« Sorry, Sports Illustrated, but the Best Tournament of 2006 was Played by WomenLPGA Resume of Lorena Ochoa Still Lacking, Barely »

Comment from: patricia [Visitor] Email
With all due respect, what makes you so sure that Michelle Wie is unhappy, or being harmed by what's happening to her? You surmise that her "camp" is is "subjecting her" to humiliating beatings by male professionals. How bout: she's not "being subjected" to anything, she herself is insisting on playing with the males, and is not humiliated at all by being defeated by them. She's a 17 year old girl. Why should she be humiliated by being defeated by the best adult male players in the world? She shouldn't and she's not. She's said it herself, she "learns from playing with the men and she's ready to put years and years into being a becoming a better competitor in men's events". Also, she doesn't need the women's events to build her confidence...she's got confidence in spades.

Men tend to like to see young girls in the victim role. It feeds their fragile egos. From what I can see Michelle is no victim. I see it as she's doing what SHE wants to do, the way SHE wants to do it, and personally, I hope she doesn't try for a more conventional route in 2007, and if she does, then I'll feel that she's probably being manipulated.
11/30/06 @ 12:41
Comment from: SM [Visitor] Email
Shanks,
I'm 100 percent with you on this one.
11/30/06 @ 12:55
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
Shanks, why would Michelle petition the LET for membership when she could hold a LPGA exempt card with a waiver? Ms. Bivens is just waiting for Michelle to ask the question.

Michelle could still graduate with her high school class and attend college in the fall while meeting the LPGA 10 event minimum for a rookie. She gets to play two events outside of the tour and both could be men's events if she chooses.

According to some sources Michelle will have enough credits to graduate at this semesters end. Paula and Morgan both left school early and took classes by mail to graduate with their class.

Michelle should begin college with second semester status, based on the AP classes she took and her level of foreign language proficiency. She has many of her college freshman year core requirements completed before she walks in the door.

Hey if it takes her five years to get a degree, who cares?

11/30/06 @ 12:55
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
Wie got nearly 1 million to play at Casio. I'd subject my daughter to that any day of the week.

I think we can assert she'll never be the great champion we thought, but she did get stinking rich really easily and is set for life. It's her path, not a noble one, but I don't blame her.
11/30/06 @ 12:56
Comment from: Bruce Stasch [Member] Email
Golf Girl,

I don't think us MEN think that Michelle is the victim. More like an idiot for continually putting herself in this position.

Have you ever played team sports? Ever had your team lose repeatedly to better competition? Ever see the dejected look of the members of your team when they get throughly trounced? On a regular basis? Doesn't feel too good and isn't good for one's self image either.

Losing to men repeatedly, is not a case of portraying a woman as a victim. It it more like a boxer getting beaten senseless. Isn't there a point of enough is enough?

At this time, the only thing that Ms. Wie is proving is that she currently doesn't have a chance playing against the men unless she improves dramatically. If she continues down this same path, she's an idiot, not a victim.
11/30/06 @ 12:57
Comment from: InTheBunker [Visitor] Email
Patricia,

Professional sport is a ompetition to win; to pit the best participants in their respective sports against one another to decide the best of the best. As fans, we pay to see the best of the best in competition. The PGA Tour attempts to assemble the best by setting standards for participation--many aspiring golfers are competing for the priviledge to play on that stage in Q-School.

You can slice it any way you want, MW does not belong on that stage, yet. She is a novelty act, a marketing tool at this. Sponsors have the right to dole exemptions, but the Tour has an obligation to provide the strongest field of competitors it can to keep the product legitimate. She's not qualified; if she thinks she is, it's time to prove it--earn playing priviledges.

Also, I find your belief that a 17 yr old can be immune to the ridicule of an international spotlight incomprehensible. She's great talent, but she is human.
11/30/06 @ 13:15
Patricia, I am of the opinion that a 16-17 year old boy OR girl doesn't know what's best for them, paticularly when it comes to their long term interest. Doesn't have a thing to do with female empowerment. Sometimes as a parent you have to tell your children 'no'. Following your line of reasoning, an 0-10 boxer will be a champion in another 5-10 fights because he learned soooo much while getting his beatings. As you already must know, golf imposes great strain on the psyche. And once damaged, it rarely - if ever - gets back to 100%.

Brandon, I'm not shocked at your money-grabbing viewpoint as you're still semi-young and likely a bachelor. I'd rather my child develop the opportunity to be great at wherever their talent lies, rather than be an answer to a pop trivia quiz.
11/30/06 @ 13:22
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Brandon Tucker said:
"I think we can assert she'll never be the great champion we thought"

Brandon, how could anyone possibily assert that about someone who just turned 17. That is one of the most ridiculous comment made, about golf or about anything in general.
11/30/06 @ 13:27
Comment from: patricia [Visitor] Email
Bruce, again, I think you're seeing it from a paternalistic, male perspective. I don't think she feels at all like she's being "beaten senseless". You and most other men proabably would, but I don't think she does. As I said, I think she feels like she's learning... and persevering slowly, patiently, despite defeats and critisim, towards her long term goal...EGO INTACT! I know it's hard for guys to understand. I've seen guys play sports and generally their egos don't handle defeat well at all. It's just not the same for women. I've played competitive sports, lacrosse and tennis, and yes it feels great to win and lousy to lose, but it never, ever affected my self image. We all acknowledge that women are wired differently from men and that different values are culturally imposed on us right? So.... I may be totally wrong... Michelle may have a major emotional breakdown tomorrow and need all kinds of counseling. I hope not. But at the same time, I don't think you and others can be so sure that she's humiliated or manipulated...or that she's an idiot.
11/30/06 @ 13:29
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Shanks and friends,

The girl played some bad tournaments. Those tournaments were against men and women players.

She simply had a dip in form and that's all.
Enough of the dramatics already!

She will be back to form soon enough, hopefully in time for the Sony and is likely to have another progression next season and do even better than she did in the 2006 season, which would be a big achievement.

11/30/06 @ 13:30
Comment from: Baby Blue Eyes [Visitor] Email
With the sponsorship money she is receiving, she or her camp will have to give up some of their freedom to choose. They will HAVE TO participate in high profile events to justify the money paid to her.

When you cut a deal, you have to live up to your end of the bargain. Even if she or her camp recognizes their mistakes right now, they are probably tied to the contracts they signed.

11/30/06 @ 13:33
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Patricia,
Your comments are very insulting towards males.

I am a man, but I agree that she is not being humiliated.
You are just using the example of a couple of idiot males and trying to say that means all males think that way.
That is not the case. There are plenty of males who agree with what Michelle is doing.

There is also plenty of females who agree with the males you were referring to. Just ask Nancy Lopez or Dottie Pepper. They are females yet they share the exact opinion that you try to apply to male views.

If you want to attack people who say stupid things that is fine, but stop attacking the male people, because there are equal number of female idiots as well.
11/30/06 @ 13:34
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
"Up until now, the Wie camp has taken a dangerous & uncharted course and may have inflicted irreparable psychological damage."

Shanks all it did was make Michelle more determined to get her game back together after her season. While we are discussing her future she is practicing every day to correct her swing faults and regain her form. Practice is good therapy.

It takes a short dry course for Michelle to have any hope of keeping up with the guys in a men's event or making a cut. She has no hope at all if she is playing from just her carry distance on a wet course. She ain't that long.

Did anyone really expect her to make the cut at the 84 or Omega? I didn't, and the Casio was a possibility until it rained.

11/30/06 @ 13:37
11/30/06 @ 13:49

Ron Monster, you can write about Wie reading books and going to museums all you want. I'm of the opinion that she can become experienced in all that is good about life in her spare time. Even Tiger doesn't practice 16 hours a day.
11/30/06 @ 14:03
"Comment from: Ron Mon [Member]
The problem I have with the blog is that no new ideas are presented. This is the same stuff, over and over, that one person or another mentions. The focus is always on golf, with no real mention of her development as a person. Is it too late for that?"

