« LPGA versus PGA Tour: Can women be as diverse as men?LPGA Tour Qualifying School...Get REAL, as in Real-Time Scoring »

Ron Monster, I have no problem with Wie playing against the guys - but in measured doses for now. If her subsequent play warrants increasing the number of times, then fine. I don't care how many times she parrots how much she's learning, deep down she knows she's not even close. Same thing with those post round interviews where she says how well she played after shooting 78-81. Please. The girl is not a dummy. What Wie needs is for her parents to step in and be parents - even if it means passing on making a few more million in the short term.
11/30/06 @ 15:26
Comment from: Oui Oui Oui [Visitor] Email
Shanks,

Until your daugther can command 875K for 2 days of work (with two optional days), please refrain from critiquing Wie's parents' decision.
11/30/06 @ 15:40
Comment from: NYC [Visitor] Email
It's all about progression. As Tiger and many others have said a million times, you learn to win at each appropriate level of competition and then you step up in class. When you win there consistently you move up again. It's a simple concept really. What annoys many about Michelle is that she has not shown she can dominate at any level yet she continues to move up and talk a big game while doing it.I am all for dreaming big, but at some point she must be judged on her actual level of play and her results, not her words and her potential. Does anybody truly believe that Michelle can contend on the Asian Tour(Men's), The Nationwide Tour, The European Tour(Men's)or the PGA tour currently, of course not, but she has shown that she can compete rather well against the ladies so that's where she belongs for now at least.

I would love to play against the best possible competition, but I'm not good enough, neither is Michelle.
11/30/06 @ 17:24
Comment from: Jon [Visitor]
I just love repeating the same thing: "Michelle Wie is only 17." What is the rush? What is the big deal? Do people expect and demand that a 17 year old girl win a LPGA tournament and make a PGA tour cut? I still think she has shown a remarkable progress in 2006. She as expected was not in form at the end of the season. So what? She could be more selective in choosing which Men's tournaments to play, but I think her 2007 schedule may reflect that. Who Knows...
11/30/06 @ 17:37
Something has to be very wrong when most of the media coverage of an event concerns someone who is playing badly and coming last or next to last. It is becoming golf as a freak show. NYC, your comment was spot on.
11/30/06 @ 18:20
Comment from: jon [Visitor]
Stop covering it, then. LOL, I am done with this troll site. Have fun fellas. (I personally like watching Wie play, and who are you to tell people that they can't, Oh, bloggers extraordinnaires)
11/30/06 @ 18:40
To the best of my knowledge, Wie has not "talked" a game any larger than what she has shown. She has never been quoted, in any of her near-miss LPGA Majors, as saying "I should have"; "I deserved"; or "If only." What do we want from her, a forlorn lass with tears in her eyes (I guess), or a heart-of-steel future champion? My guess is that Mom and Dad realize that there is no turning back at this point, that they have let the wheel spin beyond their control. I believe that they got some bad advice around the time Wie won the USAPL, to jump on the gravy train while it was there. Earl and Kultida were having none of that, and the champion that Tiger is, is proof of their patience.
11/30/06 @ 20:21
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Well, Ron Mon, then you knowledge is far from the best. I remember when Bubbles was playing in a Nationwide Tour event (yes, she failed there too) and said something to the effect of, " . . .when I beat them." If you want chapter and verse, look it up. But she was talking about beating the guys.
12/01/06 @ 04:20
Comment from: Booger [Visitor] Email
How can any of this matter when Bowditch
shot a 68 at the Q school yesterday?
Let's stay focused on important events.
12/01/06 @ 08:55
Smails, YOU look it up, then bring me the citation. I'll address your insinuation at that time.

Mucus, AMEN, BROTHER! Bowditch is on his way to the President's Cup. And admit it, you've taken a shine to him.
12/01/06 @ 09:06
Comment from: NYC [Visitor] Email
"Only thing I have to practice a little more and make the putts. I'll make it next time. ... I think I improved a lot from yesterday, and I'm pretty happy.

Ron Mon for a guy who looks an awful lot like a ferret you sure are arrogant, no wonder you like Michelle. This is probably what Judge was looking for...I thought I would add a few more Michelle quotes just in case your memory was still hazy. Michelle is arrogant, hypocritical and at this point just plain delusional about her future. I could have gathered these excuse laden quotes all day.

"I don't think I would say I don't belong here; I do belong. I belong on the LPGA; I belong on the PGA (TOUR). I think I belong in both." - following her performance at the 2004 Sony Open

"Ty Tryon made a lot of money after turning pro, but he might not have been ready. I don't want to make a lot of money for a couple of months and then not be ready." - on her willingness to wait to turn pro (from Business Week)

”I think my ultimate goal is to play in the Masters. I think it'd be pretty neat walking down the Masters fairways,” says Wie, who thinks the world is ready for it.

"Not at all," said Wie, winless in 33 career LPGA Tour appearances. "I didn't play like myself today and it doesn't bother me because I know I can play much better than this. I learn a lot from playing with the men."

"I felt like from tee to green I played very well. My short game and putting let me down a couple of times -- every time," Wie said. "It doesn't feel like I played 5-over because I hit the ball really good."

"But I feel a lot more confident and comfortable with my game," she said. "I'm hitting my irons 10 yards longer than I did last week. I think I could have easily shot under par today, but my putts didn't go in and I feel they will go in tomorrow."

"I just had a bad two weeks, that's it. No more, no less," she said, brushing off the suggestion that she might want to reconsider her goal of playing against the men. "I feel like I'm getting better and better even though my scores don't show it. My game is progressing. My shots are actually going to the fairway now. I felt like my game was 100 times better than last week."

