« Unforeseen benefits of golf technologyChecking 2005 Major Predictions »

Comment from: Archie Nova [Visitor]
The problem with the idea is that by narrowing the pro landing area to a "sliver" you are also narrowing the second shot landing area for shorter hitting mortals (especially seniors and women) thus making their game even more difficult. A 10 to 15% rollback in the top end carry distance of all balls would help bring the old courses back. I also think that it would be a boon to the equipment and ball manufacturers to know that say 5 years from now when a scheduled rollback could be put into place, that many people serious about their games would have to shell out even more money for the newer conforming (although less explosive) technology.
08/22/05 @ 14:32
Comment from: Bob [Visitor]
I think it's a great idea. I am a (good) scratch golfer. 457 for me is a drive and a 6 iron - Tiger et al? Drive and wedge. Clearly we are not all playing the same game. Maybe we should have Championship par? Funny thing is, the scores don't reflect the "length". Tiger still shot 1 over Sunday.
08/22/05 @ 16:48
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Excellent idea. What is "par" anyway? A lot of people have trouble defining that. Par for Tiger Woods is not par for you or me.
08/22/05 @ 18:17
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Good idea.

And especially about tightening the fairways at certain points.

I think if you hit a massive drive, there should be no margin for error. If long hitters see terrible dangers and disasters at the 350 yard mark, they won't be going near it!
08/22/05 @ 19:57
Comment from: Charrongolf [Visitor]
Wrong. These new drivers and balls are ridiculous. My father 60+ years old driving the ball longer than he ever has is ridiculous. He's happy, but the game isn't. When are the manufacturers going to come out with a 600+cc driver? Let's get back to some normalcy.
08/24/05 @ 06:59
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
I say stop worrying about everything. Regardless of lower than historical scoring, it's still a relative test of skill for the players in a given tournament. So what if they are under par by 5-10 shots more than they were 20-30 years ago. It's kinda like the career money list - the older players are easily eclipsed by todays players because of the change in purses.

However, it would be nice if designers built more courses like Pinehurst No. 2, where the challenges increase the closer you get to the green and where rough needs only to be 3 inches deep to test the best players in the world. And, amazingly, it's a lot of fun to play for golfers of all skill levels. Imagine that.
08/24/05 @ 10:19
Comment from: C.B. [Visitor]
How does 'shortening par' change anything? The cumulative four round score is still measured against the other players, right? Your plan only works if par is fixed to a sliding scale with an individual player's length.

Par and Bogie are just words. The number on Sunday isn't really about how many over or under someone is it is about how many strokes they took for 72 holes. Would it assuage your ego to see that Tiger was only 4 under at Augusta instead of 12 even if his four round total was the same? Are you that simple?

Basically the only part of your idea that is substantive is growing rough. I suppose that article has already been published though.
08/25/05 @ 15:55
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
Here's a better idea to test the pros shotmaking skill: have one tournament where the players are limited to three clubs ... any 3 they want.

If you ever want to play a quick nine and have a little fun, give it a try.
08/26/05 @ 11:05
Comment from: Jim Beall [Visitor]
No, the answer is to have the Pros go back to hitting woods. I mean real wood!! As in persimmon. That would shorten things up, bring all the old courses back in play, and allow us to compare the good players of the past with the good players of the present. The equipment makers can keep selling us amateurs the high tech equipment, and I'm sure many of us would start buying WOODS again if the pros were playing them. I think 370 yard and 427 yard drives are ridiculous and are destroying the integrity of the grand old game.
08/28/05 @ 23:56
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
I think poster C.B. sort of missed the point (or I did). I think what Kiel was saying is 'make the decision to "go long" be one that could be costlier score-wise' - which is probably the best thing we can hope for. I don't see the pros (or us) going back to wood woods or other things that don't work as well - even though poster Shanks has an interesting idea there.
08/30/05 @ 14:12
Comment from: Jason [Visitor]
Par is just a relative term. All that really matters is the number of shots to complete the golf course. I believe, and have not had the time to check, the entire "under par" idea is a way to keep it simple for those who are not golf purists.

