« Deputy Editor at noted golfing magazine shows why he edits, doesn't writeTwo Wedges Worth A Waggle: Feel and Miura »

Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Since you criticized the man's comma usage, Ron Mon, I'll point out your punctuation errors. Semi-colons go OUTSIDE quotation marks, not inside. Moreover, you should have used double quotation marks. Single ones are for quotations within quotations.
09/14/08 @ 10:59
I am so glad that someone was paying attention. However, the fact that I used the single quotation mark renders the semi-colon outside placement immaterial (see anus v. colon and the state of diarrhea, 1869.) I can only imagine how many readings you gave the entry, hoping to find an error. Beyond the dots, what about the text itself? Thoughts?
09/14/08 @ 11:21
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
I'll agree with you, RM: Those last 3 hole on the Irish are not very Irish at all. I loved the first 15 holes, though, at least, if memory serves. I was the first TG or WG writer to have visited Kohler 7 or so years ago, so I may be a bit fuzzy on details, though. I also liked Meadow Valleys more that Black Wolf Run, actually. (Maybe simply because I played better at the former.)
09/14/08 @ 12:02
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Ron Mon,

That's funny. You mention the writer in question's misplaced comma, and then you complain that I'm punctilious.

Oh, and, Ron, I noticed the mistakes right away. I'm a professional writer. You should thank me for such feedback, as today you became better at your avocational craft.

As for the piece, it sounds like the closing holes in question are certainly lacking. But I don't know the course.
09/14/08 @ 17:57
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
So because he has a difference of opinion, you think he should be fired?

I've met Travelin' Joe. He's a good stick and seems to have a clue with what he's talking about - more than I can say about Ron Mon...
09/14/08 @ 21:57
About Meadow Valley: there is nothing wrong with a gentle start to a golf course. Seems like that's how it should be. Besides, every piece of property can't have 18 jaw-dropping, signature holes on it. Pebble beach is a great example of that. MV is a wonderful course but also the least expensive of the four, perhaps due to it's pedestrian beginning. One thing everyone should note is that it has the identical impeccable conditioning of the other three tracks, including some of the best greens you could ever play in your life.
09/15/08 @ 07:56
Excellent points, Shanks. There is no "resort" course at Kohler, no easy track for chops. If you go, prepare to be kicked in the teeth if your swing is off. As for the conditioning, amen.
09/15/08 @ 10:19
Comment from: Ted Cahill [Visitor] Email
I agree that the end of the Irish is not as impressive as the previous holes. I feel saying that is working hard to find fault. I enjoy the Kohler courses as much as any I've played (except for maybe Pasatiempo) Hailing from the midwest, I am proud that such a great level of golf exists in Wisconsin. If you haven't played they're yet, you need to go!
09/15/08 @ 13:37
I can't believe that the end was the only way to route those final three holes. It disrupted the flow into the clubhouse and left me a bit adrift. In contrast, the Meadow Valley course peaks after a slow beginning and remains there through number 18.
09/15/08 @ 13:56
The US Women's Open was contested on a hybrid of the Meadow Valley and Blackwolf Run courses. Don't recall exactly which holes from which course were used though.
09/15/08 @ 14:21
The best part of that was, they used a hole that doesn't exist normally. If you stand on ten green of Meadows Valley and look to your left, you look down a huge hill toward #1 tee at River course. They teed off from River # 1 at #10 MV and the hole was a huge success. It's the ultimate 37th hole.
09/15/08 @ 14:40
Nice little nugget there, Ron Monster!
09/16/08 @ 11:02
I know. The starter at River told us about it, so that when we played MV that PM, we would take a look. Even in a cart, I almost died on those two courses. They wore me down.
09/16/08 @ 11:06
My group of 8 played all four courses with Meadow Valley coming last. It played toughest of all, but only because that day the wind was howling at about 2-3 clubs most of the time.
09/17/08 @ 07:31
You must have seen that huge American flag in Sheboygan flying like crazy that day, right?
09/17/08 @ 19:52
Went into Sheboygan one night and hit the wing joint (name?). Vaguely recall the big flag. As I was the DD, I was busy watching traffic while my drunken buddies did all the sightseeing.
10/01/08 @ 16:03
Comment from: Amanda S. [Visitor]
You do realize peoples have known about this on most time straightaway , Don't you? .
01/08/11 @ 09:51

This post has 1 feedback awaiting moderation...