Overindulge during spa week at these fab golf spas
I’m man enough to admit that real men, especially golfers with bad backs like me, love spas. In honor of national spa week this week, here’s a peek inside the top spas I’ve visited the past 12 months.
• Spa Amira at The Homestead Resort, Glen Arbor, MI – The spa, opened in 2008, might feature the most spectacular view of any spa in the Midwest. It rests on a ridge high above Lake Michigan with views of the Sleeping Bear Dunes and the Manitou Islands. On warm summer days, treatments can be done outside next to the pool. The inside might be small by most spa standards, but I like to think of it as intimate. An outdoor garden with a fireplace is a relaxing place to unwind after your treatment.
• The Crystal Spa at Crystal Mountain Resort & Spa, Thompsonville, MI – Completed late last year, the northern-Michigan-themed spa features 12 treatment rooms, private locker rooms for men and women, a manicure and pedicure area, and an outdoor meditation garden with a hot tub. The spa is the Midwest’s only LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified spa that fully incorporated green building practices. It cost $5.5 million to build the 13,000 square-foot expansion to an existing indoor pool and fitness area. Regulars consider it a priceless getaway.
• The Spa at Dromoland Castle, County Clare, Ireland – My most recent spa adventure was the shortest, just a half-hour neck and shoulders rub, but after six rounds of golf, it might have been the most affective on my well-being. The spa, completed in 2007 in the basement of a refurbished castle, offers guests an outdoor covered hot tub to unwind in. My favorite part of the spa was the five full-body massage chairs next to a roaring fire in the meditation room.
• The Sanctuary Spa at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, S.C. – This resort prides itself in blending seamlessly with the surrounding Lowcountry. The nearby natural resources inspire treatments featuring seaweed and mineral-rich muds. Southern comfort never felt so good as it does at this Mobile 5-star spa.
• The Kohler Waters Spa at the American Club, Kohler, WI – A new glass-enclosed rooftop deck with whirlpool, fireplace and lounge just adds to an already impressive array of facilities of this Mobile four-star spa. Make sure to arrive early and stay late for a treatment. The whole experience is Shangri-La.
• The Spa at The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs, CO. – From the moment the private elevator door opens to the second floor, it’s clear that guests of this spa are in for a luxurious treat. The senses are stimulated when a soft aroma grips you. The eyes overindulge in a mediation room featuring panoramic views of the surrounding Cheyenne Mountains and the award-winning golf courses. Treatments range from the 4 ½-hour Fountain of Youth to others that can cure all ills.
• The Green Reed Spa at the Sandia Resort & Casino, Albuquerque, N.M. – Don’t let your stereotype of casinos get to you. This is a high-end spa complete with large locker rooms with hot and cold tubs, a stream room and dry sauna. The soft brown tones and exquisite tile work enhance the Native American roots of the spa.
|« Sholf: the love child of golf and shuffleboard||Discovering golf in southwest Ireland never gets old »|