« Tom Wishon's "12 Myths That Could Wreck Your Golf Game""The Secret" to the perfect golf swing is still elusive »

Nah, it'll never happen. Sabbatini would have to settle down, Cink would have to get excited, and KJ Choi would have to get ... well, I don't know exactly what he'd have to get. Stephen Ames can do it, though. Any other major Nike guys out there? Does Leonard play it?
01/31/06 @ 13:53
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Hey Ron--

KJ Choi already used it to win the Chrysler Classic Greensboro Open, a couple weeks after putting it in his bag.
01/31/06 @ 17:27
Comment from: Jason [Visitor]
I couldn't let the "The SQ might just make a run at TaylorMade's r7 dominance on Tour" comment go.

At the Buick Invitational:

63 Total TaylorMade drivers
14 Total Nike drivers

27 TaylorMade r7 425 drivers
23 TaylorMade r7 quad drivers
13 Nike SasQuatch drivers

1 Nike driver in the top ten
6 TaylorMade drivers in the top ten
(total of 14 players, including ties)

Yes, I know, 0 TaylorMade drivers won, but let's not get carried away and talk about dominance ending yet...
01/31/06 @ 21:05
Nice zing, Mr. Equipment. All right, my interest is piqued. What about Azinger? Nice comeback story if he wins with it. Is he playing it? How about Duval? Unleash your inner mountain-man, and return to tour glory ... Now there's a tag line.
01/31/06 @ 23:56
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Point taken, Jason; however, the SQ has been around for just a few months, while the r7 and others have been out for a couple of years. Considering this difference in tenure, the SQ's entry has been relatively dramatic in terms of numbers and performance.
02/01/06 @ 10:43
Comment from: Jason [Visitor]
The r7 425 was released after the SQ. Its first tournament was less than a month ago at the Mercedes, in which it was the #1 driver model. It is growing at a much faster rate on tour than anything else, with many top ten finishes already (just no wins yet, which is why you may not have noticed).
02/01/06 @ 18:31
Comment from: jon [Visitor]
I became a firm believer in max vol and max corr drivers. Even the old Taylormader 580 is better than R7 in my book. I think the screws on the drivers are the biggest gimmicks in the world and totally useless. It assumes that you will always play a same shot, usually slice. What is the point of having the screws when you can't adjust then on the course to play different shots. I am still pissed off at the evil folks at the Taylormade who phased out r580. Now, I have 5 drivers and still not happy.
02/02/06 @ 06:55
Comment from: Jason [Visitor]
Actually, Movable Weight Technology does not assume you will play the same shot. Certainly, if your standard shot is a slice, you can keep the weights in a position to minimize it. However, you can adjust to course conditions (keep the ball down on a windy day), changes in your swing (I seem to be hitting the ball too low today), or dial it into the exact positioning to get the most distance.

Most drivers have some sort of slice-fighting features built into it, but if you fix your slice, you can't use the driver any more. With an r7, you can move the weights as you improve.
02/02/06 @ 13:10
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Ok, I'm sensing that Jason might be a TaylorMade rep. He capitalizes "Movable Weight Technology," for Pete's sake!

Just to clarify: The weighting does provide the best benefit to consistent swings (just like all clubs). You CANNOT (legally) change the weights during a round. And for those who have inconsistent swings, the big question whether it's the weighting's or the swing's fault can be vexing.
02/02/06 @ 13:47
Comment from: Nick [Visitor]
If you can substantiate the statement that Tiger used a standard model SQ driver, I will be willing to eat one of your shoes, and chase it down with a sock.

If you are a spokesperson for Nike I can understand you blatant disregard for the truth in this matter because that is what the Tiger marketing campaign is founded on. But come on, a standard model??? Look at the photo's of his driver and then try to go buy one just like it...

02/02/06 @ 14:32
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Nick--

I was quoting what I said in reponse to a previous blog:

"According to Nike Golf's media relations person Beth Gast: 'Yes, Tiger played the standard version.'"

Different shaft, yes. But according to the Nike PR person (whom you may believe or not), the head was the standard one, not the Tour model.

That's all I can say. I am not a Nike spokesperson, but did quote one.

So I don't know if this qualifies a shoe-eating. Maybe a nibble on the lace?
02/02/06 @ 14:41
Comment from: jon [Visitor]
Look, I love Taylormade R580 head, and I don't mind R5. I just don't want any screws in my driver. My problem isn't the slice; I can fade or draw but not consistently. My problem in short is the consistency. I am not buying any drivers with screws. Why can't Taylormade give the consumers the option of buying max corr and vol driver like R580 without the screws. The forgiveness of the max vol and corr drivers is awesome. I love to buy R5 without the screws. You are making me play with Titleist(God save me if I mishit), Cleveland ( hate the sound) or Japanese clubs like Srixon ( pin ball head). Please. I am begging you. Give the consumer the option of playing Taylkormade club without the screws. P.S. sorry for the rant.
02/02/06 @ 18:21
Comment from: Jason [Visitor]
Yes, I do work for TaylorMade -- I apologize if I wasn't completely clear.

My only comment for you if you don't want weights in your driver is -- don't move them. The driver will be just like any other driver that has a specific weight configuration, and the weights are positioned to maximize forgiveness. Then, if you do get more consistent, or decide to experiment, you have the option of adjusting. While the main advantage of the movable weight is to move it, it's not like the club won't work if you don't.

By the way, the R580 is only 400cc -- the r5 is 450cc, and the new r7 460 (coming soon) is, as you would imagine, 460cc. Try the new clubs -- I bet you'll find them even better than your 580. There's no reason to play with other equipment. Come home.

--- end of marketing message ---
02/03/06 @ 11:21
Clubs come and go. "It's the monkey not the stick."
02/05/06 @ 08:48
Comment from: Jon [Visitor]
(in my best imitation of Ronnie) Mike Cortson. How dare you? Are you calling me a monkey? You big baboon. What is this crap: "Clubs come and go. It is the monkey not the stick." What do you want me to do? Go to the zoo and watch monkeys play with their sticks? What am I supposed to hit my golf balls with while "the clubs come and go?" A monkey's stick? I am not happy with my driver and I am simply trying to find an approprieate club that won't lose me much money on the course. Good day. Lol
02/05/06 @ 09:13
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor]
A-hem. Hey Ron, I guess Sabbatini settled down. Another SQ win. Almost creepy. Just to be clear, I don't have any interest in the SQ's success one way or another; I just report the trends.
02/20/06 @ 20:39
Comment from: valentino galaviz [Visitor]
Don't be a hater, hit the club you'l see the forgiveness is fabulous and the good shots are great. Dare you to hit it!
03/20/06 @ 04:04
Comment from: mc [Visitor]
the nike sq is the best driver on tour. the only reason for the R7 425's wide use is that tm R7's have been out longer in general. Nike has had trouble with their drivers. Tm has a reputation for quality drivers. Now that the sq is winning it will only be a matter of time before more players switch to nike. The R7 and R5's have had 3 years of tour development. the nike till 2009 and they too will be great.
05/12/06 @ 11:15