« Queer Eye for the golfin'-rollin' guyScore one for the little guy »

Comment from: Bridget Bell Webber [Visitor]
I think Bob Thomas is right on the mark about his publishing comments, and especially about the need to convey the excitement surrounding the game of golf.

You can tell everything you need to know about a person by playing a round of golf with him. Whether he's selfish, rude, encouraging, kind, patient, a golfer's on-course personality mirrors his off-course traits. If every engaged couple played 18 holes before the big day, half might postpone or cancel the wedding!

Passion, for life, love, relationships, is what fuels the game of golf. McLeary's Mulligan, my new mystery, is about second chances more than golf and that's why many readers have emailed me to say they didn't know golf could be so interesting.

BTW, I have read all of Bob Thomas' books and they are excellent!
05/12/05 @ 13:14
Comment from: Jim Gibbons [Visitor]
There is a huge difference in writing for the passion of the game and writing for profit and glory. Many book companies are just concerned with immediate profits and overlook the long term advantages of publishing good books. Kudos to Bob Thomas for continuing to bring to the market a quality read! I always feel good after reading Thomas and there are lingering reminders of his work later on as I play.
05/12/05 @ 13:24
Comment from: Ronald Montesano [Visitor]
I recall the glory days of Sleeping Bear Press, when a book a month from authors such as Doak, Wallach, Wright, Wexler, Hollingsworth, Veron, and others would grace the shelves. For every ten books that cross our reviewer's desk, at least one is a stinker, written with passion, but without a sense for telling a story (or a sense for grammar.) The other nine, however, are filled with both passion and skill, and portray the sport or game or pastime in all its hues.
05/12/05 @ 13:46
Comment from: Bob Thomas [Visitor]
Ron, I agree with you about days past and golf books. Sleeping Bear had a good thing going at the time. It was probably the corruption that drove them out of business. I don't believe that Sleeping Bear could get his books onto the shelves because either he refused to go low with his pricing, or there were just too many publishers who would break the law and give one or two large distributors illegally low prices.
05/13/05 @ 07:29
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
Two books that I know of that convey passion for the game are:

Driving Myself Crazy, by Jessica Maxwell. Story of a woman learning the game and developing lots of passion for it.

My Usual Game, by David Owen. Funny stuff about hackers like us who just plain LOVE the game.

And if all else fails, stick with the Internet. There's plenty of golf passion to be found right here.

Jennifer
05/13/05 @ 10:02
Comment from: Robert Freer [Visitor]
I am the classic duffer who works too much on weekends and makes it to the course too infrequently. Bob Thomas' books---I have read them all---capture the magic of this game of life. Bob's books aren't just for avid golfers they are for all of us.
05/13/05 @ 11:03
Comment from: Jim McCright [Visitor]
I've had the pleasure of reading all of Bob Thomas's books several times each. They don't simply show Bob's passion for the game, his characters show passion for golf. There are no dull chapters in his books. That is due in part to Bob's technique of minimizing narative and maximizing descriptive conversation. Having spent some time with Ben Hogan,I was so inspired by Hogan's Secret that I wrote my own "Secret" book, The Ultimate Golf Secret. It is a mental instruction book that is not dull nor does it lack passion. Many thanks to Bob.

