« Jim Furyk could make it the "Big 6" Tiger loosens up and gets Funky »

Comment from: Denver Player [Visitor]
As long as the knee holds up, Ernie has a good chance for the career Slam.
I think that should be his goal. I think the Masters will be the most difficult for him to win, partially b/c I think Tiger relishes this tournament more than any other.

I don't think Ernie, or anyone else, can go toe to toe with Tiger over the long haul. The only things that threatens Tiger is age, injury, or loss of desire. Oh, and a balky driver. But I am sure he will be working hard on that this winter.

I think the game for everyone else is to be ready each and every major in the event that Tiger has an off week.
12/01/05 @ 09:50
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
I don't really agree that nobody can go toe to toe with Tiger.

This year, Dimarco wasn't great under pressure at the Masters. At the British Open, Monty was never really going to threaten Tiger.

However at the US Open, Campbell stood up to be counted and took care of Tiger. I think there are more signs of people being able to stand up to Tiger.

A couple of weeks ago, David Howell held him off easily and with great mental strength.

In my opinion, next year will be a year when people won't flinch, as easily just because Tiger is near the lead.

WATCH OUT FOR EUROPE.
Harrington, Clarke, Howell, Donald, McGinley, Casey, Garcia.
One of these guys is going to do something.

I predict 2 majors for Europe and South Africa combined next year.

Just to comment on Els, he is CLASS, and the TRUE INTERNATIONAL PLAYER.
12/01/05 @ 12:49
Comment from: matt [Visitor]
Wow Norman that's really going out on a limb to predict that one of the 7 best golfers in all of Europe will, "do something" this year. Two majors for Europe and two majors for Tiger perhaps. I think he would take that. You will always be able to site individual/random instances in which players have stood up to Tiger and even beaten him, but in the majority of situations I will take Tiger over anybody, especially the clowns you mentioned earlier, Casey, Garcia, etc...My nephew at 3 could out putt Sergio. One thing I will agree with you on is Ernie Els. I had the privelage and honor to play a round of golf at Westchester Country Club with him a number of years ago and he was every inch the gentleman. Big guy too, about the size of some of my former football teamates.
12/01/05 @ 16:02
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Matt, it is going out on a limb, when you consider that Europe has not won a major since 1999. That is basically 7 blank major years.
I just think next year is the year.

I agree that Sergio can't putt, but if he learns, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

I predict, just ONE major for Tiger next year.
One for Padraig Harrington, one for Ernie Els, and one for some other American than Tiger.

I also think Howell will challenge for a major and is a future major winner.
12/01/05 @ 16:15
Comment from: matt [Visitor]
Good point Norman. I would love to see Ernie come back strong and get one this year as for David Howell he did look awfully impressive at the HSBC, but I'm not quite ready to give him a major just yet---In the future you may be right.
12/01/05 @ 16:48
Comment from: Denver Player [Visitor]
Norman,

When Tiger is at his best, I don't think anyone can beat him. He is as complete a package (mental and physical) as anyone in the history of the game. I don't think Tiger has been at his best in some time, but I think he is beginning to regain his form. It will be interesting to see how he comes out of the gate next year.

Again, over the long haul, I think as long as he doesn't suffer injury or indifference, he will dominate for the next 7-10 yrs. The best chance that all others have is to sharpen their game to a point where they can walk through the door when Tiger opens it.

Tiger surely can't win them all, but I see him winning more than Els, or anyone else, for that matter.

I hope I am wrong, b/c from what I see and hear about Els, he seems to be a great man.

12/01/05 @ 18:25
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Denver Player, I agree that Tiger is the best.
However I think (and HOPE), that some of the air of invinsibility around him is wearing off.

The two weeks where Howell, and Bryant, didn't crumble gave me alot of hope. So many other players would have opened the door for Tiger in those cases.

I don't think the others necessarily need Tiger to have an off week. I think provided someone is playing their best golf and doesn't stutter in the face of Tiger, then they will have a decent chance. Tiger is the best under pressure, but he has showed some signs of faltering this year. Like at the Masters where he let DiMarco back in.
Of course DiMarco, gave it handed it right back to Tiger, but I don't think DiMarco is a big time player.
12/02/05 @ 11:16
Comment from: Jim COULTHARD [Visitor]
The Big Easy helps to inspire the Big Wiesy, and I think it can work the other way around too. I'm sure they will both work hard to do there best at theSony next month.
12/02/05 @ 20:22