If you notice tournaments such as the Masters, they refer to players at the end by their total score 282 or 280 rather than 6-under or 8-under.

You can make courses par 50, but the winner will always be the person who completes the course in the fewest number of shots.
08/31/05 @ 11:12
Comment from: JPC [Visitor]
Appleby's rolled about 150 yards of the total 427.

Why is it that pros have to play on concrete fairways. A bit more water would surely do the job. After all, with a normal roll (like we all get at our clubs)only a small number of competitors would carry over 300 yards.
08/31/05 @ 11:59
Comment from: James COULTHARD [Visitor]
Here's a really cheap way to make a course more difficult. Make the holes smaller.
09/08/05 @ 19:45
Comment from: Kasey Dunn [Visitor] Email
Is golf boring or fun?? i think its fun but many people in this town thinks its so boring? so i'm writing a report about it in school..because when i grow up i want to be a pro!!
12/07/06 @ 09:26
Wer forscht nach einem presseportale oder freie Internet Empfehlungen? Ich habe da viele im Web angetroffen.
12/13/10 @ 11:06
Comment from: new found land dogs [Visitor]
Peculiar this post is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it used to be listed at the first page. I guess your doing one thing proper if Google likes you sufficient to put you on the first page of a non related search.
12/29/10 @ 12:25
Comment from: ppp cure [Visitor]
I feel that is an interesting point, it made me assume a bit. Thank you for sparking my thinking cap. Once in a while I am getting so much in a rut that I just feel like a record.
12/30/10 @ 13:20
I like the valuable knowledge you be offering for your articles. I can bookmark your blog and have my youngsters test up right here generally. I’m quite positive they will learn a number of new stuff here than anyone else!
12/30/10 @ 22:44
Comment from: download Ebooks [Visitor]
Odd this put up is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it surely used to be listed on the first page. I guess your doing something proper if Google likes you adequate to position you at the first page of a non similar search.
12/31/10 @ 05:55
Comment from: how to use bandoo [Visitor]
I’m speechless. This is a very good blog and really engaging too. Nice paintings! That’s now not truly much coming from an beginner publisher like me, but it surely’s all I may say after diving into your posts. Nice grammar and vocabulary. No longer like other blogs. You in reality understand what you?re talking about too. Such a lot that you just made me need to explore more. Your blog has grow to be a stepping stone for me, my friend.
01/01/11 @ 19:21
Whats up, I simply hopped over for your website by way of StumbleUpon. No longer one thing I would generally learn, but I favored your thoughts none the less. Thank you for making one thing price reading.
01/08/11 @ 12:39
Comment from: phone spy [Visitor]
Thanks for making the honest effort to discuss this. I feel very sturdy approximately it and wish to read more. If it’s OK, as you achieve more in depth knowledge, could you thoughts including extra articles very similar to this one with more information? It would be extremely useful and helpful for me and my friends.
01/11/11 @ 16:11
Comment from: nem alma cihazi [Visitor]
Ev,Havuz ve Endüstriyel Tip Nem Alma Cihazları.Nem Sorununuza %100 Çözüm.
01/14/11 @ 10:21
Jedes neues Lebensjahr obliegen sich erfolgssichere Autohalter über unbedeutende und immense Schäden betrüben, die ohne eine billige Pkw Versicherungen nicht bezahlbar wären.
01/14/11 @ 11:07
Excellent points?I'd note that as any person who really doesn't write on blogs a lot (in fact, this may be my first publish), I don't suppose the term 'lurker' is very becoming to a non-posting reader. It's not your fault the least bit , but perhaps the blogosphere could get a hold of a greater, non-creepy identify for the 90% people that revel in studying the content .
01/14/11 @ 23:53