« Jim Furyk, Links Golf & Imagination - OR - The Greatest Shot of My LifeCrowd Favorites Natalie Gulbis and Darren Clarke Can't Finish »

Comment from: Randy Hebert [Visitor]
I wish we could bet on it here too. I have a few extra dollars to risk so I'd take a flyer on Luke Donald at 25/1 and Paul Casey at 45/1.
07/18/06 @ 12:39
The gambling rules in the US are so hypocritical, it's ridiculous. As long as the government is running the game, it's ok. The Lottery, the daily number & Keno are available nationwide, no problem. By not allowing other forms of gaming, all they are accomplishing is losing revenue to the illegal bookies and operations. Because people are gonna gamble, it's a fact of life.

Enough soap box for now. Anybody else want to make a mythical wager on the Open here?
07/18/06 @ 13:36
Comment from: LimeyLew [Visitor]
Good job Shanks. Not only on golf,
but the wagers on OUR football in
Britain was one of the highlites
of our trip a couple of years ago....
I'll take Immelman for 10 pounds
please!!
07/18/06 @ 13:46
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
I like Darren Clarke at 35/1.
No clue what Ian Poulter's odds are, but he's near the top of the Tour in overall driving. Might be a good longshot.
07/18/06 @ 14:07
Comment from: jon [Visitor]
I'll take Padraig Harrington at 20/1. I can go on and on about how he is steadlly improving, he is due for a win, etc. But the bottom line is that he has a cool name.
07/18/06 @ 18:00
Comment from: jon [Visitor]
Side note: The pairing to watch before the cut is Woods/Faldo. Tiger Woods will pummel Faldo. Faldo will wish he could crawl back to the broadcasting booth, and Tiger, being Tiger, will not relent.
07/18/06 @ 18:28
If I knew Harrington, I'd nickname him Paddio.

I don't think Faldo is terribly worried about the virtually guaranteed spanking that Tiger will give him for 2 days. He expects that. I think he's probably more concerned about not embarassing himself with poor play.
07/18/06 @ 22:45
Poulter went off at 66/1 .... nice longshot call, Kiel.
07/20/06 @ 08:45
Comment from: bob the brit [Visitor]
wow..i didnt realise you could not have a bet on sporting events in the u s. why? Here in england you can bet on practically anything. After the first round tiger has been backed down to 5-2..there is a helluva lot of money on him over here,sentimentality is one thing backing a winner is another.
07/20/06 @ 19:28
Comment from: Randy Hebert [Visitor]
I need a mulligan on my picks after the first round, I picked the wrong Brits. Pretty nice leaderboard after the first day.
07/20/06 @ 20:06
Excluding horse racing, the only place in the US to legally wager on sporting events is in the state of Nevada. Ridiculous, isn't it?

07/21/06 @ 07:49
Yeah, Randy, looks like Donald & Casey will need a good round just to make the cut. Harrington is in the same condition but Els & Clarke are in good shape to get in the fray.

Immelman withdrew & Poulter started very nicely but crumbled on the back nine.
07/21/06 @ 08:17
Comment from: Jon [Visitor]
It just goes to show you how tough it is to pick the winner in a golf match. I withdraw all my positive comments about Harrington. He can't finish, lol. More seriously, I think he will eventually come through. Harrington at 20/1 seemed a better pick than Tiger at 5/1 at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.
07/21/06 @ 17:51
Comment from: Randy Hebert [Visitor]
Yeah hindsight is 20/20. As big a fan as i am of the Big Easy's swing, I couldn't pick him after watching him putt at Loch Lomand. But then again he hasn't gotten by Tiger yet either. If Tiger extends it tomorrow it is over, If they can somehow hang with him and tighten the leaderboard a bit, we could be in for a great Sunday finish.
07/22/06 @ 01:20
If I had bet evenly on Harrington and Els (paying down to 4th place), I would have made just a little more on Els than the loss on Harrington. Break even, basically.
07/24/06 @ 09:49