She seems like a pretty well adjusted kid to me Ron. Maybe it is the fans and writers that are out of whack? Michelle is just playing the game of golf and is not trying to rule the known World.

11/30/06 @ 14:04
Comment from: Baby Blue Eyes [Visitor] Email
The Wie-warriors are out in full force....

11/30/06 @ 15:07
Comment from: Jade Green Eyes [Visitor] Email
Shank,

If Wie is my daugther, I will be home counting money, not writing blogs.

God bless....
11/30/06 @ 15:31
Baby Blue, don't get me wrong, I'm a realist and money's nice. But do you think, given the choice, that Michelle Wie would take greatness or riches? All I'm saying is don't put the cart before the horse.
11/30/06 @ 15:37
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Jade,
It is Shanks, not Shank.
He Shanks quite a bit, hence the plural.
11/30/06 @ 15:40
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Ron Mon: "The focus is always on golf, with no real mention of her development as a person. Is it too late for that? "

Ron Mon, she is a great person, she is far more developed as a person that practically anyone of a simlilar age. You should not worry in that regard.
11/30/06 @ 15:41
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Ron Mon,
If you want to worry about anyone's development as a person, perhaps you should concentrate some of that energy into helping Chris Baldwin develop as a person.

He could do with it.
11/30/06 @ 15:42
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Comment from: Baby Blue Eyes [Visitor]
"The Wie-warriors are out in full force....

Where is Alex and Judge Smail to the rescue to put some senses into the advancing army of Wie?"

Baby Blue Eyes, Alex and Judge Smail are busy listening to their Jojo cds and will join the blog discussion later.
11/30/06 @ 15:44
Stan the Man, thanks for the correction, even tho your reasoning is a bit off. Shanks is a nickname my Dad gave me, having nothing to do with golf at the time. However, there was a 2 month period about 20 years ago where I was struck with a case of the shanks. There's nothing quite like going through that. Can't even look your playing partners in the eye after a couple hosel-rockets.
11/30/06 @ 16:01
Comment from: Jade Green Eyes [Visitor] Email
Shanks,

Since you respond with civility, I will return the gesture.

I do think that the Wies are putting capitalizing on the opportunities presented to her ahead of nurturing her talents.
11/30/06 @ 17:45
Comment from: John D [Visitor]
Totally WRONG, WRONG,WRONG.

Wie-Wee should be MADE to attend school, everyday, with other 17 year olds. Learn to be a kid. Do kid things. Not out trying to compete with the "MASTERS" of the game. Go to college, learn how to play the game and compete with other girls her own age. (Shucks, who knows, she might win a match or two). Then after she proves herself worthy to compete on the LPGA - Oh, I forgot she can't do that anymore, since claiming to be a pro. Too bad we can't go back in time and start over. Oh well, I guess she'll just have to learn to live her life as a LOOOOOOOSER!
11/30/06 @ 18:06
If I may say so, Shanks, I think you were being very generous to her parents.
11/30/06 @ 18:26
Comment from: Joe R [Visitor] Email
I like your comments and plan for 2007 for Michelle. I would question the home school part and let her enjoy Senior Year in High School. It may be the only normal thing she gets to do now.

Otherwise it is too logical and intelligent for many on this blog to appreciate. Unfortunately, I agree with one comment above, once she took the money she surrendered some degree of freedom of choice. Let's hope the sponsors will be a bit patient and let her follow a slower path that may let her develop her golf skills and actually be successful rather than burn out too soon.
11/30/06 @ 18:31
Comment from: Abraxas [Visitor] Email
She should continue school so that, unlike the author of this article, she'll learn the subjunctive mood in English. This will allow her to compose proper titles, such as "If Michelle Wie Were My Daughter".
11/30/06 @ 19:33
Comment from: Shanks [Member] · http://www.travelgolf.com/blogs/shanks
"One Putt, the reason Wie should not apply for LPGA membership is that she would be too restricted. She is an international star who IMHO could & should play in Europe and Asia, but almost exclusively against women. Assuming she wins at that level, only then I would consider stepping up participation against stiffer competition."

Shanks playing on the LPGA is not a life sentence (unless you are hanging around for the retirement plan) and Michelle can change tours later if she gets her game up to a level where she can "qualify" for the men's tour.

Nobody on the tour or those in blogland could question her presence in PGA events if she somehow made it thru Q school in the future.

It is obvious that at this moment she is well able to hold her own against the best the LPGA has to offer and most likely in the near future she couldn't make a cut on the Nationwide much less the PGA Tour.

The LPGA has enough co-sponsored events in Europe and Asia to give Michelle exposure.
12/01/06 @ 02:07
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
My, my, Patricia knows all the feminist platitudes, doesn't she?

Oh, woe is me!
Oppressed I am by the patriarchy!
You big, bad men, can't you see?
You best clear the way for little Miss Wie!

What's the matter, Pattie? Daddy was mean to you? Your first boyfriend who you thought you were in love with jilted you?

Bubbles doesn't belong in the men's arena, PERIOD! And I have both the insight to know it and the intestinal fortitude to say it.

As that Shakespearean character said, "Begone, vile wench!"
12/01/06 @ 04:36
Comment from: Dave Marrandette [Visitor]
Shanks, way to go! All ya hafta do is mention Wie and the world starts spinning on its axis again. Let's face it, all the blogging in the world will not change the approach that Mr. Wie has with his daughter. It's time for Dr. Phil.
12/01/06 @ 06:47
Comment from: Baby Blue Eyes [Visitor] Email
Stanley,

I am just glad they are not listening to the Prussian Blues CD.

Judge Smails,

Wow, did not realize you are a poet...I gotta tip my hat to you...
12/01/06 @ 07:59
Comment from: Mike [Visitor] Email
Maybe, Michelle Wie is just an only child, spoiled brat, who is doing what she wants to do and isn't listening to anyone but herself. For all we really know, her mother and father have gently tried to coax her in a different direction and she has just flatly refused to listen.

Secondly, Patricia states that we men only look at it from a paternalistc point of view. Well there's a big "Dah". You admitted yourself that were wired differently , but because it's paternalistic doesn't mean it's wrong as you so seem to hint.

Take any 16 or 17 year old kid in America today and try to tell them what is right or wrong and they just tune you out. Add a kid that has millions of dollars to that, knowing that your talent hs made it all possible for not just yourself, but your parents to be rich, and you have a impossible monster on your hands.

The human brain does not fully develop until age 25. From where I sit, Michelle, with her awesomes and cools is a couple years behind schedule.

12/01/06 @ 09:02
Comment from: Booger [Visitor] Email
I actually agree with Ron Mon 100%. Her
development as a whole person does not
seem to a major priority. Korea is a
country which still has arranged marriages,
creating the culture of "woman as commodity".
The Wie family, although US citizens,
identify as Koreans. What we see as
exploitation of this young girl, they may
see as making good use of their daughter.

Truth doesn't make you an evil racist, commie
flamers waiting to pounce. We may be aghast,
but they have their ways and we have ours.

Now...where's my Prussian Blue cd...?
12/01/06 @ 09:04
Comment from: Apollo [Visitor] Email
Who cares anymore what Michelle does? What good does it do for anyone to argue about what she or her family or her sponsors want to do? I just want to see good golf.

12/01/06 @ 09:24
Comment from: Apollo [Visitor] Email
Patricia wrote:

"As I said, I think she feels like she's learning... and persevering slowly, patiently, despite defeats and critisim, towards her long term goal..."

Talk about delusional. The last time she played with the ladies at the Samsung Worold Championship, she placed 17th in a 20 player field. That's learning?

