« Improvement in Golf? Check out the Girls National JuniorThe Nonsensical Punter: 2007 British Open Champion Prediction »

Comment from: Mike [Visitor] Email
The point that was made of Barry Bonds about a year ago was: So he is taking steroids. He still has to see the ball to hit it. True o course, but the true meaning behind the drug is that it gives you endurance, not talent.
07/22/07 @ 22:43
Comment from: Mike [Visitor] Email
To please continue on my previous post ,is that Player maybe is right. He sees something that is there that isn't right, but he is going to be condemed for it. I give him credit for speaking out on an issue that is the topic of sports today. It's like, if you can get away with it than do it, and sports figures are doing it. Why do we think golfers are any different from baseball players if it can hance there game in some form.
07/22/07 @ 22:50
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Ron Mon,

I agree that most golfers don't fit the profile of the kind of individual who would use steroids; however, as they say, there's one in every bunch. By the way, it's for this reason (the fact that I don't think most golfers will ever cotton to steroid use) that I don't think drug testing is necessary in golf. My point is, though, logic dictates that SOME golfers must have used them at some point.

I also have to mention that everyone is overlooking an obvious point here. To whit: just because your primary motivation to work out is the improvement of your performance does not mean that vanity isn't a powerful secondary motivation. I used to work out arduously when I was a professional athlete, and I'd be lying if I said that an improved appearance wasn't a strong motivating factor. And, listen, if you don't think Tiger Woods derives ego satisfaction from having a great physique, you don't understand human nature.

My point is that a player can be motivated to use steroids for reasons other than his golf ambitions, even though he may not always be consciously aware of the degree to which the more frivolous desires are influencing him. And, once again, such people would be rare in golf, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
07/23/07 @ 12:41
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor] Email
JS, how are you going to chew that load of tripe when the first pro golfer tests positive or even more difficult to believe, when that pro golfer turns out to be female?
Where will your theory be then?
07/23/07 @ 12:55
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Of what theory do you speak, putt4par? I agreed that some golfers have used them. As far as the women's tour goes, since Player was referring to the men, I wasn't thinking about the ladies. However, it would probably make even more of a difference in their games.

07/23/07 @ 15:48
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email
When making one statement:

"Don't even get into the calming effects of cigarettes on the tours! Many golfers swear by them, even as their lungs turn into a gooey mess of ineffective alveoli."

Try to avoid immediately negating it with your next:

"You cannot opt to ingest something that will harm you when you are in your right mind, unless you are beyond desperation."

And that was more or less the most astute part of the post.

--WKW
07/23/07 @ 16:06
Wolfrum...two words...your mom!

You're improperly assuming that nicotine-addicted and addled golfers are in their right minds.
07/23/07 @ 18:55

Dates: January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
With the Explore Hyatt Golf package, you'll enjoy luxurious accommodations at Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort and two rounds of golf at Raptor Bay Golf Club per night, a golf cart, pre-round range balls, and one sleeve of logoed golf balls. Guaranteed late checkout at 1 p.m.