« USGA Women's Amateur, Duramed Futures, Nationwide UpdatesGet Pissed, Michelle! »

Ron Monster, I disgree on all of your assessments about these guys needing to perform in the PGA to make the team. Obviously it would be a great help, but Azinger is not making his Captains picks until 3 weeks from now. There are the 2 FedEx Cup events after this week that will be huge in deciding the last four memebers of the team.
08/11/08 @ 07:40
I found out after posting the blog that Azinger was waiting. That's quite prescient on his part, as most make or break decisions, based solely on the PGA, in the past have not been good ones. However, since Curtis displaced Stricker, we now have to go with Stricker as a captain's pick, so that gives us nine. Based on Prez Cup 2007, you also pick Woody Austin at number ten. Now it gets tough...do you skip Trahan, Mahan and O'Hair to get to Rocco? In the past you'd make that decision. Now, those four have a chance to step up and see. I wonder how many who might not have planned to play next week, did a quick sign-up on Friday for the Wyndham? NC, NJ and MA will be quite exciting for those guys (plus Snedeker) and for those of us who care!

I'll retract the "all or nothing" tone if you'll let me, based on Zinger's admission of the 9-2-08 date, but you do have to admit that major championship pressure had its way with JB Holmes (81 on Sunday) and Rocco (85 on Sunday). I still cannot put Rocco on the team for one week at Torrey. I think we look past him to the four younger guys currently at 11, 12, 13 and 15. Two of them will step up and make Zing's job simple.
08/11/08 @ 08:53
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
Azinger added 3 interesting comments:

- "No sentiment/favouritism", (Rocco, Stricker?)

- "Anyone who played badly at the PGA and lost confidence - Welcome to the club - you're not out of it yet" (Woody, Holmes, etc?)

- "Experience is important, but not key - after all that experience has been to lose the last Ryder Cups" , (rookies are favoured?)

Everything still to play for as regards the picks as far as I see it.
08/11/08 @ 12:17
I agree that everything is still to play for. However, I do believe that people who have garnered points to date have the upper hand. Mahan would be an RC rookie, but not a PC rookie. Same situation with Stricker and Woody, I believe. If anyone thinks that Holmes' and Rocco's collapses didn't anchor in Zing's mind, think again.
08/11/08 @ 12:52
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
You may be right about Holmes & Rocco - you know the US thinking better than I do. Ben Curtis has played pretty well this year in the big ones, (and I always retain respect for our Open Champions) but somehow I don't believe Azinger when he said he had "had his eye on Ben Curtis for some time" Mmmmm - before his performance at PGA?
08/15/08 @ 12:47
I agree with that...a typical balderdash line from a captain. However, if Zing is the cloet haberdasher (and he was a Payne Stewart confidant), perhaps he meant an eye on Curtis' NFL clothing contract. Who knows these things?
08/15/08 @ 13:11
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
Ha! That reference would have gone right over my head a while ago, but I've read all about Curtis' clothing contract. Still know SF(anny)A about NFL, however.
08/15/08 @ 15:07