Shanks article was dead on right and constructive and not at all biased against Michelle. Her supporters are not just getting increasingly delusional. They are getting quite paranoid, too. Could that be the effect on their psyches from Michelle constantly being a bottom dweller in her more recent tournaments against both males and females?
12/01/06 @ 09:40
Comment from: Fred [Visitor] Email
Everyone has their own opinions but do not have the right to place labels on others or other’s statements. For example calling MW a Looooooser is a terrible thing to do. I feel some of you are just jealous her good fortune and feel she is not deserving . I am in total agreement with Patricia Give the kid a break, is it a big deal that she has set high goals? They are her goals not yours or anyone else’s goals. It is her right to try and achieve them in her own way. Come on now you nay Sayers, it is her dream and aspiration not yours. As for I see it she is in a win, win situation. When The Williams sisters of Tennis fame first started on the Professional tennis circuit, the nay Sayers were saying the same thing about how they should have begin their training, now millions of dollars later it seems they did just find. Sure some would say , they could have done better. If they did there would also be those that would criticize their efforts. As long as the big corporations and golfing venues owners decide they want Michelle Wie to participate, why not? If you don’t want to support her and her efforts, then don’t. The way I see it and by the look of her galleries you won’t be missed.
12/01/06 @ 10:42

Shanks -
Michelle isn't being forced into a dimly lit basement sweat-shop to work 16-hour shifts. She's choosing to play the world's finest golf courses alongside the world's finest golfers. By the time she develops her A-game (at about age 24) she'll have gained a treasure trove of golfing knowledge.

My hat is off to MW's parents for a first-rate job of parenting a fine young woman.

With alcohol, meth, cocaine, heroin, etc. and etc. threatening teens in every community in America, jetting around the world to play golf with the pros (male or female) just doesn't raise my hackles. Yeah, if Michelle were my daughter I'd say go for it kiddo... and thank God you're staying out of trouble.
12/01/06 @ 12:35
Comment from: Lamb and Lynx [Visitor] Email
Mucus, Korea might have arranged marriage ad consume puppies as meals, but I do not think they condone the kind of brother and sister union that produced you....
12/01/06 @ 13:18
Comment from: Giles [Visitor] Email
I attended the 2005 Walker Cup matches in the the Chicago area and met a former PGA
tour player. His present occupation is consulting young golfers/parents about
turning pro. I ask him what criteria he used "mental toughness, shot creativity,
short-long game balance etc." He told me
he only used the young golfer won - lost record. Every young golfer has potential. Michelle Wie supporters want people to
believe that potential is more important
than demostrated ability.
12/01/06 @ 13:44
Comment from: Booger [Visitor] Email
Lamb and Lynx are jealous of my intellect
and musical prowess. Tell your mom to
let you develop your own political opinions.
And please, learn to sing in key!
12/01/06 @ 17:42
---Comment from: Booger [Visitor]
Lamb and Lynx are jealous of my intellect and musical prowess. Tell your mom to let you develop your own political opinions. And please, learn to sing in key!---

That must be it Komrade Booger, there really is no other logical explanation.
12/01/06 @ 17:59
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor] Email
Very good, Abraxas!
12/01/06 @ 21:43
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor] Email
I based my suggestions on what I believe would be best for Michelle Wie during only 2007. Makes sense to me that she should play against the best women all over entire world, given her international fame. So in addition to the LPGA, she would be well served to play the Euro & Japanese tours as well. Not to mention that would increase her chances of gaining the real confidence that only comes from winning.
12/01/06 @ 22:15
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
The last time I checked Shanks, the best women players in the World are playing on the LPGA Tour.

The LPGA co-sanctions events in both Europe and Asia.

There are no millionaires on the money lists of the other ladies tours, unless they add in their LPGA earnings.

Michelle was a chip and a putt from a chance of beating the best women golfers in the World at a LPGA Major, why play anywhere else?

Without using the internet, can anyone except Ronnie tell me a tournament in Japan Paula Creamer won in 2005?
12/02/06 @ 03:55
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor] Email
One-Putt, you are obviously American. No question, the best Euro & Asian players play on the LPGA Tour and the LPGA is the best Tour. Not even close. But the best players still in Europe and Asia play on THOSE tours. And Wie plays to a world wide audience. If she were to join the LPGA, she'd be limited to only the events that the LPGA co-sanctions, not to mention the limitation of 2 non-LPGA events. I wouldn't limit Wie to the LPGA's idea of how much she can play without them. That rule of theirs is ridiculous. I believe that she will want to remain a world traveler, much like Ernie Els for instance. And don't forget the commercial implications of her playing all over the world.
12/02/06 @ 07:50
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
The Wie Warriors constantly sound off about how much Bubbles' presence adds to the coffers of the tournament sponsors after her agents wangle her those freebies on the PGA and Euro tours.

But tell me, Wie-wee's, how much does she add to the gate on those tours on "moving day" (Saturday) and Sunday? Or have you all forgotten that she is in her hotel room by then or on her private jet musing about her sparkly watch?

Please explain to us unenlightened ones just what she "learned" in her recent three outings against the men, (Omega, 84 Lumber, and Casio) when she shot about 50 over par and had her lunch handed to her.

12/02/06 @ 08:54
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
You're right Shanks I am an American and proud of it. That said, I didn't use my nationality as a a basis for my statements.

If we take for granted the Rolex Women's World Golf Rankings mean something, how many of the top 30 female golfers hold LPGA cards? All but four Japanese ladies.

The poll question of the day on the LPGA website is: "Which country will have the most players earn LPGA Tour cards for 2007? Right now South Korea leads with 68 percent.

Shanks I'll agree that they might develop some of the best female golfers on the Euro and Asian tours, but most of the best strive to play on the LPGA tour.

Yuri Fudoh the top JLPGA member listed in 13th place on the Rolex board appeared in five events outside of her tour, Kraft, McDonalds, U.S. Women's Open, Weetabix and Evian. Her best finish was a tie for 15th at the Kraft. Her worst was finishing 65th in the Evian.

Gwladys Nocera who sits at number two on the LET money list (Laura Davies is number one) resides in 47th place on the Rolex rankings and finished in 113th place at LPGA Q school.

The "BEST" female golfers in the World hold an LPGA card. The LET, Austrailian and Asian Tours are just slightly above the level of the LPGA Futures tour.
12/02/06 @ 13:28
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
Shanks, here's the beef :
The Wie's had a big problem, take millions of dollars now, while the taking is available or go the Tiger Woods root. Since no one knows exactly how good a junior golfer will ultimately be it is dicey to not strike while the iron is hot. The odds that a young player, no matter how good, will be the next Woods or Nicklaus is a very long shot. So I don't blame the Wie camp for cleaning up now BUT I feel very strongly they have destroyed Michelle as a golfer, very similar to Ty Tryon. Golf is as much between the ears as it is physical as anyone who has had the yips knows and while Michelle acts like these recent performances don't bother her we all know she has been devastated mentally. Especially because of all the hype and insane statements she made prodded by the media.
12/02/06 @ 21:23
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
I meant Tiger Woods ROUTE !
12/02/06 @ 22:09
Comment from: John Z [Visitor] Email
Shanks,

Your post expresses my opinion almost exactly.

I don't post here very often because of all the insults and name-calling.

But I am a 76 year-old father, grandfather, and now, great-grandfather who has been involved with the raising and nurturing of many children of both sexes. In addition, since my retirement, I've been a volunteer coach and mentor in several athletic leagues in my area.

For these reasons, I am familiar with the actions of pushy parents who want to re-live their youths vicariously through their children.

That it bad enough, but when the pressured child becomes a PROFESSIONAL at age sixteen and is used as the vehicle to riches for greedy parents and agents, the psychological harm to any kid, especially a teenage girl, can be devastating when unrealistic expectations cannot be met.

