« Michelle Wie monitored today like she's in Intensive CareLPGA Stars Watching Annika Sorenstam for Chinks in the Armor »

Comment from: putt4par [Visitor]
One would think that rather than let the bloggers walk through the gates with a ticket to report willy-nilly their impressions and possibly wrong information, that the LPGA would issue credentials in and effort to contain any negative posting by those bloggers etc.
As it is, by denieing them now, there will be many more bloggers that are going to show up at the LPGA with an attitude about how they now view the LPGA.
People are prone to talking about their impressions of a venue whether good or bad, usually colored by their experiences while there but also by how they have been treated in the past by the organizers of an event.

At this point in time, there is very little good coverage by the big Networks or even by any small networks or local braodcasters. Any exposure that could be generated by such a large network as the internet, most of it being totally free, should be welcomed.
I can't see where there would be anymore bad publicity by bloggers if the reporters from serious syndications are credentialed than there is from the normal outlets such as Newsprint, tv and radio.
There will always be bad reviews for any event. Hopefully if they give legitimate blog reporters credence, then there will be good coverage from them for the LPGA.

But that is their choice.
05/18/06 @ 15:10
Comment from: Johnny N. [Visitor]
lpga = stupid for not taking advantage of the wonderful talent of Wie.
lpga = stupid for not giving blog coverage in that case.

Nothing really easy to be argued about either point. I think Shanks has won the argument on both counts.
05/18/06 @ 19:02
Comment from: Jon [Visitor]
LOL. At a time when the LPGA can use all the positive publicity it can garner, it goes out of its way to "piss off" (lol) two members of this site who have espoused the LPGA's untenable position on Wie and her path without losing credibility. My salute to Shanks (subtle implications) and Stacy (by assocaition, i,e, Pressel with Wie). Maybe the tide is turning. Wie seems increasingly capable of competing with men. USGA is criticizing the LPGA for not putting Wie on the LPGA money list. The press is starting to question the LPGA's exemption rule. Wie blithely goes about making golf history. ... There is an article in Golfweek about the third Duke Lacrosse player indicted of rape/sodomy. He happens to be the son of the LPGA chairwoman, Rae Evans. I think LPGA top management may be a bit preoccupied these days. ....That girl must have gotten rocked really badly. LOL Sorry, I know it is in poor taste, but I couldn't resist. Anyway, I am getting tired of the LPGA. I think I will follow the LPGA till the end of the summer, then just follow Wie more casually. Have fun.
05/18/06 @ 20:21
Comment from: Johnny N. [Visitor]
The lpga should definetely include non members in their money list.

Why don't they?
05/18/06 @ 21:54
Comment from: mike [Visitor]
I have a myspace account too. I'm a blogger. That makes me a respected journalist. I even have a degree from a liberal arts college. I deserve a press pass. Wah Wah Wah. Bad LPGA for not recognizing my contribution to society, to golf, to women, and to the fact that giving me a pass would make more people like the LPGA. Now I'm going to bash them on my site. That will show them.
05/19/06 @ 10:13
Comment from: toto [Visitor]
Johnny N: then it wouldn't be "their" money list, would it? I mean why not include Tiger and Phil's winnings (yeah, not on the lpga - but neither is MW - my point exactly).
05/19/06 @ 13:31
Comment from: toto [Visitor]
Mike:

yeah, me thinks there does appear to be a little whining in this story - kinda reminds me of Golf World not reporting on a LPGA event because it (LPGA) was "fighting" with the all-powerful AP - talk about objective reporting!
05/19/06 @ 13:34
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
Sorry Toto, I stand behind the media for boycotting the LPGA. It all comes down to a matter of control over what we as the public see or hear from a sporting event.

The LPGA only wanted the most flattering photos or commentary shown/reported about their events. They also wanted to "own" the photos from an event and control distribution/publication for profit.

Blog sites should stand up and take notice of how effective a media boycott and bad press can be when the LPGA is confronted.

