« Congress should stay out of the BCSWhy I despise Raymond Floyd »

Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Agree! Bunch of spoiled, coddled fat cats! Perfect Republicans!
11/22/05 @ 13:32
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Firstly, as regards not many people reading your blogs, you are one of the better bloggers around here.

I agree with you on the 3 star players.
As regards Fred Funk, I think you have a point, in that he doesn't hit it too much further than Annika.

I also don't think the 248 yards average for Annika is completely accurate, cause women's courses are just set up differently. Sure there are plenty of holes where it could be bombed out there, but there is several where if you hit it too long you would be in trouble. I think it's fair to say, if Tiger played an lpga course, his average would be a bit lower.

As regards Funky, it was just a slip of the tongue. He doesn't like democratic politics. Big deal. I'm sure he doesn't hate democrats as such.

Since you brought up the topic of hatred. Wasn't Chris Dimarco talking recently about his HATRED for the european ryder cup team. Actually he said there was hatred involved in the ryder cup. Since the Europeans have all said there is none from them, I guess all the hatred must belong to DiMarco .... or could it be possible that the veteran of ONE ryder cup, is jealous at having got throunced by the europeans. Could it be that!
11/22/05 @ 14:30
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Wie's average was 271.3 yards at the John Deere Classic.

I don't think she is that far ahead of (quoting Kiel) Annika: 248 yards.

In pga Annika would be maybe 260 ?
11/22/05 @ 14:39
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Agreed, Norman. I would be willing to wager that Annika outdrives Funky on at least two holes during the Skins Game.

I've watched Annika bomb it 280+ in person on the range and on courses that allow it.
11/22/05 @ 15:06
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Ah-ha! I thought that seemed short, too. That's why I rounded up. Thanks for the clarification!
11/22/05 @ 15:24
Comment from: Rodney [Visitor]
I also looked up these driving stats before too and found it very strange how the lpga longest drives almost join at the bottom of the pga drives.

eg. 270.3 for the top women, Brittany Lincicome, would beat only 6 on the pga tour list of 202 players.

Corey Pavin the shortest driver at 258.7 yards would be joined 13th on the lpga tour.

Of the short drivers, obviously Fred Funk is the most successful this season with $2,830,046 and is 11th on the money list. So the women do have some chance.

Norman mentioned above, that the women would drive longer if on mens courses. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, I guess the longest drives on the lpga would be up slightly further on the pga long drives list.
11/22/05 @ 16:16
Comment from: Mark Nessmith [Visitor]
Kiel, you hypocrite! Over here you have NO problem proclaiming hatred for an entire group of people (golf legends and their sons who run you off a cart path — nearly running over your foot). Yet now you're branding Fred Funk a bad guy just because he hates half the country! Jeez!
11/23/05 @ 06:51
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Ahh, Mark. Irony duly noted. :)

Nonetheless, I never said I "hated" Ray Floyd. But point taken: Maybe every Democrat has almost run over Funky's foot at one time or another.
11/23/05 @ 09:53
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
I'm not from America so am I right in saying the following:

The Republican party stands for:
- lots of guns for everybody, big machine guns, as many as you can get.
- lower taxes for the rich.
- no abortion, thus saving lives.

The Democrat party stands for:
- greater gun control, thus saving lives.
- higher taxes for the rich and throughing out tonnes of social welfare to those who can't be bothered getting jobs as well as those no able to.
- abortion, thus killing more than they are saving by greater gun control.

Is there any other MAJOR policies I should be aware of.
11/23/05 @ 14:12
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
throughing (above) should be throwing.
11/23/05 @ 14:20
Comment from: Denver Player [Visitor]
Kiel,

Give me a break with Funk. Please tell me at one time or another you haven't made a comment like "I hate those so and so's". If you haven't, I'll come over and knight you myself.

Stupid to say? Yes. But to call him a hate filled short-knocker is just plain stupid. And much beneath you.

Asking about Funky's qualifications to be in the Skins game is fair. Debate the continued need for the Skins game. Talk about whether Annika belongs. Create dialogue on why Freddy is good during the silly season, but doesn't seem to be able to win during the regular season. But don't sink to the Baldwin and McDonald level.

11/24/05 @ 11:53
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Tiger must be due some poor play at this stage.

The funny thing is Funky will probably win this thing, just to confuse us all.

It would be nice for Annika to do well. It is just so difficult to envisage her winning any hole though.
The sad thing is Tiger's 3 wood will go further than Annika and Fred's drivers.
11/24/05 @ 14:13
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor]
Denver--You hit the nail on the head. The only concievable reason Funky's in the field is because he's purportedly such a great guy. I raised the issue of the quote to point out that he might not be so great after all. In which case, there's no reason for him to be included.