Have any of the defenders of Michelle's parents ever read about the struggles of Dominique Moceanu and the many other girls gymnasts? Several had to be legally emancipated from overbearing parents.

The same goes for McCauley Culkin and scores of other child actors.

And, of course, the celebrated case of Leann Rimes, the teen Country and Western star, who went to court to free herself from her greedy parents.

Michelle Wie's case has all the earmarks of these and literally hundreds of others. No child should have the onus of vastly improving the lives of her parents and agents as far as finance is involved.

Those of her fans who think that her golf game has not been affected by her disasters in men's events and even in the Weetabix(6 over par) are deluding themselves.

I'll be back here next year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, especially to Miss Wie.
12/03/06 @ 10:01
Comment from: Jeff Gibson [Visitor] Email
Why would someone want to be a mediocre player on the PGA Tour, where the best she might do is make a cut?

The assumption here is that she is a work in progress. The truth is that girl's athletic development is about five years ahead of boys. 14 year old girls compete with adult women in many sports on a world stage. A 12 year old qualified for their Open Championship. There is no way a 17 year old boy can compete with adult men on a National level in any sport. Furthermore, one of the least talked about charactereistics of female tour players is that they generally do not improve once they arrive on tour. Annika is a glaring exception to this rule. Nancy Lopez was never better than her first year.

The average age of a man thorugh tour school was about 32 years. The average age of a woman was about 22.
What does this mean? Michele may never be better than she is now. She probably is maxed out. Furthermore, do not think of her as a 15 or 16 year old. Think of her as a 22 or 23 year old. It is like dog years.

How can the LPGA condone her saying if she is good enough, she does not play with the girls? Her message is that only girls that cannot play with the men play on the LPGA Tour. That is horrible.

I think there is a great chance that Michele could end of being one of the saddest stories of our lives. She is being asked to do something she cannot do. She is doomed to being unhappy.
12/03/06 @ 12:47
Jeff,

Excellent post; your analysis is almost spot-on. However, before I expound upon that, I just want to mention a small area of disagreement. Seventeen-year-old boys not only can but have competed with the best men. Boris Becker won Wimbledon at seventeen, and I believe Michael Chang won the French Open at the same age (he could have even been sixteen).

Girls do develop earlier than boys, but the gap is two years, not five. Girls enter puberty two years earlier on average.

Now, Bubbles, though, is a different story. She matured EXTREMELY early; she looked like she was eighteen at age thirteen. This is why today, at seventeen, she doesn't look that much different.

Now I'll gloat a bit. For the last few years I've stated that Bubbles would not ascend above the level she was on at age fourteen. I said that she could improve ON THAT LEVEL, but making a leap to a higher one was highly improbable.

My reasoning had a basis in a firm grasp on reality. I understood that she was an early bloomer and, consequently, would not, could not, register the kind of improvement the average boy OR even girl would between sixteen and twenty-one. She had already tapped the upper reaches of her potential; she was a flower already in bloom.

For exhibiting perspicacity I was chastised and mocked by the callow, naive Wiemen. In essence, they stated that it was preposterous to assert that someone so young (they claimed this even when she was sixteen) would not improve markedly over the subsequent years. Obviously, they have no grasp of the reality of different rates of maturity and cannot recognize a golf game that has reached maturity.

And this misconception is what animated their predictions of greatness for Bubbles heretofore unseen in golf. Of course she was going to make a dent on the men's tour -- "If she's this good at __ [14, 15, 16 . . . take your pick], imagine how great she'll be in a few years. Those guys on the tour had better watch out!"

As they say, common sense is very uncommon.
12/03/06 @ 15:31
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
I forgot to mention something. In making the statements I just did, I don't mean to imply that Bubbles won't have a great career on the LPGA Tour. It's probable that she'll have a good one and entirely possible that she'll tame her demons and putter and be the greatest ever. She may even make the occasional cut on the men's tour; as I've said, that means nothing. But you can forget about her ever being a factor on the PGA. No matter what your PC, feminist fantasies tell you, that will never happen.
12/03/06 @ 15:55
Comment from: patricia [Visitor] Email
I might venture to guess that it's the culturally imposed obligation to bear children that stunts many women's athletic aspirations prematurely - not a specific female physical shortcoming.
12/03/06 @ 16:26
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Judge Smails, If some of the Wie Warriors would do some investigation of the sport of thoroughbred racing, they might acquire some concept of the term "class."

If some anxious and delusional owner of a two-year old filly entered his charge in a stakes race for four year old colts and up, she would be beaten by about 30 lengths and finish dead last, similar to the results Bubbles has against the PGA tour.

The difference is that while the PGA allows Bubbles to play in PGA events on sponsors" exemptions, no race track, track stewards, or racing commision would ever allow such an obvious mismatch to take place.

Bubbles, as well as any female golfer no matter how accomplished, is hopelessly out-classed when matched against the men.

In the same vein, if the owner of the filly realized by her consistently being trounced in her present class of competition that she was in over her head, he or she would doubtless move her down in class. That is the correct move for Bubbles.

She has shown that she is out-classed by the men and should take her game to people in her own class:women.
12/03/06 @ 18:14
Alex,

No doubt. Unfortunately, though, the powers-that-be are content to let the Bubbles run the only race she's been finishing high in: The race for money.

Patricia,

Sadly, you don't guess any better than you reason. Bearing offspring has nothing to do with it since virtually no female athletes have children during the period of life in question (16-25).

Next theory.
12/03/06 @ 18:25
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Good grief, Patricia, how PC can you get?

For all of recorded history, women have relished their role as the bearers of children, as well as the nurturers of those children. It was known as "maternal instinct" and was celebrated in literature, drama, and the rest of the arts.

Now, to you demented feminists, it's a "culturally imposed obligation"

That would be funny if it weren't so sad.
12/03/06 @ 18:30
Alex,

12/03/06 @ 18:42
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor] Email
One-Putt, you're preaching to the choir. I fully agree that the LPGA is the absolute best tour in the world for women, by far. What I am suggesting - playing a bunch of events in Europe and Asia in addition to her 8 LPGA events - has as much to do with instilling or restoring confidence as it does with marketing. I believe she could really benefit from some wins. As far as the marketing aspect of this, please, don't anyone call me a greedy make-believe parent either. The genie is already out of the bottle. I'm just suggesting to make the best of the situation as it is.
12/03/06 @ 21:50
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Yeah, then Bubbles will have on her resume that she failed to win in Europe and Asia. What will that do to her confidence?
12/03/06 @ 22:28
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
Shanks I expect to see Michelle petition for a waiver into the LPGA after her recent lack of success on the men's tour.

Maybe you noticed Shanks the LPGA is setting the stage for Michelle by posting her career BIO on their LPGA website (the only non-member so honored). I see this as Ms. Bivens and the LPGA tour extending their hand and all Michelle has to do is reach out and grab it.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the boardroom at LPGA headquarters by February at the SBS when the 2007 tour begins.

12/04/06 @ 03:23
Aw, Smails, that was cold. I'm reasonably confident in saying that if Ai Miyazato can be dominant in Asia, that Michelle Wie would do the same there AND in Europe. Make any comparison you want with those two.
12/04/06 @ 07:47
12/04/06 @ 07:51
One-Putt,

12/04/06 @ 08:52
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Don't you boys worry your pretty little heads about Michelle. She's doing just fine. By the time she gets her "A" game together at about age 24, she'll have many many options. She will have gained enormous knowledge of the peculiarities of the layouts and greens of the world's most challenging courses. Anyone who thinks she should have a fully matured game before age 24 or so, has little or no knowledge of the game of golf.

Is she being treated like a "privileged character" with all these exemptions to men's PGA events? Yup. Deal with it.

