Five reasons to watch the Fields Open tonight
Five reasons to watch the Fields Open tonight:
1) It might be Saturday, but today is the final round of this 54-hole tournament. Wait until tomorrow to tune in and you’ll be staring a blank screen. Or some random infomercial. Or an Oscar preshow or something. Tonight’s broadcast of the Fields starts at 6:30 Eastern on The Golf Channel.
2) Jeong Jang tied the course record with a blistering 64 during yesterday’s second round. Whether you’re a fan of Jang or not, that’s some good golf right there.
3) Annika Sorenstam is still in the hunt, four strokes off the lead. If she wins this thing, that’d be back-to-back wins, a heckuva comeback after last year’s injuries sidelined the world’s best female golfer.
4) If you’re a Michelle Wie fan, you’ll love The Golf Channel’s all-Wie-all-the-time coverage?I don’t think GC missed a single shot of Wie’s one-over round yesterday, right up until the broadcast went off the air. On the other hand, if she’s the player you love to hate, well, you’ll have that much more to jeer, won’t you?
5) It’s Hawaii! Ko Olina has it all–balmy breezes, the sway of the palms, the gentle cooing of the nene. It’s like going on a little virtual vicarious vacation.
|« Paula Creamer says "Think Pink"||Michelle Wie in the lead at the Fields Open? »|
I truly don't care about Michelle Wie or the controversy between her supporters and detractors but I did watch the Golf Channel's chintzy 2hr coverage of the Fields Open.
Annika shot a -6 to get within 4 of the lead.
Paula Creamer shot a -4 to get within 2.
Even Christina Kim shot 5 under par.
Wie shot an uninspired 1 over par for a 43rd place tie. The Golf Channel had more air time for her than all the others combined. Is her father the majority stock holder in The GC? The poor kid must have a painful rash on her cheeks from all the lip contact.
The Golf Channel has on several ad spots on at various times of the day.
They always start out with a blurb about Bubbles silencing her critics. At the close, they have a brief shot of 70 time winner Annika.
TGC does seem to have a vested interest in promoting the failing golf career of Bubbles.
Alex USMC 1969-73
Isn't this about where she was last year? Dead last?
Hate to tell you this, Michelle, but your game needs a lot more work.
After her dismal performance at the Fields, one would think that they might revamp their programming. They even interviewed Bubbles after her 78 today which put her tied for last place. They seem to have hitched their wagon to the Wie star and will ride it to the bitter end.
Alex USMC 1969-73
There's a big scoop out there for the reporter who figures out who's paying them off.