And just by the way, that term was hyperbolic (purposely), but not stupid (at least arguably).
11/24/05 @ 14:31
Comment from: Denver Player [Visitor]
Kiel,

A great guy to you may be a schmuck to me. Seems pointless to debate who's a nice guy, who's not.

I would agree that he doesn't belong. In my mind, nor does Annika or Couples, for that matter. But who wants to play in this thing anymore?

Many rip Tiger or Phil for skipping out on the occasional tournament, but when we look at made-for-tv crap like the Skins game, who can blame them? I think it may be time to retire the Skins game for awhile.
11/25/05 @ 08:44
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email
Actually Norman, the main difference between the two was that Republicans wanted small government while democrats wanted a larger one. But they are pretty equal on the issue now it seems, and actually pretty quiet about it.

The issues you brought up are pretty much meaningless peripherals. On most issues both sides are more or less on the same page, and I believe a conservative in the U.S. would be a centrist liberal in the UK.

Really the best way to tell them apart is that the republicans are a lot louder and more obnoxious while the democrats are prone to spontaneous pants wettings.

--WKW
11/25/05 @ 10:27
Comment from: Rob G [Visitor]
Now that Funk won day 1 in very entertaining style you Funk haters look pretty stupid!
11/26/05 @ 16:17
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Norman, you're on the right track regarding Dems vs Republicans. Here are some other factors that may enable you to gain some insight into US politics.

-- Those Republicans who are "hawks" on the Iraq war are generally those who did everything to avoid actually fighting themselves when they had the chance. See "Chicken Hawk" Dick Cheney, with six student deferments, and George Bush, who cowered in the National Guard, before finally not bothering to show up.

-- Republicans want NO taxes for the rich, especially their corporate buddies.

-- Democrats generally mean well, but have been bullied by the Republicans into complete incompetence, though they have started to show backbone of late.

-- As far as gun control, no real party difference. It's so violent here, you MUST bear firearms just to take your dog for a walk.

-- Regarding abortion, the Republicans are simply pandering to their far-right wacko wing, the religious nuts who like to bomb abortion clinics.

Hope that helps.

I'm an Independent by the way, disgusted with both parties.

11/27/05 @ 08:58
Comment from: Denver Player [Visitor]
Norman,

Politics aren't that simple here in the US. Both parties are experiencing an identity crisis of sorts, because individual issues create splinters across party lines.

1. Gun control - NRA usually aligns itself with the Republican party. Both parties generally believe in the right to bear arms, but have knock-down, drag-outs on gun control law. (What types of weapons, registration/privacy laws, etc.)

2. Lower taxes for the rich - We have a tiered tax system in the US. So if you make more $$, you pay a higher % of your pay in taxes. Generally the Republicans believe in order to stimulate the economy, reducing the tax burden on the rich will stimulate job growth, expansion, etc, for corporations and small business owners. They believe in a trickle-down effect througout the middle and lower income citizens. Democrats generally believe in reducing the tax burden on the lower income citizens and investing in job training, education, etc. They believe in a social welfare, of sorts, and that by investing in the lower income strata, we can "raise the tide", so to speak.

3. Abortion - Far right of the Republican party believes no abortion should be legal. Far left of the Democratic party generally believes that all abortion should be legal. In the middle, you have all types of variances on this issue. This is one of the issues creating divides within the Republican and Democratic parties. There are many pro-choice Republicans and pro-life Democrats, which make convention time interesting to watch.

But alas, there are some axioms you can still live by:

Republicans usually include:
1. CEO's
2. Military
3. Professional Golfers

Democrats usually include:
1. Lawyers
2. Airline employees and union labor
3. Media (apparently including golf writers on this site)

So Norman, be careful where you get your political advice from. Tim McDonald may not be the best source for purposes of your US political enlightenment.
11/27/05 @ 10:50
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Well thanks to Denver Player, Tim McDonald, and William K. Wolfrum, for the further insight into US politics.

To be very honest, it sound pretty familiar with here in Ireland. At the moment a centre party & a right wing party are in governemnt together.
However, all the 4 major party's are all moving rapidly more and more into the centre. Sound familiar?

If I had a US vote, I would probably just go with the candidate.
I am in favour of the US taking out dictatorships, but against the fact that the US armed them and is probably arming many more at the moment.
On the abortion thing, I definetely don't support people just having abortions as if they were getting a hair cut or something, and that seems to be many peoples perception.
Gun control is just a joke over there, I'm glad we don't have your problems, even though there are some drug gangs getting hold of some automatic weapons, but they are few in numbers.