All this feigned concern for MW's golfing welfare is laughable (the feigned concern for her sponsor's millions in endorsements doesn't pass the giggle test either).

MW, as a teenaged girl, plays the game of golf at a level that you hacks can't even imagine... and she's going to get better and better and better. That's what drives you guys batty.
12/04/06 @ 09:48
"Comment from: Shanks [Member] · http://www.travelgolf.com/blogs/shanks
One Putt - she might very well take that membership, but if I were guiding her I would not do it just yet."

One thing that always drove Annika and the other Euro players on the LPGA tour crazy was the "two events outside the tour" rule. Many of the Euro gals are heavily sponsored by Euro companies and have wanted the chance to appear in a couple more LET events than they can now.

Well Shanks who is sitting in one of the chairs in the boardroom now?

It should be pretty damn interesting what comes out over the next couple of months.

12/04/06 @ 12:52
***Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
One-Putt,

If Bubbles' performances in men's events are to be categorized as "lack of success", then I guess the Atlantic Ocean could be said to be "damp."***

The only tournament out of the last three I thought Michelle could have a chance at the cut was the Casio Open Alex. Anyone who thought she had a chance at the 84 or Omega with the way the courses are laid out is quite mad. Michelle's chances at the Casio were cut from very good (based on past rounds) to none once the rains came and she dropped a new Sumo2 brick on a rope into her bag.

12/04/06 @ 13:33
***Comment from: Judge Smails "[Visitor]
Alex,

Well put. It's as if these Feminazis believe that the patriarchy enacted a law stating that only women may become pregnant. Hey, I don't like men's culturally imposed problem of going bald. Where can I go for redress?"***

Put down the pill bottle Rush.
12/04/06 @ 13:36
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
One-Putt, I hope you realize that you have adamantly stated that your comrade and fellow Wie Warrior is "quite mad."
12/04/06 @ 14:40
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
One-Putt, Jim C is your compatriot of which I wrote. Throw in Norman also.
12/04/06 @ 14:41
Comment from: NYC [Visitor] Email
Ghet Rheel it's nice to see hear from you again. I agree that the feigned concern for Michelle from those who spend much of their day bashing her is pretty funny. I personally find her overhyped and her game underdeveloped, but I don't think she is going to throw herself off a bridge anytime soon. You may be right that it will take another 7 years for her to fully mature as a golfer and if that's the case then I wonder why we have been subjected to 4 years of Michelle is going to dominate anyday now and can I please pass a motion to hold off on her coronation until as you say she has her "A" game.

What is it with Wie fans who just assume that anybody who disagrees with the Wie will dominate the golf world theory must be jealous? I personally wouldn't trade games with Michelle--I would hate to sacrafice all that distance. As far as her getting better and better and better we have just the contrary over the past few months and I think that's what drives you Wie zealots crazy, the fear that she will not improve exponentiallyan and become the dominating force that you have mortgaged the farm on.
12/04/06 @ 15:27
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
NYC - Thanks (I think). Most of the unrealistic expectations come from her detractors. Others come from some of us who don't know what to expect. We're all in uncharted waters when it comes to making predictions about MW. The "smart money" (Nike, etc) bet 20 million or so in 2006 on MW's potential and will likely bet the same or more next year.

Nearly every top pro in the history of the game has blossomed in their early to mid twenties - not in their teens. I guess I'll trust history over the sky-is-falling crowd when it comes to passing judgment on Michelle now, as opposed to seven years from now.

Takes all kinds, I suppose.

12/04/06 @ 18:05
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
By the way, that "judge MW in dog years" clown... to people actually allow him to teach golf to their kids?

Wow
12/04/06 @ 18:09
Patricia,

If you have a desire for economic power, you only need follow the same path that my wife and millions of other women have taken for hundreds of years. Two criteria must be met.

1)Attract and marry a man who is loyal,and also provident, with a good job and a work ethic to match, and..

2)Be a loyal and attentive wife to your good and provident husband.

12/05/06 @ 08:31
Alex,

Please! Like Bubbles, Patricia has a dream that should remain unencumbered by the counsel of we oppressive white males. We should do nothing do impede her goal of being a 65-year-old spinster behind a Walmart checkout counter.
12/05/06 @ 08:48
Comment from: patricia [Visitor] Email
Well evidently you gentlemen have never checked out my blog. If you had you'd know that I'm a happily married and very subserviant girl (Ok, with a thing for Ernie Els). But don't bother to even look at it because you'd hate it. Because you're old curmudgoens. So there. Go watch Imus or something.
12/05/06 @ 11:26
Patricia,

This may disappoint you, but I'm not old at all (and I'm a heck of a lot better looking than Ernie Els). I do plead guilty to being a curmudgeon, however. And Imus? Do you think me the kind of man who indulges in such pedestrian frivolity?
12/05/06 @ 12:16
***Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Patricia,

2)Be a loyal and attentive wife to your good and provident husband.

If you do these two things, you will have all the economic power you'll ever need, you'll possess 100% of your husband's lifetime estate, and you might even be reasonably happy***

Alex old chum, you forgot some of your important beliefs:

--That a wife should always be kept barefoot, pregnant and chained to the stove in the kitchen.

--There is only one decision maker assigned to each family and that is the husband.

--It is the God given right of every husband to hold the remote and choose all programming the wife watches (so the wife's programming won't be interfered with).

--Marriage is a partnership as long as the husband is the Managing Senior Partner.

I'll end with a saying that best describes you Alex, "Opinions are like assholes and everyone has one."

12/05/06 @ 12:42
One-Putt,

12/05/06 @ 13:35
Comment from: Bambi [Visitor] Email
This sounds like the liberal left wing are Wie supporters; whilst the right wing conservatives are the Wie detractors.

The left-leaning crowd like to throw PC out there in their defense of Wie.

The right wing likes to maintain the status quo.

It is interesting to see the dynamics going from a debate about Wie to ethnic, political, age, and battle of the sexes.
12/05/06 @ 14:23
Bambi,

There is some truth to your take on the debate about Bubbles.

If you hadn't noticed, it is ALWAYS the Wie Warriors who introduce the accusations of racism and sexism when a critic of Bubbles and BJ Wie gives his opinion.

One crackpot Wie-wee with the handle of Ghet Rheel has said that there is a definite conspiracy afoot against Bubbles. Something about "astroturf." This clown actually thinks that critics of his sweetheart should be subjected to lawsuits.
12/05/06 @ 15:00
Comment from: Baby Blue Eyes [Visitor] Email
Patricia,

I read your blog...

You can not have it both ways: on one hand, you project yourself as a modern, educated, and professional woman; on the other, you dress like a teenager and act like 'Daddy's little girl'. Maybe you relish the duality. But if you want to be taken seriously, you have to take a stand and not be a fense sitter.
12/05/06 @ 15:55
Comment from: patricia [Visitor] Email
I totally relish the duality. I love paradoxes and I'm not overly concerned with being taken seriously. Life's too short for that. I do enjoy having the opportunity to voice my opinions, however. &:v)
12/05/06 @ 16:24
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
I think it is safe to say that Alex is a racist (anyone need proof?). In his defense, he may be too oblivious to the changing world around him to realize it.
12/05/06 @ 16:54
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
"I didn't realize that you had bought into the PC thing. I guess there are getting to be fewer and fewer of us real men.

When did it become all right to start using vulgarities as you did in your most recent post?"

Alex, I think I may be able to provide some insight into the psychology. Men like One-Putt have been so emasculated that the only way they can salvage a degree of a sense of manhood is with an exhibition of a rough-hewn, faux masculinity. Hence the vulgarity. They may be hen-pecked by the little lady at home, but they can still cavort with the "boys" (isn't "boys" the perfect characterization here?) and curse, tell crude jokes, leer at waitresses and, generally speaking, exhibit every characteristic male vice imaginable. Virtue is what is to be striven for, but vice is all some boys have.

