« Ryder Cup Needs Special RulingSergio Garcia Issues Ryder Cup Challenge to Tiger Woods »

Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor]
I would make a substantial wager that, given a choice, at least Tiger, Phil, and Toms wouldn't show up at the Ryder Cup. Think about it, these are professionals and golf is their work. Do you enjoy working for free ? The truth is they are intimidated into playing and would be called traitors and worse by the media if they blew it off. I really don't think they enjoy playing for free while empty suits make millions off the fruits of their labor.
In 4 ball I would play Wetterich with Verplank. Wetterich makes birdies and eagles but has snowmen too, perfect for better ball.
09/12/06 @ 22:17
I would say that you are partly correct only because the top US players have to play a team competition every year in either the Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup. The rest of the world gets a year off.

What I'd like to see is the two combined, where the team who wins this year would defend the Ryder Cup the following year against the team who sits the year out - but on the challenging team's "home" course. Could you see if the Euro team were to win and then next year go to, say, Australia to take on the International team. It would be huge. Then, the year after that, the US team would play the Euro / International winner in the US. Now, that would generate world wide interest and give everybody an occasional year off.

I agree on Wetterich usually being a great fourball partner. He's one of the top birdie makers on Tour when he's on form.
09/13/06 @ 07:43
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor]
I agree every year is a bit much, but your idea won't fly because if the Americans aren't in it the TV people and others who benefit financially from Tiger playing for free would have a conniption.
09/13/06 @ 18:36
Unfortunately, the PGATour runs the Presidents Cup, while the Ryder Cup is run by the PGA of America - two totally different groups. However, I believe that if all of the superstars like Tiger, Phil, Els & Singh got together and threatened a boycott until they came to an agreement, it would happen. There would still be a competition every year, so the money & interest would be there. You don't think the International team would want to play the Euros? Hell, yes! Most of those guys play in Europe quite a bit.
09/14/06 @ 08:00
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor]
Absolutely the Internationals would love play the Euros. My point was Tiger is the money man when it comes to TV. Golf fan(atics) like me will watch anything, hell I even watch tournaments at my home club Grenelefe, but the masses only watch when Woods is playing. Whoever is broadcasting the HSBC matchplay is crying right now.
09/14/06 @ 12:45
That's why I'm saying the only way a change will be made is if Tiger goes in with some others and threatens a boycott .... the money men will give their attention to him/them .....
09/14/06 @ 12:49
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor]
I don't think they have the stones to do it. I agree completely that they should but IMG and the like would have a fit.

Incidentally, one could make a case that Tiger is the worst paid athlete on the planet. On a very good year he makes 10 mil playing. Any above average baseball player makes that and Tiger is likely the number one athlete in the world. Sure he makes a bunch pitching products but since Woods is responsible for the purses increasing it seems he should earn a lot more playing and I have a sneaking hunch that's what he is thinking too.
09/14/06 @ 13:24
I would disagree that Tiger is the worst paid athlete, but only because golf is not a first-tier sport. (Hard to believe not everybody thinks like we.)
09/14/06 @ 13:27
Cink and Henry should've played together for at least 3 of the 4 two-man team matches. Not that it would have made much difference.
09/25/06 @ 10:09