« Gordon Brand versus Gordon BrandI Have Lost A Bit Of Respect For Brady Riggs »

Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
Ron Mon - have you forgotten that McGinley walked out as Ryder Cup assistant to Faldo? (And didn't it have something to do with Faldo not picking Irishmen to play in Ireland at the Seve Trophy?). No love lost there. I'll second your pick for Darren, tho' which I wouldn't have done before KLM win.
08/24/08 @ 14:15
I remember that he walked out, but something's going on or he wouldn't be grinding. I believe it was orchestrated and that Faldo could do much worse than pick McGinley. Casey is going to rise in the World Points list after this week, but not high enough to make the team. In the end, I think it will come down to Casey, Clarke and Rose and hopefully one of the three will make it on points, with the other two being elected.
08/24/08 @ 15:31
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
You're obviously on a different page - possibly reading a different book altogether? McGinley will grind through pride, and of course Faldo could do much worse than pick him - who is 99th on the list? I didn't have you down as a conspiracy
theorist, however. "Orchestrated" for heaven's sake! Amused to see your MW blog continuing so "fruitfully", however.
08/24/08 @ 17:07
Ahh, you know, I just didn't want to admit that you were correct. You are correct on McGinley...he's a veteran, but not of the Monty ilk. If Monty were to have finished 2nd, he'd have been a lock. I think that Monty is dangerously close to being a Curtis-Strange-picking-Lanny-Wadkins character from the 1995 Ryder Cup at Oak Hill and Nick Faldo does not want an ass-biting, especially since he hates Monty. Let's just say that Clarke, Westwood and Sergio provide enough veteran leadership to render McGinley unnecessary. Paul and Darren were 26 and 25 on the Euro list before KLM, so we'll see how high they rise now.
08/24/08 @ 17:34
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
The betting among my golfing friends is that Paul & Darren will indeed get the picks, leaving the rookies to fight it out for the four remaining places. Even if Monty were to win at Gleneagles, with such an experienced top 8 (and 4 "earners") Faldo would be well able to withstand any pressure to include him (and could justify it on paper).

What sweet revenge for Faldo that scenario would be.
08/25/08 @ 14:52
I think that, on the eve of the event, he should extend an invitation to Colin to be an assistant captain, in case Monty never gets to be the real thing.
08/25/08 @ 15:07