« PGA Professional National Championship: Club pros get off easy at Turning Stone ResortUS Open lessons from Winged Foot: Future Favorites and Fizzlers »

Comment from: Mike [Visitor]
Looked to me like Ogilvy's caddie made him hit a layup shot on a hole that he parred on Saturday and was chastised by Jeff for speaking up.

Bones has always seemed like a 'yes man' to me, but I could be wrong.

Phil even asked him about a 9 iron from 175 at one time. C'mon Phil get freakin' real, 9 iron is never the right club from 175. Never.

The old Phil overtook the new 'play for par' Phil and it bit his butt.

As for Monty's misclub, well he had the right one and put it back to avoid hitting the tents behind the green. Bad choice and he now knows it better than me.

Caddies want to keep their job and golfers on the PGA Tour seem to have a code that would rival the Mafia or NY Cops for blackballing a caddie who tells them, " That's a stupid shot, don't even think you can pull that off you idiot ! "
06/18/06 @ 22:28
Comment from: Lesliee [Visitor]
These caddies are not paid just to haul around the bags. If the player isn't thinking clearly, the caddy should speak out. Everyone watching TV was shouting "Phil - hit an iron!!"
06/19/06 @ 13:08
Comment from: Bob Balfe [Visitor]
Excellent points! I have been saying the exact same thing to my circle of friends over the last 12 hours.

Here is another one about a caddy I blogged on my site:

Outside of one annoying observation the day was a fun and amazing event. ... The one bad observation was Charl Swartzel's caddie smoking a cigarette on the sixth hole and he proceeds to throw it on the ground and put it out with his foot and worst of all he leaves the cigarette butt in the picture perfect fairway, ugh.
06/19/06 @ 15:38
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
Monty's decision to change clubs after five minutes with what was probably the "right" club bugs me way more than Phil's decison to hit driver. But if these caddies failed their masters, it was their failure to put enough confidence - not clubs - in their swings.

Phil and his caddy were mic'd up on a hole on the back nine where his caddy said 3-iron and Phil politely told him "I'm the golfer not you: 4-iron". It would have been the exact same convo on the 18th.
06/20/06 @ 02:39
Comment from: Saul [Visitor]
Lefty developed a cockiness that the great ones have learned to leave at home. Until he gets the "smarts", he will always be an "also ran'.
06/20/06 @ 22:01
I would not call him an "also-ran." A stupid, yes, but an also-ran, no.
06/20/06 @ 23:10
Comment from: Greg [Visitor]
Players get precisely the caddies they either earn or deserve. Hogan understood his game perfectly and deluded himself about nothing on or off the golf course...he just needed someone to carry his bag.
Mickelson only understands what he wants..that's why he has more Majors regrets than trophies..despite great talent. And why he's perfectly comfortable with a yes man like "Bones." Phil's bag..Phil's baggage.
In any case..feel like we all came out ahead not having to watch his wife and little girls hold another love fest on the 18th green.
I really thought that little blurb I saw about Phil Mickelson's Personal Training Program was a put on. Tell me he doesn't have a personal trainer. I've seen candidates for drug rehab programs who look like they could run rings around Mickelson.
06/23/06 @ 02:08
Comment from: local news [Visitor]
Good article and i am looking forward to your next installment. This blog facilitates myself in my article research as well as assists me in generating essay or dissertations
12/05/10 @ 15:40