12/05/06 @ 19:30
Ghet UnRheel,

The world changes all the time, but "A lie has speed, but Truth has endurance." Thus, "He who marries the spirit of the age will be a widower in the next."
12/05/06 @ 19:34
Pithy
12/06/06 @ 06:00
Ghet SurRheel,

There are several newbies posting on this board. Many probably haven't heard of your pet theory concerning the "great astroturf conspiracy" being leveled against Bubbles by a clandestine cabal of male chauvinists pigs.

Maybe you would be kind enough to give us all an update on this nefarious plot. Also include any information about pending litigation against Bubbles' critics. Thanks in advance.

No further advancing of the theory that Bubbles will come into full flower in seven years will be necessary.
12/06/06 @ 07:35
---Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor]

I wouldn't be surprised if ol' One-Putt is the kind of guy who has watched sporting events shirtless with a letter painted on his torso.---

Not bad for someone who has his head so far up Alex's butt he knows when Alex is having a case of flatulence before Alex does.
12/06/06 @ 12:58
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Now, One-Putt, that's not bad for a guy who has his head so far up Bubbles' posterior that he knows when she has bad breath before she does.
12/06/06 @ 13:37
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
What a rank amateur......Alex would have at least put some thought behind his retort.
12/06/06 @ 13:55
12/06/06 @ 23:38
***Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor]
In the future, One-Putt, I'll remember that you value originality when being insulted.***

Everyone appreciates a good delivery.
12/07/06 @ 02:00
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]

In all seriousness and sincerity, I'd like to repeat a request from all you Wie Warriors, one which I have asked prevously and to which I received no answer.

The Wie Warriors are fond of saying, as is Bubbles herself, how much she learns by playing on sponsors' exemptions on the PGA tour. My question was and is, what could she possibly learn by taking time from school, traveling long distances, playing two rounds of golf against male pros and being thoroughly out-classed, missing the cut by a mile and returning home?

She never gets to play under any real pressure. For instance,she doesn't play on "moving day" where the real pros jockey for position, or on Sunday, crunch time, with the tougher pin placements,when the real contenders go for the win. As I asked before, what does she learn, outside of the fact that she is in way over her head?

I'm not trying to be a wiseacre, I'm looking for a sensible reply from some of Bubbles' diehard supporters.
12/07/06 @ 08:48
Alex gets an 'attaboy' for getting back on subject. As most of you know, I've always been in the wait-and-see camp when it comes to Michelle Wie. The road to success is littered with an untold amount of the dead careers of potentially great players.

I think Alex has proposed an excellent question. After all, doesn't David Leadbetter already know all that she is seeking?
12/07/06 @ 09:14
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
"Alex gets an 'attaboy' for getting back on subject."

How sweet, Shanks. And what does Alex get for all the sexist and racist comments he has made on this and other associated blogs? A warm embrace and a free pass?
12/07/06 @ 11:17
Ghet UnRheel,

Since you are one of Bubbles' most ardent admirers, maybe you can answer my simple question. What can she possibly learn by getting trounced repeatedly in PGA events?

Ghet, for once ,dispense with the hogwash and give a straight answer, if you can.

12/07/06 @ 11:27
My participation in this forum will be focused on discussions of the golf world, not character analysis of participants in the forum. Other than keeping unacceptable profanity out of the discourse, I don't intend to censure the dialog here either. What do you think this is, Iraq?
12/07/06 @ 12:31
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
While Shanks won't be giving me an "attaboy," since I'll be digressing here, I want to give him one for his noble stand vis a vis free expression in this forum.

As for Ghet, he has earned nothing but my utter contempt for being a typical hypocritical liberal. It's ironic how the very folks who claim to value freedom and human rights are always the first ones to scream for censorship when they hear views that displease them. It's no wonder they have given us speech codes on college campuses and in corporations and hate speech laws in other countries.

What makes it even more ironic (although I understand it perfectly) is that while they are quintessential relativists and will claim -- when they hearing values they don't like -- that it's wrong to judge others, they're absolutely SURE they know what constitutes "immoral" speech. Hey, you mind-numbed ideologues, did it ever occur to you that people like me find your words to be as offensive as you find ours?

Go gargle with ball-washing fluid.
12/07/06 @ 15:38
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Notice, dear bloggers, I still haven't received an answer to my very simple and innocuous question. What could Bubbles possibly be learning about golf or anything else by getting her posterior handed to her in her forays into the PGA tour?

Come on, Wie Warriors, Ghet with it! You too, One-Putt and Patricia!

Words of wisdom, please!
12/07/06 @ 19:04
OK Alex I'll bite.

If one can assume you learn more from your failures rather than your successes, Michelle gained quite a education this season in her last five events.

12/08/06 @ 01:57
Comment from: Jay [Visitor] Email
1. I don't think Wie is traumatized by finishing dead last. So, don't worry too much for her. She might think it is a slump period, at least she had a great 1st half at LPGA, then it was after the British open she fell apart and all the following men's events.

2. If there is a sponser paying you 1 million $$$ just to participate in a Casio or whatever, would YOU not play ??? Huh ?

3. I do think the trend shows that she is not capable of competing with men in any degree, but you never know. It is not like there is a law of physics that says Wie won't perform well against men. Go figure...
12/08/06 @ 02:37
One-Putt,

Thanks for trying. That part about learning more from failures than from successes is debatable, but if that's the best you can come up with, it'll have to do.

I was hoping that you might have something to say of how Bubbles' physical, mental and emotional approaches to golf are vastly improved by getting drubbed and missing the cuts.
12/08/06 @ 07:55
Jay,

I didn't say a thing about Bubbles being traumatized by her dismal performances, and I'm not worried about her at all. Nor do I care if sponsors want to throw money at her.

There are several reasons why Bubbles or any other woman will never be able to compete with men in golf. Most are physiological, which you may have confused with physics.

As far as one never knowing if she wil ever be able to compete with men, all the smart money would bet against such a happening.

12/08/06 @ 08:10

Jay:

"I don't think Wie is traumatized by finishing dead last."

You exactly right, Jay. The Grinches are hoping against hope that MW is somehow devastated by not winning the PGA Grand Slam at 16. Besides, any disappointment she may have has been assuaged... $20,000,000 can be most soothing. The prospect of another $20 mil in the bank before she turns 18 should somehow lift her spirits.

All this mock-concern from the Grinches would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic. Michelle Wie is doing A-OK. She will continue to work through her learning curve until her game matures at about age 24.

Sadly, insanely jealous grown men will continue tilting at the Wie-windmill ad nauseam for decades to come. She will likely learn to tune them out completely by the time she turns 21 (if she hasn't done so already). So, what else is new?
12/08/06 @ 12:39
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Still nothing from the Wie-wee's about what Bubbles actually learns by getting shellacked, out-classed, and thoroughly embarrassed on Thursdays and Fridays on the PGA tour.

Wie Warriors, Bubbles says she learns a lot by her drubbings at the hands of the PGA pros, (as well as male amateurs)and you folks echo her statements. What does she learn?

Ghet, we all know that she and her Daddy and agents are adept at taking money under false pretenses. This isn't about money, except possibly to a guy like you. What does she learn when she bombs after two rounds?
12/08/06 @ 12:53
***Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
It may be possible, but so is the possibility of a pissant eating a bail of hay.***

Alex ten years ago I might have been in total agreement with you, but the rapid advances in golf technology have made me think it might be more possible for the pissant to finish that bail.

If I look at what has happened with my own game as an example, it is apparent you get longer as you get older or maybe the equipment just got better. Either way it sure is a ego boost to hit longer and straighter as you get older.

