« Official First Masters Blog of 2006 (or is it last of 2005?)Teaching the teacher: Will it work? »

PD.
I do want to add, however, that I carry three wedges and will putt with anything attached to a metal golf shaft. I switch drivers with frequency, although I never purchase the latest and greatest for top dollar.
12/19/05 @ 12:34
Comment from: jon [Visitor]
hey, i have the same irons. MP 32s, one inch longer, 2 degrees upright and with mid size grip. i carry v steel, with regular flex, everything else is stiff but regular flex v steel seems to help one good days ( nothing helps on bad days, grunt)
12/19/05 @ 14:49
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
I'm with you, Ron Mon. Hybrids' big claim to fame is that they supposedly make it easier to "get the ball off the ground." Not in my experience. I've tried several varieties, to no avail. And now they're flat out replacing 3- and 4-irons! Oh, the humanity!
12/19/05 @ 15:36
Comment from: RonMon [Visitor]
Jon, you must be way taller than I. I max out at 5'9" on a mildly-gravitational day.

Jenn, cogently expressed. I get the ball an inch off the blades. That's my best. With that ugly bleat of the goat.
12/19/05 @ 17:38
Comment from: Denver Player [Visitor]
I have to admit that I am very much an equipment "traditionalist", but I love my "pickle on a stick". It was difficult for me to get over the stigma of the "pickle", but I eventually broke down. It didn't replace my 3 iron, it replaced my 5 wood.

Get a little softer shaft, and swing it like an iron.

My problem club is the putter. I have a hate-despise relationship with it, and the other 32 in my staff bag in the basement.
12/22/05 @ 10:20
D to the P,

I will try your suggestion at the local Golf Galaxy. My putter suggestion is, do nothing but chip and putt. Play a few rounds with a 7 iron, pw and putter. Take three or four shots to get to greens, 150 per shot, then chip and putt the heck out of the little stubbly places. Go crosshanded, and commit. Also, try the putting arc. As an unsolicited endorsement, I love the thing. If I ever decide to abandon my family and commit to being a club player, the putting arc will make me boss of the moss.
12/22/05 @ 13:17
Comment from: Denver Player [Visitor]
I will give the putting arc a try.

Already crosshanded. Tried belly, long, with split grip, traditional and crosshanded variant. Tried longer traditional, shorter traditional, blade, mallet, heel-shafted, center shafted, face-balanced, heel-toe balanced. I have the putters to prove it.

Tried looking at the hole, tried the gate stroke, straight back and straight through. Tried more of a torso stroke, arms only, hell, I even tried that funky sidesaddle thing that Natalie Gulbis does.

I have committed myself to an early resolution this year: 1 stroke, 1 putter for 2006. 1 straight week on the moss early in the season, 2 hrs. a day.
12/22/05 @ 15:21
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Man, you got to be crazy. I LOVE hybrids. I don't even THINK about carrying anything lower than a traditional 5-iron, and I'm starting to look at it with suspicion. My 3- and 4-hybrids are the most consistent clubs in my bag, aside from my Adams Redline driver. You can hit the hybrids off rock-hard fairways or in deep rough, and for me anyway, they're much easier to get off the ground fast.
12/23/05 @ 10:49
Farmer Tim,
I never claimed sanity as one of my virtues (or vices, for that matter.) As I wrote, it was a confession, ripped from my bowels by ... all right, that's over the top. Anyway, I can't hit them. I realize that I'm in the minority, but at least I'm out now. I can walk the fairways with my head and my 3-iron held high.
12/23/05 @ 13:40
Comment from: jon [Visitor]
Ron, Maybe you can help me. I think MP 32s are great. To me, they are the softest feeling clubs I have tried in years. It may not get the distance of titleist irons, but it more than makes up by being very easy on the body and swing.

My biggest gripe with MP 32s is that for the life of me I can't feel the club head. Granted that 1 inch longer shaft length made the club head feel relatively lighter, but still I often wished that Mizuno folks made the club head little bit heavier. I am not asking for Ben Hogan heavy (I still have an old Ben Hogan forged stored away.), but is the club head weight a problem for you? Or, am I just weird?
12/24/05 @ 08:46
Jon,
If you see Ponch, say hi. Now, on to your question. In my region, we have a man named Bill Lindner who is a genius with golf clubs. He hits great shots and he makes great clubs. He would make suggestions such as "lead tape on the toe" or "lead tape on the hosel" or "lead tape on the bag strap." I hit them as I find them. I was just at the Golf Dome (how we Buffalonians get through the Winter) today, hitting my back-up set of Mizuno T-Zoids. For whatever reason, I can always feel the clubhead, especially when headed toward the village of shank (just kidding, doesn't happen too often.) I would find a clubmaker or two in your town, and pick their brains on what works best. I also suggest checking out Mizuno's website, and finding the emails of guys or gals in their R & D departments. Send them your query; they will be thrilled to get such an inquiry, and will respond. I emailed Dan Brown (Duke Women's Golf Coach) out of the blue (ha, ha) and got two or three helpful and favorable responses.

Now that's a ramble! Good luck.
12/24/05 @ 10:29
Comment from: jon [Visitor]
Thanks for the speedy reply, Ron Mon.

You are now my favorite golf blog columnist. When it comes to anything that may even remotely help me in my swing, I shall whore almost anything. I have no shame and darned proud of it.

I really should talk to some golf technical people. It is not a major problem for me but golfers are always trying to do just a little better. How marginal lives become. Sigh.
12/25/05 @ 08:15
Geez, this guys is too nice. And to think, I didn't pay him to write what he did. If I had a budget like Baldwin, I could get lots of nice responses in print.
12/25/05 @ 12:02
Comment from: Jen Mario [Visitor]
Ponch and Jon reference! Awesome!
12/29/05 @ 09:41
Comment from: mark quick [Visitor] Email
I hate hybrids, too! Ron, back in Dec 05 you hated hybrids, do you still? I cant find one I like and am leaning to getting a 7 wood instead! Do you think we miss out on any situations on the course where a hybrid would have an advantage over the 7 wood?? thanks! mark
02/19/07 @ 15:54