« Steve Stricker and Lee Westwood Comebacks Should Give Heart to Ernie Els and OthersWalker Cup Telecast Translates to a Mere Glimpse of Magnificent Royal County Down »

Comment from: 2under [Visitor] Email
FedEx a contrivance? Maybe. But I tell you what, it will draw a heck of a lot bigger crowd than the Solheim.

Solh...zzzzzzzzzzz......

(That's me taking a nap on the sofa.)

09/10/07 @ 18:13
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
Yeah, Shanks, I'm looking forward to the Solheim this year too. Historically we win over here, lose over there. But this year I think we have a chance--the team's looking awfully good.
09/10/07 @ 23:25
The FedEx Cup has given the USA a new American to count on in the Prez Cup...none other than Steve Stricker. I like this guy as a teammate for just about anybody on the USA side.
09/11/07 @ 00:05
Let's just say that my man 2under is predisposed to dislike women's golf. Only problem I have with the Solheim Cup is the time zone issue. I live on the East Coast of the US, so Saturday's coverage ends at noon and Sunday's at 10am. That means I'll have to re-arrange my day to watch tv in the morning and play golf in the afternoon. There is nothing like the theater of team competition - unless it's a blowout borefest like last year's Ryder Cup.
09/11/07 @ 07:35
Comment from: 2under [Visitor] Email
Shanks,

"Predisposed"? No. I do believe it is much less entertaining than men's golf, and I believe we have covered that ground sufficiently before.

Where I take issue with your statements is that you create a comparison of the relative drama of the FedEx/Fall Series and the Solheim. Whether you truly think it is a "contrivance" or not, it is still a much more engaging product than the Solh...zzzzzzzzzzz.

With such an outrageous statment, it makes me wonder what the motivation is to pander to the LPGA. Is there some sort of kickback that TravelGolf receives or something?

09/11/07 @ 08:29
Well, since you insist, I'll be a little more clear. You hate the LPGA. Better?

I'm sorry if you cannot appreciate the inherent drama of team competition events. My very personal preference is for team competitions such as Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, Solheim Cup & Walker Cup over any other type of tournament. But that's just me.
09/11/07 @ 08:43
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
Ah, ignore him, Shanks. He finds women's golf a bore, yet he seeks out ways to comment about it. Whatever.

I like team competition too, but most especially I like the concept of the US vs. anyone. You have a built-in reason to back the team.

Last Solheim Cup we had some questionable captain's picks. What do you think about this year's team?

09/11/07 @ 11:15
Jen, I think the US team is loaded. They are also the clear betting favorite. But I'm not so sure only because of the youth and inexperience of the Americans. The value of a partison crowd cannot be underestimated. It is for that reason that I was mildly surprised that US Captain King chose rookie Nicole Castrale over veteran Christina Kim. Castrale has slowed down of late while Kim is hotter 'n a firecracker. The other pick was a recently in-form veteran Laura Diaz. I agreed with that pick.
09/11/07 @ 11:46
Comment from: 2under [Visitor] Email
Shanks,

No. I don't "hate" it. It just isn't nearly as exciting as the PGA. And to compare the Solheim to the FedEx is only baiting a retort.

Not only that, I enjoy team competition, particularly the Ryder Cup. But let's not go as far as to compare the Solheim to the Ryder Cup, the President's Cup, or even the Walker Cup, for that matter.

And Jen, I find you and your golf "commentary" a bore, too.

Whatever.
09/11/07 @ 20:44
Oh, I fully understand your position, 2under. For example, you would never find the BCS championship game "nearly as exciting" as the Super Bowl because the skill level is not the absolute highest. Whereas I am able to make the allowance for the difference and enjoy them equally.
09/12/07 @ 09:46
Comment from: 2under [Visitor] Email
Actually...no.

If the Super Bowl is the Seahawks vs Bengals, it wouldn't garner much of my attention. If the BCS included my alma mater, naturally I would be interested.

But I will throw you a bone. The LPGA is much more exciting than the WNBA.

09/14/07 @ 18:47
Comment from: George [Visitor]
Congrats to the USA for a Solheim Cup victory! The young guns like Paula Creamer and Natalie Gulbis proved 2005 was no fluke, and Morgan Pressel won a tough match against Sorenstam.

And kudos to the Wie Warriors for blowing yet another prediction about Michelle. After Paula Creamer led her team to victory in 2005 with a blowout of Laura Davies, Coulthard sour-graped that the U.S. COULD NOT WIN ON THE ROAD without Michelle Wie.

turns out another crazed Wie Warrior prediction went down in flames.

The American team is getting deeper in talent, is clearly better than its European opponents.

Great going USA, the women of this country did a superb job of defense on the road.

The young cubs on the LPGA, such as Morgan, Paula, Natalie & Brittany look to have a bright future, and they're already kicking behind and taking no prisoners.

-George
09/17/07 @ 10:09
It was hard to believe that the Euro team got crushed in singles. Sorenstam, Gustafson and Petterson all losing Sunday was totally unexpected. Creamer continued her excellent play and Stacy Prammanasudh was strong, but the biggest surprise of all was the terrific performance of Nicole Castrale. She had a lot of pressure on her from being a captain's pick (ahead of hot Christina Kim) and not playing particularly well of late. The confidence boost from this event should propel her to play very well this year and next.

But the strongest performance of the week goes to the huge Swedish galleries. Not only were they a model of partial but good sportsmanship, they endured the worst weather imaginable to do so. Even more amazing, about 1/4 of them rode their bicycles to the course in that poor weather. Bravo!
09/17/07 @ 11:41

This post has 1 feedback awaiting moderation...