Thing I Know I Know--Nissan Open, JB Holmes, Loren Roberts
1. The comportment of the fans at Riviera was embarassing. Since when do golf fans root against someone? I know, I know. Monty and Mrs. Doubtfire, Sergio and the Counting Fans at Bethpage. That’s all well and good when it’s the Ryder Cup, but for heaven’s sake, don’t mock, jeer or insult a player trying to win an event. That’s like hockey parents trying to relive their failed careers through their kids, except the fans aren’t even related to the players.
2. Jeff Rude finally wrote the blog I’ve been dying to write. I had it all set, then my computer shut down and the blog wasn’t saved. I will take it one step farther, though, and state that it is a good thing for John Holmes that his initials aren’t reversed. If they were, I guess, the whole issue wouldn’t have come to light. It is, however, comical. Just wish I knew what the “B” stands for … Bartholomew, Bertrand, and Bartleby come to mind.
3. Loren Roberts is on a run, no doubt. He is out-irwining Irwin, even forcing Hale Mary to chunk one in the water on 18 for double bogey. His stretch is not disimilar to the one Rory is enjoying on the regular tour. For both, it will be their performance in majors that determines at what level their years might be placed. We know that Loren lost a US Open in a play-off to Ernie and Colin. Rory has won a team world cup, but majors? I don’t recall any top ten finishes.
4. I love the Match Play. I just wish that I knew enough guys interested in betting the thing like the final four. There’s nothing like those early rounds, living and dieing with your players on every hole, every shot. Trust me, I want Eldrick to win the thing, but a wounded Tiger is not the same as a wounded Bear or a wounded Flea. Perhaps we have never seen him ill like this before, but I just don’t know what to expect. I’ll go with Rory to the quarters, but that’s all for now. I’ll do a full-tourney prediction blog on Tuesday night.
5. Tom Lehman as player-coach? Right now, no. The way he played on the weekend did nothing for me. Now, there’s no kikuyu in Ireland, yet the weather was very Irish. He needs to win two events this year for an up-vote from me.
Put the ball in the hole!
|« World Match Play--Final Words||When the blogger becomes the story: Kiel, Roberta Isleib, and Cassie Burdette »|
And the fans at Riviera were out of line- even if it was Rory Sabbatini.
If Goose, ernie,immelman or clark are leading in the final round of a tournament we will stay up until 2am and watch....rory- forget about it.
By the way, Monty is well-liked here and is certainly no embarassment.
Monty is literally one of the best golfers in the world.
He played golf in the U.S. during his college days, so I guess he can play good golf in the States.
In fact, we have seen good golf from him across the pond - but he usually blows up in the end. I think the spectators piss him off.