« PGA Tour Speeds Up Play and other deliberationsHere come Mighty Morgan! Lorena best get out of the Sybase train's way!! »

Comment from: Tom [Visitor]
They ought to call you summertime...no class...except of course for your failing English students.

You must be the pride of your school system.
05/25/08 @ 23:07
Comment from: Tom [Visitor]
By the way..."hail" is spelled H-A-I-L.

What an idiot you are..you can't even diss someone right...
05/25/08 @ 23:09
Comment from: danny noonan [Visitor]
that's too funny. Hoist with his own petard:)
05/26/08 @ 09:33
Excepting, of course, if either of you two cap-wearing dunces has the perseverance to delve deeper into the alternative meanings of "hale." You'll find a cornucopia of interpretations to sate your "petards."
05/26/08 @ 10:52
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
Hale (verb)

1. to compel (someone) to go: to hale a man into court.
2. to haul; pull.

I have a hard time figuring out how this spelling of the word should be used in the title...then again, when you consider the daily works of Ron Mon, I guess this makes perfect sense.
05/26/08 @ 14:09
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
Welcome to the 'band-wagon' BTuck. Seems the MonSter can't get any respect....even from his "peers". And I don't mean to denigrate YOU by comparison, Brandon! ;)

Mon, this was a fun post, really. Unlike you and Kiel, and bearded exile Wolfie - I am able to laugh at the ridiculous as well as the sublime.

PS...everyone IS right - the word you should have used was 'hail' given the context where it was used (the word is either an adjective or transitive verb). Not to be mean or anything, but I truly DO feel sorry for the kids who have you as an "English" teacher.
05/27/08 @ 13:12
I'm not going to explain what I intended, since no one will get it. However, in the words of the bard, I'm rubber, you're glue; what bounces off me, sticks to you. And, for the record, my subject area is not English. Don't know who came up with that one.
05/27/08 @ 13:14
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
Oh now....don't be a spoilsport Monnie.....go ahead and share what your intent was, please!! I know *I* will be awestruck at your 'contemporary' grasp of our timeless language! ;)
05/27/08 @ 13:35
Comment from: Tom [Visitor]
"I'm not going to explain what I intended, since no one will get it."

Ron, I'm not going to be mean, I'm not going to try to embarrass you, I'm not going to try to one up you. Take this as a gentle constructive criticism...your quote above is exactly why we criticize you. You don't help people understand about what is happening in golf when you talk in cryptic inside jokes.

Why can't you just a) be normal. Good writers do not adopt a breezy manner. You're not walt whitman and you're not dan jenkins. Your "voice" needs to change to be more accessible. Nobody likes a know it all or someone who chirps.

b) until you write well consistently, you shouldn't use slang or unfamiliar word usages...that leads to sloppiness. You need better grammar, syntax, and style. As they said in "Bull Durham" get the basics done and right first and build a good base...then, once you've established credibility, then you can try to do some more interesting things. but when you do it with no track record, people will reject what your writing as nonsense. Like Crash said, when your established, then you can have personality and they'll think you're just eccentric. Until then, you're just sloppy.

Brandon, BV, are I wrong?

Next: "However, in the words of the bard, I'm rubber, you're glue; what bounces off me, sticks to you."

What do you think legit readers who see this will think? Or new readers? Or "unique visitors." They'll think that you are puerile, obnoxious and not worth the time to read. When that happens, you hurt everyone on your page. You hurt Kiel, Jennifer, Chris, Brandon and the rest by association. They think "If this guy's an idiot, maybe they all are." Pull your weight or you'll drag everybody down.

Ron, you are the source of a lot of your problems. The minute you're satisfied with yourself, you never get any better. So if you think that your good right now, you won't improve.

It's our call Ron. You can take a mulligan and start to learn a as writer or you can keep on writing yourself into oblivion and find yourself in a position where your bosses will think getting rid of you might be addition by subtraction.
05/27/08 @ 16:12