"I just feel like I have to work on my putting a little bit," she said. "I'm not saying I'm ever going to be the No. 1 distance driver, but I feel like I can definitely be average or above average. I definitely feel like if I work out more, if I increase my stamina, I feel like I definitely have potential because of my height and the power that I have."

"You're hitting, like, a 5-iron or 4-iron to the hole. You don't have a wedge in your hand like at a women's event," she said. "I think the length will definitely motivate me to work out a lot harder because I definitely see potential in gaining a lot more distance. Obviously, everyone knows my ultimate goal is to play in the Masters, but right now I'm really enjoying competing with the guys."

"I have a lot more to improve but I definitely think I can win out there (on the PGA Tour) one of these years."

"If I ever get bored with golf, I'm going to start over and play lefthanded."

“My favorite player is Tiger Woods. I think I can beat Tiger when I’m 20. It’s a life goal.”

“I might go play the LPGA full-time and then, after I get better, go to the PGA full-time. Or just try to play both. It will be fun.”

By tghe age of thirteen she was already discounting the LPGA tour and planning for her future on the PGA tour. 0 wins, 0 cuts made on any major male tour, with a scoring average hovering around your avergage 6 handicapper
its time to scale back your unrealistic goals.
12/01/06 @ 10:45
"What does she say those who are skeptical of her ability to compete with men in professional golf? “I think the reason they're saying that is because they're truly afraid. I mean, men's egos can be easily brought down, and I don't think they want that to happen,” says Michelle. “I have some experience with my dad, and I think that it’s just the way guys are.”

NYC...Here is the only quote where she goes directly after men, and only re: our egos. Never does she say her abilities are better than those of the men. YOU FAIL TO PROVE YOUR POINT.
12/01/06 @ 11:43
Comment from: Baby Blue Eyes [Visitor] Email
NYC,

To have a comprehensive compilation of Wie's quotes, you must be a secret admirere of Wie.
12/01/06 @ 14:30
Comment from: NYC [Visitor] Email

Are you sure you don't want to rethink that??

Baby Blues--It's not that hard to find juicy Wie quotes, just google "Michelle Wie fails to make the cut at..." and just insert any tournament you want. I am not a fan or even really a basher. I just don't like when "journalists" such as Ron Mon practice selective memory. Michelle's fans are even worse...I have seen where some are actually attempting to cast Michelle as an underdog and someone whose performance has matched her hype. Maybe next week I will post some of the quotes that those in the golf world have attributed to Michelle. Let me put it this way the general consensous was that it was a given that she would be able to make it on the PGA tour(not make cuts, but actually be able to win). The LPGA tour well that was a mere stepping stone, hardly worthy of her time. I am simply pointing out for the few who dared to question her future domination how right we were. In other words, a big "I told you so!" to all the suck ups, feminists, and PC wimps that annointed Michelle Wie to demi-god status before she had ever accomplished anything of note.

The sports world is littered with the remains of child prodigies, can't miss superstars and kids who peaked too early. Will Michelle wind up alongside them on the side of the road--who knows, but I think it is safe to say that she won't be revolutionizing the game any time soon.

12/01/06 @ 15:00
I am considering a lawsuit against NYC for accusing me of being a journalist. That type of calumny simply cannot be tolerated in our society.
12/01/06 @ 15:16
Comment from: Booger [Visitor] Email
I'll serve as a witness - you sure aren't
a journalist. NYC is right about Wie, though.
Those quotes are hysterical, coming from
anyone. No excuses for her being a kid;
she's a "professional" after all.
12/01/06 @ 17:38
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
NYC,

Excellent quotations. Yes, we naysayers were right about Bubbles, but these Wiemen stand by their guns as tenaciously as the Japanese did during WWII. And for Ron Mon to be unaware of her braggadocio is unbelievable, given that he's a golf blogger.

Hey, Ronnie, with the limited knowledge base you seem to possess and your ability to view matters through the a prism, you may yet have a career ahead of you in the mainstream media.

NYC,

I was raised in NYC myself.
12/01/06 @ 17:47
Exhibit A: I think I belong in both.

Exhibit B: I don't want to make a lot of money for a couple of months and then not be ready.

Exhibit C: I think the length will definitely motivate me to work out a lot harder because I definitely see potential in gaining a lot more distance.

Exhibit D: Or just try to play both. It will be fun.

Oedipus, Antigone, Lear, MacBeth, Cleopatra, Wie...All done in by hubris. These four transparent quotes from Wie, thanks to NYC, show that Wie is within the throes of hubris, and will meet an untimely, tragic end. ARE YOU GUYS INSANE?!?!?! The differences between you and she are that A) she MUST talk about her daily performance, whereas you chumps hide away in your cubicles, covering up your daily failings; B) she gives evidence that she is truly interested in improvement (granted, she hasn't shown much of it lately)...when was the last time you payasos took a continuing education course, attended a professional workshop, or signed up for a golf lesson? Keep it coming, boys, I'm more than a match for any and all of you!
12/01/06 @ 19:26
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Yes, Ronnie, you're a match alright. Maybe we'll strike you and watch you combust.
12/01/06 @ 20:38
Comment from: NYC [Visitor] Email
Shame on you Ron Mon. I thought you were above personal attacks. Was it the Ferret comment or the simple fact that I provided facts to support my argument whereas you relied on your failing, selective memory. No matter, its been a long time since I have been in a cubicle and I always own up to my "failings". As far as improvement goes--I strive to be a better husband, father, professional and human being everyday. You may be more than a match for me when it comes to typing on a computer, but in the grand scheme of things I'm more windshield to your bug.

I wish Michelle all the best in her future endeavors, but I won't gloss over the facts regarding her rise or fall.
12/01/06 @ 20:40
All right...enough of this...on to the next blog...here's to continued sparring and movement toward enlightenment.
12/01/06 @ 21:27