« Phil Mickelson withdraws from ING Par-3 Shootout at TreetopsAcushnet patents high-performance, limited flight golf ball »

I did not know that he only carried the one driver...what was that about? More so than at Augusta, you need two drivers in the Open, US style.
06/19/06 @ 14:24
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
According to Phil, Winged Foot didn't call for a lot of draws from lefties. And he was also worried about running through fairways if he hit big draws. So he just had the fade bias driver, and left the neutral one at home. He's definitely a tinkerer, with his swing and equipment. Don't know if it had anything to do with his poor driving on Sunday, but it seems plausible.
06/19/06 @ 14:48
Comment from: Scott Walker [Visitor]
My argument is that Phil had a fade-biased brainlock. You can explore that Inside The Mind Of Phil Mickelson.

Cheers!
06/19/06 @ 16:00
Comment from: Jim COULTHARD [Visitor]
Phil seems to rival Michelle Wie in his ability to bring out the venom in people who want to rip him to pieces.

I was wondering how Phil could be so lousy with his driver, but so great in other aspects of his game on Sunday. Maybe he should have used something like a 3 wood a lot more--but he was able to get out of trouble all day, and he may have been worried about what he would do if he missed the fairway with a shorter club and had a greater distance to reach the green.

06/19/06 @ 17:32
Comment from: Simon [Visitor]
I thought Phil was missing right more than left. From what I remember he was certainly right on one, two, four and five and six - the first five driving holes. Eight and nine he hit the fairway, the only two times in the round. Eleven he only just missed it left with an iron. His first proper miss to the left was on twelve. He missed fourteen to the right also. After that I dont remeber much though I think he missed sixteen on the right also. So basically he was actually turning over the club, perhaps trying to much to steer the ball instead of sweeping it away. When it came to the last he decided to make damned sure he didnt pull it right again and we all know what happened then...
06/19/06 @ 19:47
>>>"Ron Mon: I did not know that he only carried the one driver...what was that about?"

================

Ron Mon, Ron Mon, Ron Mon! You should join the crowd and listen to the TravelGolf.com This Week podcast! Phil was on the show a few weeks ago talking about his driver plans for Winged Foot. Check it out here.

Here's a link to the latest show, or subscribe via RSS feed by clicking here
06/20/06 @ 04:51
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Simon,

You are right--lots of misses in both directions. You ever try to compensate for one of those biased drivers when your swing was a bit off? Hard to know how much to adjust.

Jim,

I agree. God knows I've missed as many fairways trying to play it safe as I have with my driver. I can screw up a "smart" play just as badly as I can a "stupid" play.
06/20/06 @ 11:20

Dates: June 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Located just 20 minutes from Dublin, Carton House Hotel in Kildare is one of Ireland' best spa hotels. The "One Night Stay and Play" golf package lets you enjoy one night's bed and breakfast with a three-course evening meal and a round of golf per person on Carton House's O'Meara or Montgomerie Courses.