« Lorena Ochoa image stirs cartoon controversy: Who knew golf could cause such unrest?Five reasons to watch the Fields Open tonight »

Comment from: Joe R [Visitor] Email
It is great to see Paula, the Pink Panther, win again. She has such determination and grit I expect we will see her win again this year. I hope it is her first major.

It interesting to note that you did not list her as one of your 5 reasons to watch the final round. She is reason # 1 for many people. Of course with your obsession of MW you might not understand this. It is also interesting to note you say almost nothing about the steady play of Paula Creamer or the quality of her golf that makes her a winner.

Thankfully since the final field was in leader order we did not have to endure the ridiculous coverage of MW as she finished dead last as the broadcast was in its early stages.
02/24/08 @ 14:16
Joe R...get along with women much? Your post started so nicely, then eroded into misogyny. How is it that JM has a Wie obsession? She wrote a book on her and wants to sell copies. Other than that, no obsession, it seems. Wie came in last, it's true. Hopefully she'll do better in the future. No one wants to see a kid's promise completely lost.
02/24/08 @ 14:32
Now, the real comment I wanted to post: Jennifer, most men eventually grow to like pink. After we get out of our homophobic adolescence, we come to accept the color as easy on the eyes. Since the caddie cannot see what's on his head, what does she/he care? The uniform is part of the contract between player and caddie.
02/24/08 @ 14:34
Comment from: Joe R [Visitor] Email
Ron Mon...

I am puzzled by your comments regarding women. Why is it wrong to question Jennifer on why she lacks substance in her comments on Paula. I think Paula deserves credit for her quality of golf and her determination to win.

As for MW I happen to like her but not how her career has been handled. I would hope that her promise is not completely lost. I think even though last year was quite difficult for her it will help her in the future.

If Jennifer has an obsession of MW is a subjective opinion that I am entitled to as you are yours. It was not just the book but many of the, in my humble opinion, over the top blogs about Michelle when she would do the least little thing good it seemed blown out of proportion.

I look forward to a colorful interesting year for the LPGA. Annika playing well, Paula playing well and Lorena ready to show she should be #1.
02/24/08 @ 15:08
Comment from: Chris Baldwin [Member] Email
Ron Mon, usually I'm the one quick to defend Mario, but Joe R has a legit point here.

We all love Mario, wish we had only met Mario 10 years earlier, yearn for the day we'll get to go to lunch with her (oh wait, maybe that's just me and Cheap Bastard) ... but let's be real, if Michelle Wie has a bad day, Super Mario does not see it. She won't write about it. It didn't happen in her world.

Which is fine. But let's not pretend otherwise. It's a little more than a author just trying to sell a book. That's insulting to Mario. This isn't a commerce decision on her part. It seems like it's a this is how I want to conduct myself decision (not that I'm speaking for her).

Think John Feinstein doesn't write anything bad about Bob Knight because he wrote a book about Knight?

Again, this is Mario's blog though. She's entitled to write about whatever she wants and not write about whatever she wants. It's her opinions.

In conclusion, I guess I realized that Ron Mon is the villian here. Again. It's insulting to charge that Mario sees no Wie wrongs because she wants to sell books. I don't buy it.

It's because she's Wie nice.

02/24/08 @ 15:23
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
Coming soon at Amazon.com...Paula Creamer...The Making of a Champion by Jennifer Mario.
02/24/08 @ 15:49
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
Aw, you guys don't really have to fight over me. How about if I give you my take?

Joe R, sorry if I didn't give substantive analysis of Paula's performance--I thought it was stellar, and she showed serious guts those last few holes to overtake Jang. But this is a blog, and substantive analysis has more place in a column, feature, or news item than in a blog. In blogs you get to talk about things like pink golf balls--while giving a shout-out to a five-time winner.

Oh, and by the way, I didn't see anything misogynistic in Joe's comment, RonMon. He complained that I didn't talk about Paula enough and my gender never came into play at all. But I appreciate your chivalrous leap to my defense nonetheless.

As for Baldwin's theory that I'm "Wie nice," what can I say, my mom taught me "If you can't say anything nice,...." I also don't harp on poor performances by Annika, Morgan Pressel, or anyone, really. I just don't see the point.

Meanwhile, it's not like there's a shortage of Wie-critical bloggers if that's what you're looking for.

But Baldwin, you have my number--call me about that lunch.

02/24/08 @ 16:28
Comment from: Joe R [Visitor] Email
Jennifer

Thank you for the clarification between the blog and a column. I also appreciate your comment about harping on poor performances....there is no point as everyone has them sometime.

I am glad you understood that gender was not at all an issue in my first comment. Have a fun lunch with Baldwin, sorry I can't be there.
02/24/08 @ 16:46
Comment from: John [Visitor] Email
Jennifer - your WieNess shows in every LPGA related blog you write. People like you and Kelly Tighlman and the rest of the toadies over at The Golf Channel are the reason Michelle Wie has so many critics among golf fans. Most of her fans are star struck celeb chasers, not golf fans.
02/24/08 @ 23:23
Lunch with Baldy? What is second prize - 2 lunches with him?

Personally, I like the head cover better than the ball. Of course, that's my bias because I'm old enough to remember when the Pink Panther cartoons were shown in theaters prior to movies.
02/25/08 @ 07:55
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
That's all I ever DO when someone mentions Paula Creamer - Think Pink! ;)

Something's put 'ronmon' off his feed recently...nearly all of his posts are either vindictive rants or (like this one) miss the point by a wide margin....I guess he should just stick to book reports.
02/25/08 @ 09:57
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
Jennifer,
If Baldwin calls you for a lunch date, be sure you take your credit card.
02/25/08 @ 10:19
Comment from: Oui Oui Oui [Visitor] Email
I can't stand JJ, I am glad Creamer took the crown.
02/25/08 @ 16:33
Comment from: Curious Joe [Visitor] Email
I think Vreamer is gritty and determined - and still likes to show that she's a girl!
04/01/08 @ 00:13

This post has 1 feedback awaiting moderation...