05/13/05 @ 11:28
Comment from: Phil Hansen [Visitor]
What's a "golf-authoring" person to do? Something is very wrong with "the system" when an author like Thomas can not make even a typical wage via their demonstrated writing excellence for their passion! As a financial backer and as a "long-distance" friend of Thomas, I can vouch for his many years of fighting the good fight against a publishing system that MUST be broken! How do we get them to start fighting fair?
05/14/05 @ 12:57
Comment from: Dr Phil Collier [Visitor]
Thomas has a good point. His book on Hogan was the most entertaining fictional golf book I've ever read......I wish I could read more like it...
05/17/05 @ 09:41
Comment from: Tom [Visitor]
I have never read anything by Bob Thomas, but I will. I have a library of golf instruction books. No passion there. Passion comes from Bernard Darwin, P.G. Wodehouse, Michael Murphy, and Dan Jenkins. And I suspect there are many unknown authors who put out great works. I'm listening if anyone can turn me on to them.
06/07/05 @ 18:25
Comment from: Tim Schoch [Visitor]
It is sad to think that an author devalues his work enough to quit writing because of a bad publishing experience. That doesn't mean that Bob isn't right on the mark, but I wouldn't give up golf if my gallery suddenly turned on me and started booing...if I had a gallery...if I had game! The passion, the fire, burns within us and ignites our writing. Keep writing. That's our job. That's our life. Take dead-aim and sooner or later we'll all be dancing.
06/23/05 @ 11:30
Comment from: Bob Thomas [Visitor]
response to Tim Schoch... Tim, I didn't give up writing. It was my first golof book, Ben Hogan's Secret that was corrupted. I won my rights back in a legal settlement with my publisher, Macmillan when the book sat at 24,000 in sales. The book is now close to 100,000 in sales. Like Hogan, one of my heroes, give up is not in my name. My second book, Golf Gave Me Something to Love is the first golf book (that I know of) to be asked to by submitted by a staff member of the Pulitzer Committee. My third book, Why Bobby Jones Quit is getting rave reviews and my fourth book, The Old Man and His Game will be out in about two months.
But I'd love you to be in my shoes for just a bit. Getting $10.000 for something that you worked on for two years is not my idea of appropriate reward. And even though your book is selling well, the knowledge that you will not be getting royalties can hurt --a lot. If you had the same situation in your work, I doubt that you either would or could continue.. Whatever you're doing, has to bring you joy and pay the bills. If either one of those accomplishments is not being met, I'd recommend that you move on.
Oh, and the corruption in golf books. It's still there. Many of my fellow authors are being cheated whilst I type this.. Until we bring golf books back into the fray of promoting our great game, golf itself will continue to suffer.
07/05/05 @ 20:26
Comment from: Brent Bodefeld [Visitor]
In regards to golf books: It just so happens that I have an idea for a wonderful coffee table golf book with plenty of curb appeal. Kiel, can we converse?

bbodefeld at yahoo
09/29/05 @ 14:43
Comment from: S Ellis [Visitor]
I am looking for the Bob Thomas PGA professional, who is affialited with video swing systems...Please contact me ASAP email at coach-mee at yahoo.com
09/09/06 @ 15:10
Comment from: Billy Bob [Visitor] Email
"They were who we thought they were." -- Dennis Green

Same goes for any publishing. If you are not Stephen King, forget about getting rich.

I wrote and published a golf book just so I could say I did. I knew I'd never get the money it deserved.

Book, magazine distributors in each region or city are the biggest thieves in publishing history.

Another thing that bugs me are regional golf magazines who announce their inflated distribution numbers to sell ads. Go by the golf course where the magazines are free and you see stacks and stacks of the magazine that get dumped in the trash every month.
12/15/07 @ 10:06
Just reread this one, and one of the respondents published one of my five worst golf books ever. Dare we risk alienating a golf writership by going public with our thoughts on books that never should have been published?
12/30/07 @ 17:21
12/30/07 @ 17:28
Comment from: HMGI [Visitor]
Is this the Bob Thomas associated with the Video Swing Systems machine? If so, I and many other people would like information about his affiation with the Video Swing Systems and a sales person named Craig Evans. Thanks. Anyone with information about this, please email me. Thanks.
03/24/08 @ 02:47

Dates: July 14, 2014 - October 31, 2014
Wild Rock / Wilderness Resort golf packages - One Round is Never Enough! Why rush through a great golf vacation. We have lodging options that range from hotel rooms, guest suites, condos and villas, all the way up to private cabins large enough to accommodate 20 guests. Package rates are per person and include one-nights lodging at Wilderness Resort, green fees, golf cart, use of the practice facility, and lunch at the clubhouse.