Where do Wie go from here?
All the uproar over the girl from Hawaii has caused me concern, and not just as the father of three lovely daughters. Not since, well, Annika, has the golf world (which ranks right up there with world peace and space exploration in importance) been quite so divided on a tangled web of an issue. Here are five points of light on the Michelle Wie/Annika/Women and Men/Why can’t we all just get along issue, in no particular order:
2) Wie gets sponsors’ invitations: As a pro, it would piss me off. I can’t imagine someone coming in and taking my position, based on future promise, attractive qualities, etc. I would be jealous. As a sponsor, I can’t wait to get her phone call of acceptance, for all the above reasons. Sometimes the world is black and white.
5) Wie is too young to play these events: That’s why we have the words ‘precocious,’ ‘prodigy,’ and ‘apprentice,’ to name a few, in our many languages. Instead of raising the bar, she’s lowering the bar. She doesn’t dabble in golf; golf is IT for her.
3) Wie is a girl/woman. Why does she play men’s tournaments: No one would deny that male professionals would defeat female professionals most of the time on a level playing field. It’s that old strength thing. The inference is that the men’s amateur events and the men’s tour are the true measuring sticks of greatness. You would deny her greatness?
1) Michelle Wie is not in your family: Think about it. What if she were your sister, daughter, or mother. Would you tell her “yo, back off. Step away, don’t try to reach your potential. Just go for something less.” Up your butt, Jobu!
4) Michelle Wie can’t win: Are you high? She can kick your butt, my fanny, and the tushies of 99% of people around. Bobby Jones immortal quote is hereby amended to “there is golf, there is tournament golf, and then there is final-round, you’re the leader, it’s a major, the world is watching golf!” THAT’S the story of the US Open at Cherry Hills.
|« Walker Cup team to the young||Hurdzan Postponed? »|
This post has 4 feedbacks awaiting moderation...