05/19/06 @ 14:29
Comment from: toto [Visitor]
One-putt: I respect your opinion (boycott) and even understand where you're coming from - my point has to do with the perception, controlled by the media, that they are perfect, that their view is the only view and if you don't like, they won't report on you because they, like Bell used to be years ago, are the only game in town and don't you ever forget it. What happened to UPI? I'm sorry, I have been personally involved with some of these high priests and it has left me with a sour taste. I KNOW what they're supposed to be like, but... By the way, what is the governing body of U.S. journalists? Yeah, right, what I thought.

Well, back to golf, I don't know the whole story on the AP/LPGA thing and I suspect I never will, but, as in the case of the SI reporter and DQ, I think one rule of thumb for the media is NOT to be the story. What U think, huh?
05/19/06 @ 17:30
Comment from: Jim COULTHARD [Visitor]
The LPGA obviously can do what they want with their money list--but there is no reason why the USGA should be taking the LPGA money list into account in determining who qualifies for an Open under their jurisdiction. Hopefully the USGA will realize that the LPGA is not comparable to the PGA or America. When was the last time two amateurs tied for second at the US Open as opposed to the US Women's Open? Only true Opens like the US Women's Open and the Weetabix British Women's Open should be considered. Any results from strictly LPGA events should be ignored by the USGA as a basis for qualifying for future US Women's Open. It is not as if all the members of the LPGA put together have as much appeal to the public as the one non-LPGA member that the LPGA seems llike they would like to be forced to go through qualifying.
05/19/06 @ 19:25
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
First Toto you must understand that most information from the MSM (Main Stream Media) is pandering to their left wing liberal base. The MSM has seen a drastic drop in circulation and viewership over the past twenty or so years and in the last ten years internet media is charging to the front.

What was a better story for Hamburger to write? Michelle Wie is DQd or Michelle Wie adds two strokes and finishes in sixth place?

It ain't no contest as far as circulation potential for SI.

The Mea Culpa Hamburger layed on the public (after the story broke) is so transparent it makes a Golfer gag.

Hamburger will not be on the Wie's Christmas card list anytime soon.

05/19/06 @ 19:26
Comment from: Jim COULTHARD [Visitor]
On the other hand, Michelle Wie will probably not get an invitation to the wedding of Morgan Pressel and Michael Campbell, assuming the two find they have enough in common that they wish to tie the knot.
05/19/06 @ 19:44
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
Is that legal Jim? Oh that is right Morgan lives in Florida.
05/19/06 @ 20:11
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
I just noticed that Annika Sorenstam shot 24 over par as an amateur in the 1992 U.S. Women's Open when she was 22 years old. I wonder what Alex was saying about her back then?

This little known fact puts Michelle's accomplishments at fourteen, fifteen and sixteen years old in perspective.
05/19/06 @ 20:22
Comment from: Johnny N. [Visitor]
One-Putt,
Morgan will soon be 18 anyway, so she can marry Michael Campbell anywhere she wants.

I think Mark Hensby might be more up her alley though.
He's supposed to be a complete something.
05/19/06 @ 22:04
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
"Comment from: Johnny N. [Visitor]
One-Putt,

I think Mark Hensby might be more up her alley though.
He's supposed to be a complete something."

I think she lied about her age Johnny. She looks like she is in Junior high waiting for puberty to kick in.

05/20/06 @ 04:11
No whining here. But if I were an enterprise yearning for more mainstream attention, I'd surely court media outlets, especially those that are generally positive. Just plain dumb business decisions, IMO.
05/22/06 @ 07:32
I think the critical point from my neo liberal-conservative traditionalist vantage is, this was a minor LPGA event. Open the gates to any blogger that wants in. At least they'll buy some trinkets and maybe a beer or two. You give away enought tickets, anyway.
06/08/06 @ 10:58
This is my first time I have visited this site. I found a lot of interesting information in your blog. From the volume of comments on your posts, I guess I am not the only one! keep up the great work.
12/17/10 @ 02:48

This post has 4 feedbacks awaiting moderation...