« Gambling and Predictions on the (British) Open ChampionshipAnatomy of a Golfing Road Trip »

Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
Nairn and Dornoch are the same price - and i'd rather play Dornoch twice each once, personally...Didn't make it to Cruden Bay, which I still lose sleep over!
07/13/07 @ 11:15
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
"than" each once, i mean :-)
07/13/07 @ 11:20
As my plan now stands, we'll likely be playing Nairn as a mid-route break on the travel day between Dornoch and Cruden Bay, which will be our probable two "bases". Also planning to play Royal Aberdeen and Brora. The rest is still up in the air.
07/13/07 @ 11:51
See, if Shanks were a chap, he'd invite Brandon along. Have either of you played Arcadia Bluffs or the links course at Bay Harbor? Those two rate up with Straits, Irish, and all three Bandon Courses on my list. My Scottish holes are limited to Old and New at St. Andrews.
07/14/07 @ 08:46
Maybe I should go with B-Tuck! He wouldn't want to play with my crew - not very often anyway. I'm the youngest one at 51, so my boys are usually only interested in 18/day. However, they do enjoy having tons of action on the game. They prefer a slower pace with plenty of time to mingle with the locals in the always interesting Scottish nightlife.

Have not played those 2 courses but have played many faux-links courses including those at Whistling Straits. The turf is way too soft so it's not even close to the real thing. Imagine having about 100 yds to a front pin with a 30 mph wind at your back on very undulating turf that's hard as thin carpet on a cement floor. Talk about feel shots!

You picked a great place to start as St. Andrews is a wonderful "auld toon". We enjoyed our 2 days there as we played both Old & New as well. I've not been up North yet, but we spent 4 days on the West coast in Gailes, which is near Troon. The highlight of that part of the trip was our round at Prestwick, site of the first 21 Opens. A very special course with much more variety than St. Andrews. Then we went for a week on the East coast, primarily in East Lothian, where we played the wonderful links of Gullane (#1 and #2), North Berwick (West & East) & Dunbar. All courses with incredible variety, character & beauty. I'd probably commit homicide if it would get me there right now. Well, ok, maybe not, but you know what I mean!!
07/15/07 @ 14:26
Comment from: Reagan [Visitor] Email
Did you see the second shot of Tiger on the 17th? 230 yards with a 5 iron, fantastic. If you want a course guide to Carnoustie I found one here - http://www.mulliganplus.com/_assets/_user/File/course_guides/Carnoustie%20Golf%20Links_15.pdf

Worth having a look at.
07/19/07 @ 10:14
Nope, didn't see it. But I heard about it!
07/19/07 @ 10:39

This post has 1 feedback awaiting moderation...

Dates: January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Play four rounds and enjoy six nights of lodging with a full Scottish breakfast. Golf rounds include the St. Andrews New, Crail, Kingbarns and Dukes Golf Club. Optional extras: Play an additional round at Carnoustie, Gleneagles, St. Andrews Bay Kittocks/Torrance, St. Andrews Links, Jubilee or Castle. Carr Golf Travel can make an application to the Ballot for a round at the Old Course on behalf of a minimum of two golfers.
Price range: £1225