« Michelle Wie at the John Deere ClassicTom Cruise & Katie Holmes: Who cares? »

Comment from: RJ [Visitor]
and by watching you support the very event you despise...way to go genius...honestly, is everyone on this site this hypocritical and illogical in their arguments? cripes
06/29/05 @ 12:42
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor]
Who said I "despised" it? I said I was ambivalent. Look it up, RJ. cripes...
06/29/05 @ 13:12
Comment from: Mike Hamilton [Visitor]
Hey, I like watching the shootout and it doesn't really matter to me how much these guys win. It is nice to see them as just a bunch of guys out having a good time, joking with one another. The only thing missing is a cooler of beer to enjoy between holes.
06/30/05 @ 07:21
I'm ambivalent about despising . . . oh, never mind. One of the reasons our household doesn't have cable t.v. is the impending arrival of The Ocho; having so many t.v. programs to choose from would make me want to watch them. So I restrict my addiction to tens of minutes a day on the web, and feel I am a better member of the family for it. That said, it is a razor's edge: par three is different and cool. It would make sense that a sweet par three course (holes ranging from 80 to 280 yards) that tested every club in the bag ought to make a buck for a community. It would make sense that hole-in-one potential on every swing would make golf exciting. However, overwhelmed as we are with fake-reality t.v., made-for-tv golf events where the rich (in personality, talent and finances) get richer are not going away. While we would want to see the down-on-her/his-luck person triumph in a Horatio Alger match play event, the Phils, Lees, Andies, and Booms of the world captivate us as much with their presence as with their play.
07/03/05 @ 09:05
Comment from: Mike Hamilton [Visitor]
One additional comment, have the organizers ever given thought to the possibility of having the fans of this format submit their names to take a place of one of the foursome and have a chance at some cash? How exciting would it be to watch three pros and one weekend/weekday duffer all compete and have a chance at a million dollars for a hole in one. It could be a lifechanging moment for a regular Joe and on a par 3 hole, we all have the same chance to get lucky. Just an idea.
07/06/05 @ 08:14
Comment from: Terry Hanson [Visitor]
Doing a little surfing and saw your blog on the ING Par 3 Shootout, Kiel.. I am one of the organizers having made the deal for the course seven years ago for ESPN and I continue to work the event yearly. I have also made note of your comment, Mike Hamilton, about regular guys (like us!!) being a part of that event. I promise I will look into it and appreciate guys like Kiel watching and for constructive comments like Mike suggested.. You might be surprised how much guys like me do listen to folks like yourselves who follow the game. The PGA Tour sanctioning of this event does not make some of the things I have heard in the past as easy as it may appear like adding Annika to the field; changing dates, etc etc, but that does not mean we do not listen or try to improve this event every year. You keep watching and we'll keep trying.....Terry Hanson
07/23/05 @ 19:09
Comment from: Greg Pinelli [Visitor]
Terry..Glad you're so amenable to suggestions! Instead of a group of has beens lets have a par 3 face off where some real battle of the sexes blood might boil....Paula and Annika against Vijay and Phil. Who knows...this might actually mark the watershed where women compete with men on an equal or better basis. Remember...if you steal this idea and pretend you thought of it on some beach somewhere...the whole world knows...By the by..and I don't mean this in a nasty way. But, really, how come all you smart TV guys couldn't think of this one earlier??
08/03/05 @ 20:39
Comment from: Mike Hamilton [Visitor]
Thanks Terry for your comments to my last post. It is nice to know that there are others out there who take a moment to listen to others and consider other options that they may have not thought about before. I live in Dayton Ohio and had the pleasure of attending the Senior Open held here last week. It was also my first time attending a USGA event and I had the time of my life. It was great watching the guys I grew up watching and seeing them play. I was able to see Arnold Palmer on his last, or at least what he said was his last round in a Major. What a dream come true to be able to see the golfers my Dad and I watched after playing our early morning Sunday round. Keep up the good work the the Par Three shootout. My ultimate fantasy would be to be able to play a round of golf with Lee Trevino. He was my fathers favorite golfer and after my Dad passed away in 1987, I have really missed being able to play golf with the person who instilled in me the thrill for the game. Maybe someday, I will be fortunate enough to realize my dream but who knows. Once again, thanks again for listening......Mike Hamilton
08/04/05 @ 08:37
Comment from: Terry Hanson [Visitor]
Greg and Mike: a personal e mail sent me back to this site..One thing I've learned is to listen to the viewer as the ultimate consumer..The Annika and Paula idea would certainly improve the scenery and this idea and many, many others are all considered when I spend my nine months of the year in Fiji where all of my TV friends gather to sit on the beach..Seriously; good ideas, but the buisness proposition is with the PGA Tour in terms of sanctioning and their org fills the type of field we must present. TV Releases, rights fees, etc make this more complicated than it appears, but thanks for the idea...Mike, Thanks for the kind words as well; I will respond to you separately.....
08/04/05 @ 10:42