« Practice rounds at Carnoustie have nothing on this dry run!The Michigan Road Day Six: End of the Road at Treetops »

What if he went over and discovered that he's really good at the links game? Nah, Autin should stay at home in his safe little coccoon. There's no sense in taking any chances in life. What could be gained, other than perhaps a little immortality?
07/17/07 @ 11:14
Would this be angel's advocate/god's advocate to my devil's advocate? Interesting...

This is the mentality I am trying to refine. What immortality? Boo Weekley didn't know who Paul Lawrie was!! Do you think that Woody Austin would be remembered any more than Ben Curtis or Todd Hamilton? If you ask people who the five US players in a row to win the British are, they will say Tiger, Tiger, Tiger and, uhhh, Tiger/Tiger? Woody, even with a win, would be immortal only to decrepit historians.
07/17/07 @ 14:59
Ron Monster, I love ya but, damn, you've got to get over this US mentality of yours. First of all, Boo Weekley probably doesn't even know who his father is, much less anything about golf history. (Harsh, yeah I know, but seriously, don't hold up Boo as someone knowledgable. He's probably never heard of the Great Triumvirate either. But I can guarantee you this much, every golf fan in the rest of the world outside of the US knows who Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton is.

We're talking about a chance to play in AND WIN the oldest and most popular tournament in the entire world. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to do that?
07/17/07 @ 15:17
I don't agree with your assessment of "every golf fan in the rest of the world," but since we have no way of proving either side, we'll move on. You and I would do it, as it would be a novelty to us. Austin is a veteran professional, and simply sees nothing in this tournament besides copious travel, sketchy lodging, and bad food. If I have a US mentality, Shanks, you certainly have a neo-global one. For what it's worth, Boo Weekley's dad is Boo Monthley, and they get along just fine.
07/17/07 @ 15:32
Austin's reaction is akin to a child refusing to eat something because it may not taste good.

Hate to break the news to ya, but to every country outside the US, the (British) Open Championship is the biggest in golf. And that is why all those fans know of Curtis & Hamilton. However, they likely don't know who Austin is.
07/18/07 @ 10:56
"is akin to a child refusing to eat something because it may not taste good."

Children also refuse to see both sides of an issue, ehh, Shanks? How many kids you got?

Let me interrupt by saying I love Shanks, and relish the opportunity to go back and forth over an idea we are both passionate about.

Back to my rant: I cannot speak for the multitudes, and I don't know anyone other than a deity who can. As such, Shanks, we need to elevate you to deity status.
07/18/07 @ 12:19
God is a bit much of a handle for me, Ron Monster. I'll settle for Mr. Clean & Natural!

At least Boo had the sense to give it a go. Now he's in the hunt for arguably the greatest title in all of golf. I imagine ole Boo is having a pint or two in the hotel pub tonight! I would pay good money to hear his impressions of links golf, Carnoustie and Scotland in general. Priceless.
07/19/07 @ 15:03
Comment from: wendy kouvardine [Visitor]
Well, I was looking for comments on Woody Austin's decision - and all I get is you two bickering!! Of course we (Brits) know who Ben Curtis and Tod Hamilton are - AND they deserved their victories. I also happen to know who Woody Austin is and perhaps, just perhaps, he might have played a blinder too - pity we'll never know. I was intrigued that the Aussie commentator (he knows who he is) refused to give Woody's name when speaking of the refusal to play (presumably on the basis that he knew who he was). I'll let you off with your comments re accommodation and food - mainly because the UK newspapers were equally scathing about those facilities in the town. I quite liked Boo - until he opened his mouth. David Duval gave the most gracious winner's speech ever. I think Jim Furyk would give a good speech too. It WAS the best Open I have watched in years.
07/29/07 @ 11:41
We DO love to bicker. However, Wendy, you cannot speak for all brits, just as what's-his-name cannot speak for all rest-of-world people. If you were to ask people over here the name of the steroid suspect chasing down the home run record, or the PETA reject up on dog fighting charges, not every American would go two-for-two.
07/29/07 @ 11:50
Comment from: wendy kouvardine [Visitor]
Fortunately I don't understand a word
you're saying. OK, you know full well I
meant brit. golf fans. Oh, hang on...
husband just confirmed he has only
vaguely heard of Ben Curtis and Tod
Hamilton - but have figured that one out
- he's French (or usual contrary self)
and probably hasn't watched a whole Open
since JVDV (and I beat him at golf
yesterday - no, not JVDV).
07/31/07 @ 10:29
Barry Bonds is chasing down the all-time home run record in american Major League baseball, but has been linked again and again to steroid use and abuse. Michael Vick is the Atlanta Falcons' starting quarteback in american football, and has been linked to a dogfighting operation. Even though these guys are all over the papers and the web, not everyone pays attention. Shanks seems to feel that everyone, everywhere, holds The Open Championship is such regard that names of victors are memorized, used to name children, etc. I argue the other side of the point.
07/31/07 @ 10:46
Just read the last of these comments now. to clarify, ron Monster, I was speaking of golf fans throughout the rest of the world, not darling Wendy's French husband.

Sounds like hindsight now, but as good as Austin is striking the ball, he almost certainly would have done well at Carnoustie. But now we'll never know.

And I was right about Boo, he doesn't even know about current events like qualifying for Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup, much less history of the game. I am amused by ole Boo but I found that to be quite stunning.
08/13/07 @ 13:12