12/08/06 @ 13:34
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Can Grinches really be that damn stupid? What can an aspiring teenaged golfer learn about the intricacies of PGA tour golf by ACTUALLY PLAYING PGA tour events? Man, if you clowns can't figure that one out, you are truly the hacks of all hacks.

This is the time for Michelle to LEARN. Winning regularly and making PGA cuts will come by the time she turns 24 or so. The Wie family has everything under control. I feel so sorry for all the Grinches and for their incessant fretting over MW's psyche.
12/08/06 @ 14:11
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Ghet UnRheel, I didn't think you'd have an answer. I noticed it's now 24 OR SO that will be the age when Bubbles booms out.

An aspiring golfer might learn something about the pressures of the PGA tour IF he made the cut and was in some sort of contention on the weekend.

If playing poorly and missing cuts makes for increased golfing knowledge, Chip Beck must be the smartest golfer who ever lived. He missed close to 50 consecutive cuts at one time.

Bubbles may pass old Chip in ineptitude.
12/08/06 @ 15:58
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Beck - Vardon trophy, three-time Ryder Cup member, journeyman touring PGA pro. Fired a little 59 at the Las Vegas Inv.

Inept? What fantasy world do you live in? You really are a hack, aren't you.
12/08/06 @ 17:26
Ghet SurRheel,

Of course, Chip was and is ten times the golfer that Bubbles will ever be. He did, however, miss a ton of consecutive cuts during which time his play was truly inept.

Now, stay off the personal insults and give me an answer to my oft-repeated question: What does Bubbles learn when she gets thrashed and misses the cut in her PGA freebies?
12/08/06 @ 19:09
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
So, who made you social director on this cruise? Self-annointed? Thought so.

Do you understand the concept of "depth of knowledge"? I don't have time or inclination to list each of the thousands of micro lessons that are the fibres that create the thread that create the fabric we call "depth of knowledge". The fact that Michelle has the unique opportunuty to attain a substantial portion of her depth of knowledge from touring PGA pros, is a blessing for her.

If her only goal in life is to WIN, WIN, WIN, then she should find the easiest competition available and thump them week after week. If she truly aspires to compete on the PGA tour, then these exemptions to play are priceless gems for her. Winning NOW? Who cares? Dead last? Who cares?

I believe she treasures her apprenticeship, as well she should. It is a golden opportunity. She can worry about the unholy grail of WINNING, WINNING, WINNING, when she turns twenty-four.
12/08/06 @ 20:00
Ghet SurRheel,

Gotcha. Winning is unholy, therefore Bubbles is indeed holy.

Getting one's brains beat out creates a depth of knowledge, so Bubbles is really in deep.

And the best one, if all she cared about was winning, she'd find the easiest competition and win every time. Really. When did anything like that ever happen?

Ghet, we agree on one thing. You say that you don't care if she wins now or finishes dead last. I don't care either. Will you admit that you've lowered your expectations a tad?
12/09/06 @ 07:53
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Absolutely not. My position has remained constant. Michelle should look to the history of the game for her expectations. The truly legendary golfers had their first wins at about age 22 and began winning regularly at about age 24.

Anyone who wants to write her off at 17 is silly... ignores history... has the golfing equivalent of a cheerleader's knowledge of football.

I would let the trees in my neighbor's orchard mature before I started critiquing them.

12/09/06 @ 11:53
Ghet UnRheel,

You were really a lot of fun when you were on your"astroturf" and lawsuit kick. You know, the "how can you be so cruel as to find fault with a 16 year old child" fling. Then you starting trying to make sense. Unsuccessfully, but the effort was there. But now you've come back more inane than ever.

You've actually used the expression "depth of knowledge" when discussing Bubbles, the genius whose interviews are liberally sprinkled with "likes", "I mean's", and, of course, the ubiquitous "awesomes." The brain that likes to go shopping and who has a "sparkly watch."

Most gurus have difficulty predicting what will happen in any sport next season, but not super-seer Ghet. No, you are absolutely sure that Bubbles will be winning regularly on the LPGA tour and making cuts on the PGA tour in......SEVEN YEARS!

Tell me, Ghet old boy, what kind of surroundings will this surefire emergence of Bubbles have?

Will it be a gradual metamorphosis? Will she win one or two events a year from now until she is 22, then three in 2012, and finally sweep the LPGA majors in 2013? Or will she be like an exploding super nova, a "big bang" in the world of golf?

12/09/06 @ 12:46
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
You think Vardon Cup winner Chip Beck is an inept golfer and Michelle Wie is failure... guess I'm in pretty good company.

Did any one notice that Michelle Wie has been named as one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People. See Dave M's blog. Some failure that MW !
12/09/06 @ 14:56
Ghet SurRheel,

It took me a while, but I now have you pegged. You're either a woman or a male that wants to be a woman.

Only women or wannabe women have the irritating habit of answering questions with other questions.

And Ghet, never try your convoluted and irrational style in a debate. You'd lose worse than Bubbles does.
12/09/06 @ 15:43
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
You are a presumptuous fool. Why would anyone take your rantings seriously? The last thing on earth that I would wish for is meaningless validation from a pathetic old bigot like you.
12/09/06 @ 16:16
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Ghet, Have you given up on getting Bubbles' critics prosecuted? How about "astroturf?" Been to any sales lately? They've got purses on sale at Macy's.
12/09/06 @ 17:15
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Again, you are a presumptuous fool. Why would anyone take your rantings seriously? The last thing on earth that I would wish for is meaningless validation from a pathetic old bigot like you
12/09/06 @ 20:08
Ghet,

From your reaction, it seems that my presumption was accurate.
12/09/06 @ 22:05
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
You assume all your presumptions are correct. That's what presumptious fools do best.
12/10/06 @ 15:41
Ghet,

This is going nowhere.

See you on the next big one.
12/10/06 @ 17:29
Comment from: Booger [Visitor] Email
Hey Ghet Rheel, I'm the racist, sexist,
anti-semite, homophobe and pedophile
hater that lurks here....so leave Alex
alone, dammit!
12/11/06 @ 21:30
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
A warm embrace and a free pass for Alex from you too, eh?
12/12/06 @ 19:33
Comment from: Nigel Birmingham [Visitor] Email
Booger,

You neglected to mention that you are also a sister-loving, cross-bred and in-bred...
12/13/06 @ 14:30
Alex,

I think I can answer your question. Bubbles is learning that she can't compete with men. Or, at least she should be. It may take some time -- she is as dense as a rock.
12/13/06 @ 16:12
Judge Smails,

As they say down in West Virginia, if brains were dynamite, she wouldn't be able to blow her nose.
12/13/06 @ 17:24
Nigel Birmingham,

From your handle ,are we to believe you are anothe Brit?

And, are you in fact a "Brummie?"
12/13/06 @ 18:54
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Something tells me that Ghet harbors prejudice against racists and sexists.

I have to wonder if you're a latent bigot, Ghet. You know what you lefties say about men who rail against homosexuality too much . . . .

Perhaps it's the same principle.
12/13/06 @ 19:17
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
Hey Judge: You need to get a life!!!!!!!! You seem to be
obsessed with the hatred of a 17 yr.old child.

I realize there are plenty of racist and sexist individuals
in the world, give them a chance. You seem to think that
you have the exclusive right to hate this one child.

I'll also bet that you don't look half as good as Ernie Els.
12/16/06 @ 16:37
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Trust me, Jack, if my posterior looked like Ernie Els' face, I'd have it surgically altered.
12/16/06 @ 20:40
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
No Judge, that's the point, I don't trust you!!!!!!!
Furthermore ,I don't think you like yourself very
much, anyone who projects anger and hatred as you do,
cannot like themselves. My guess is women don't like
you either or maybe they don't like that angry little boy
inside you.