By the way, if I had a vote in the last election, I would've voted for Bush over Kerry. I hope Hilary Clinton doesn't get in next time, I don't trust her.
11/27/05 @ 16:15
Comment from: Mark [Visitor]
HAH!!! Ready to eat your words! Funk sweeps Sunday Skins!
11/27/05 @ 16:18
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Norman said:
The funny thing is Funky will probably win this thing, just to confuse us all.
***************************

So someone predicted the result.
11/27/05 @ 18:47
Comment from: Mike Hamilton [Visitor]
Looks like the laid back, easy going Funk had the last laugh taking the title as oldest winner. Hmmmm, maybe there is something to not letting your temper get in the way of your game and just enjoying the day out in the sun. Way to go, Freddie. And by the way, you looked great in the skirt. LOL
11/28/05 @ 08:06
Comment from: Bill M. [Visitor]
I enjoyed watching the skins game more this year than in recent years. I thought the skirt deal with Fred & Annika was hilarious. I give Fred a lot of credit for being the sport he was about the situation. And, as he so effectively demonstrated, it isn't just the length of the drive that matters. His win may have done more for the skins game than had any of the other participants won. (one man's opinion) There seemed to be more banter and good-natured jabs tossed back and forth this year too. That is more like the game I enjoy playing (with the exception of the $$ and skill levels involved).
11/28/05 @ 14:57
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Norman, there's also a reliable way to determine a person's political philosophies visually.

Republicans are usually those with scowls and digestive track problems.

Democrats are usually those with blow-dried hairdos and cheap suits.

Independents like me can usually be recognized by their steely gaze and steadfast demeanor.
11/30/05 @ 11:46
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Tim, the Republican scowl, seems to fit Paula Creamer about half the time. Then again she has a big smile across her face the other half, so I don't know what she is.
I guess now that she is rich, maybe she is a republican.
11/30/05 @ 16:05
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email
First of all, damn that Fred Funk for destroying a perfectly good "mock Fred Funk" blog. D'oh!

Secondly, Norman, I think one of the things the U.S. needs to get back to is to start voting for whom they like and who represents them the best. Just because they offer two stiffs every four years doesn't mean we have to vote for them.

The fear of "wasting a vote" by voting for someone who will likely not win is a fear U.S. voters need to overcome.

In my lifetime, only John Anderson and Ross Perot had decent 3rd-party runs, Perot especially. Then the lil' bugger kinda went nuts.

--WKW
12/01/05 @ 06:00
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Mr. Wolfram speaks the truth--Damn that Funky little dude. Hey, I was a big a Funk fan as anyone before the "hate" comment came out. He certainly did make the Skins Game more enjoyable this year. It just goes to prove that golf can be played by anyone against anyone. Heck, you or I could even win the odd skin against a field of pros--especially the way everyone other than Funky was putting last weekend.

Finally, I have promised myself to keep my mouth mainly shut about politics, but I'll say that I come from Minnesota originally. You know, the state that elected Jesse "The Body" Ventura as governor a few years back. Folks were tired of the two parties thinking they owned the place. Funny, though. If you'd asked me whenthe movie Predator came out which two cast members would be governors someday, I would have guessed Carl Weathers and, um, the Predator.
12/01/05 @ 17:00
Comment from: Denver Player [Visitor]
Tim,

It's digestive "tract", my friend.

For the Democrats you forgot the cheap plasic surgery. Have you seen Nancy Pelosi? She is beginning to look like Joan Rivers.

And by the way, Ross Perot has ALWAYS been nuts.

I can't say that Admiral Stockdale had the "steely gaze and steadfast demeanor" that you claim independents possess. A great american in his military life, but a bit of a buffoon in his short political one.
12/01/05 @ 18:43
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
William, I think the US could do with the PR system we have here.

Basically, imagine you have 3 candidates:
Voters go in and number the candidates in order of their preference.
Bush gets 47%
Kerry 42%
Baldwin 11%

Next what happens is Baldwin gets eliminated, and the number 2 votes from his votes, are distributed.

So image 5% goes to Bush and 6% goes to Kerry.
Then Bush is on 52% and Kerry on 48%, so Bush is elected.

This is good, because people voting for Baldwin, won't feel that they are wasting their vote, because when he gets eliminated, their votes goes on.
12/03/05 @ 09:38
Comment from: skip snead [Visitor]
How wrong you were... Funk is rad!!! He blew everyone's doors off at the Skins game, even Tigers... so quit kissing butt and take it like a man. Funk golfs better than you ever will
12/13/05 @ 00:51