In any case, you need to concentrate on yourself, and
leave Michelle alone. She will be okay,the question is'
will you?
12/17/06 @ 13:22
Comment from: Booger [Visitor] Email
Is it biologically possible to be
cross-bred and in-bred at the same time,
or is the English pedophile referring to
traits that he presumes exist in me
from separate generations in my genetic
heritage?
12/17/06 @ 17:17
Booger,

No, it isn't possible.

I'm trying to figure out what precipitated such an irrelevant remark from our Limey friend.
12/17/06 @ 19:19
Comment from: Nigel Birmingham [Visitor] Email
Mucus,

Please realize that your father has a twine sister that he did not mind shagging, that's how you were conceived.
12/19/06 @ 14:29
Comment from: Baby Blue Eyes [Visitor] Email
For what it's worth...

Michelle Wie got accepted to Stanford...
12/19/06 @ 15:36
All the money-lovers out there will call me a romantic, but I think it's a shame that Michelle Wie will miss out on the college golf experience. It's always good for personal development to play on a team.
12/19/06 @ 15:43
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Yeah, and as if that weren't tragic enough, Michelle is also "DEPRIVED" of being Shank's daughter.

Something tells me MW will log plenty of time playing team golf.

Congratulations to Michelle on her acceptance to Stanford. Lots of opportunities for personal development at Stanford. Ya think?

12/20/06 @ 09:18
Hahaha .... pretty good one, Go-ghetter.

Here are 2 comments about your suppositions. First, I presume you are talking about MW competing in future Solheim Cups. That one week get-together in no way compares to a full season of college golf. (Remember senior Notah Begay giving freshman Tiger Woods the nickname Urkel?) Don't discount the experience. And second, should MW actually matriculate for the full 4 years, it will be a bastardized experience with her celebrity status, frequent absences to play tournaments and the isolation required to also keep her game as sharp as possible. I wish her the best but her time there will be nothing close to normal, even for a BWOC.
12/20/06 @ 09:39
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Well, IF there IS a dark side to a 17 year-old being accepted into one of the world's elite universities, you've conjured it up for us. There is more to college life than team sports. 99% of college students manage to wrest something meaningful from their days on campus without the help of the NCAA.

I played sports at the college level, happy I did so. But, to be honest, I think I got more out of the high school experience as to cameraderie, etc. College sports have become big-business.

Stanford is a great choice for Michelle. Something tells me she will find much to love there (in spite of your gloomy predictions). Shanks, have you had your coffee yet? Lighten up, Bud. Stanford is better than a poke in the eye with a rusty fork - honest !
12/20/06 @ 10:18
Huh, what ... did you say something?

I'm not saying that Stanford will be bad for her. What I'm saying is that it's a shame it won't be the real deal. Think Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Annika Sorenstam & Lorena Ochoa (to name a few) don't consider their experience invaluable?
12/20/06 @ 10:31
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Perhaps, but there is nothing constructive about your criticism. She IS an international star. THAT is her reality. She will not be playing team golf for Stanford. That ship has sailed.

Stanford will be the real deal for MW... her real deal. Something tells me she will find the right friends and mentors to have a first-rate experience of her own (perhaps not the one you or others would choose for her).

"If Michelle were your daughter"... what hubris.

12/20/06 @ 11:01
Well, you're right about that much, it IS her reality, for better or worse. She is definitely an international star now. But I wonder, at what cost?
12/20/06 @ 11:32
Comment from: Baby Blue Eyes [Visitor] Email
Quote Shanks **...will call me a romantic, but I think it's a shame that Michelle Wie will miss out on the college golf experience** End Quote

Shanks,

Wie also misses out on working at McDonald for minimum wage...

Geth Rheal,

You have to stop smoking whatever it is that you are smoking...
12/20/06 @ 17:20
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Well, perhaps Bubbles can petition the NCAA to reinstate her amateur status. After all, others have done it, and whatever Bubbles wants, Bubbles gets, it seems. Hey, she already has her plum contract.
12/20/06 @ 18:15
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
It appears that a cash strapped Michelle may have to work her way thru college.

I wonder if she could gather a small stipend to augment her allowance from being an assistant coach for the Stanford golf team?

12/24/06 @ 19:03
Good idea, 1-putt. Kinda like Leadbetter by proxy.
12/27/06 @ 07:14
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
Hey there Judge, I see you're still hating that child.
You know , the one you call "bubbles".

I've got an idea, why don't you petition the NCAA?
or even better, you can wait until next year and get
to hate an adult.......At this point your obssesion
makes you seem like a pedophile.
12/28/06 @ 16:41
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Oh, so Bubbles is a child now. Well, I don't know, she can drive and is of the age of consent. As for the last thing, it ought to please you immensely. After all, it is you who seems to to be in love with the Bubbles.
12/28/06 @ 17:05
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
You are correct Judge, I love and admire that child you call "Bubbles". She'll go on to become a fine young women and a wonderful golfer and you... you'll go on hating and bitchin about Bubbles this and Bubbles that, she'll grow more famous and you'll become more infamous and blah,blah,blah.

I think you get the point!!!!!!!!!
12/30/06 @ 16:23
Jack,

The "blah, blah, blah" made more sense than most anything you've said. And, hey, in this day and age, if I become infamous enough I'll be a wealthy man.
12/31/06 @ 00:13
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
Now Judge, you know that's out of the realm of possibility. In order for that to happen, you would have to have the ability to concentrate, to set goals, to move on, to focus towards that end.
I can't see you getting paid for hating Michelle Wie.
Can You????????
12/31/06 @ 16:03
Comment from: Nigel Birmingham [Visitor] Email
Jack,

Not any more than you'll get paid for fawning over her.
01/01/07 @ 03:52
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
Way to go Nigel.......That was brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What do we have here, hate for one million,fawning for one million. I'll take fawning, thank you.

You're gonna be some poet when you grow up Nigel.
01/01/07 @ 11:53
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
I'll take reality for one million, Jack.
01/01/07 @ 16:34
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
You Judge, reality..................OK.
01/01/07 @ 17:28
"Comment from: Shanks [Member] · http://www.travelgolf.com/blogs/shanks
Good idea, 1-putt. Kinda like Leadbetter by proxy."

Side note Shanks:

As a PGA Club Professional other avenues would be open for her to land a spot in the field at a PGA Major.
01/04/07 @ 14:21
Not really. She'd have to be a card-carrying member of the PGA.
01/04/07 @ 14:24
Jack,

Reality is my business. By the way, how's Jill?
01/05/07 @ 09:58
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
Aw Shucks Judge, quit it with your playful banter!!!
Everything about you just screams of reality.....
I was just mentioning that fact to Jill.
01/05/07 @ 15:07
"Comment from: Shanks [Member] · http://www.travelgolf.com/blogs/shanks
Not really. She'd have to be a card-carrying member of the PGA."

Well Shanks if you agree with me that the PGA Championship is the fifth "Major" another avenue does exist:

The 20 low scorers in The 2007 PGA Professional National Championship
01/06/07 @ 01:47
Jack,

I'll go easy on you since I know that you've broken your crown.
01/06/07 @ 13:42
Comment from: Curtis [Visitor] Email
Judge,

What did you ever do to Jack? He's beating on you like a rented mile.
01/07/07 @ 15:21
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor] Email
01/08/07 @ 07:42
"Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
1-putt, she'd first have to join the PGA. Then she'd have to be employed at a golf course."

The best entertainment feature of attending Stanford is their golf course. I wonder how much fundraising they could accomplish setting up rounds with Michelle when she pratices?
01/09/07 @ 03:53
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor] Email
Not a bad idea. But assuming she will be a committed student as well as professional golfer, I doubt there would be much time for thoe Stanford pro-ams. In fact, I'd bet her people would want the lion's share of the revenue.
01/09/07 @ 07:29

This post has 3 feedbacks awaiting moderation...