« No More Aquaman, Please2008 Fantasy Golf Draft has Shanks Looking Good »

Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
Yep.
12/27/07 @ 22:58
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
Shanks, this is off topic but ...
I have wondered for a long time why some players make millions playing golf while others seemingly equal in ability don't make it. I have watched a number of really big winners on the PGA Tour like Fuzzy Zoeller, Calvin Peete, Nolan Henke, and Lee Janzen close up when they were at the top of their games and none of them looked like anything special. I have concluded the key is being able to play your best when it really matters. There comes a time in each players life where what he does the next round, next 9, or even next hole is a career changer. The millionaires are the guys that don't blow it.
12/27/07 @ 23:42
I wouldn't put Henke in the same class as those other three, but you are correct in your assessment. The answer is "handling pressure". There are many great swings and all-world short games when it's for fun. The latest example I saw was Tommy 2-Gloves Gainey on the back nine of the final round of Q-school. He played flawlessly for 5.5 rounds and started making bogies. Couldn't stop making them. Shot something like 42 and survived by a mere 2 shots. I hope you read Feinstein's book on Q-school because he talks about this very same thing. Under the ultimate pressure, many of these guys come unglued. And it's a shame because they all have enormous talent.
12/28/07 @ 07:48
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor] Email
Jack never grounded his putter for this very reason: He'd not be addressing his ball until he began his backswing. So there was less
time/opportunity for the wind/contours to move the ball. In windy conditions, it's a great strategy.
12/28/07 @ 09:38
I don't think that Jack grounded any club, ever. Damned fine point, Shanks. Something I would not have considered in a million years. Oliver, are you serious? Why they don't is easy; it's how they don't that's the difficult question. I agree on Henke...he was damned good but lost is. I remember Tracy Phillips, Tommy Moore, Billy Andrade and Sam Randolph as some of the finest junior players in the early 80s. Add Tim Straub and EJ Pfister to the mix, and none of them save Andrade made a dent in the tour. Moore died young, as I recall.
12/28/07 @ 21:42
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Shanks - spike marks are a particular niggle with me. As one can't repair them, how about banning metal spikes altogether - although I have no idea what percentage of the pros wear them?
12/29/07 @ 11:52
As much as the pros whine about spike marks - and I do understand that gripe - I am shocked that they can't agree to ban metal. Last I heard, the majority of them wear soft spikes already.
12/31/07 @ 10:53
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Although the only two courses I play regularly are coastal/windswept all year round, the greens cannot be described as lightning fast by any means - I believe the greens on US courses are far more so. I don't ground my club before putting, however, as on more than one occasion, much to my chagrin and embarrassment, I have actually TOUCHED the ball when having a last look at the hole. There were some interesting interviews on the PGA Tour website where several top players were asked which rule of golf they would change and why, but unfortunately I didn't make a note of them. Just as (predictably) I remember Sabbatini naming slow play, I'm sure a couple of them also named being able to repair spike marks, so they must all know who still wears metal spikes.
12/31/07 @ 15:01
The last great metal spikes controversy was at the 2005 Masters where Vijay Singh, playing immediately behind Phil Mickelson, accused him of wearing extra long spikes and tearing up the greens.

Another reason why Jack Nicklaus didn't ground his putter was that it made his stroke a little smoother. If you ground the putter you are not able to return it to the same position as address.
01/02/08 @ 07:32
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Those two names had come to mind, but I couldn't remember quite why. I came across an article which said Phil had thought about wearing extra long metal spikes for his match against Vijay in The President's Cup but couldn't find any in time! Maybe it's something about the way Phil lumbers rather than walks which does the most damage?

PS Will reading Feinstein's book help me not to blow it on the 18th?
01/03/08 @ 11:04
Can't say for sure, but it likely won't hurt you on the 18th.
01/03/08 @ 11:24
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
You're spooky! I know it wasn't on the green, but Verplank swears he had not addressed his ball when it moved in the 30mph winds (and I believe him). Still got a penalty though - how can that be? Did you see it? I'll try & watch a replay/explanation as I'm damned if I'm going to penalise myself if the ball moves when I'm just looking at it. This game is tough enough without that.
01/04/08 @ 09:32
Yes, I saw the telecast. But there is no video of the incident. What a dumb rule.
01/04/08 @ 09:35
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Also - the men should be allowed to wear shorts. TW would be immaculate of course, but I have my reservations about some others. The choice of socks would be very revealing. Tells you (nearly) everything you need to know about a man.
01/07/08 @ 12:41
We really don't need to see Calcavecchia or Montgomerie in shorts. Think of all the evening meals that would be spoiled.
01/08/08 @ 10:44
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Yes, I did have them in mind when it came to reservations, but when I think of how tolerant I am re all the comments on the physical appearances of the female golfers (admittedly not from you), I thought you could indulge me with a few legs other than Steve Williams'.
01/10/08 @ 15:02
I suppose we could leave it up to the individual golfers to use discretion. But it'll never happen. The long pants are part of their uniform.
01/11/08 @ 07:31
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Just finished reading "Tales From Q School". It makes one want to thank God for NOT having enough talent to even consider being a professional golfer! I don't think Sky TV had Nationwide/Q School coverage so I didn't start following it until last year on Setanta. I was therefore absolutely dumbstruck at how many names, famous and not quite so famous, that I actually recognised, and did not realise that was where they were plying their trade. Their lack of bitterness was also striking. Thanks for the recommendation.
01/23/08 @ 09:02
Glad you enjoyed. The most amazing story in the book is that of Steve Stricker. He comes out of that 2005 Q-school without his Tour card and now is the world's number three.
01/23/08 @ 09:16
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
I don't care whether TW et al are playing! I now find myself doing the "mother hen" act with JB Holmes and others mentioned in Tales. Didn't know whether to thank you or shake my fist at you until after the playoff.
02/04/08 @ 11:44
Well then, Mother, I suppose you enjoyed that play-off! I know what you mean. Last year when Steve Stricker won the first Fed Ex Cup tournament, he got very emotional when recalling his journey of the previous 2 years. It was a special moment.
02/05/08 @ 07:49
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Shanks - hope you're having a wonderful holiday in Las Vegas, and look forward to hearing about it.

With the DQ of Cink, this means that if you take a stance in a bunker with ball o/s it on the very first hole, do not go into another bunker for that entire round or you will be deemed to have "tested" a similar hazard, and incur a 2-stroke penalty. Would it have been OK for Goydos' caddy to have raked the bunker instead of Stewart or his caddy? Or was simply taking a stance in it testing it? Was the interpretation of the rule under these circumstances "reasonable" (as opposed to fair)? Honestly cannot remember if I have ever done this (not that I go into a lot of bunkers of course), but if I have I am sure I never knew of this rule at the time.
03/30/08 @ 14:37
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor] Email
I did not see any of this as I was occupied in my gambling & golfing endeavors at the time.
04/02/08 @ 12:26
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Good for you! Shouldn't it have been "golfing & gambling", however?
Oh, it was Las Vegas, of course.

Think you have already made your position clear on Kiel's blog.
04/02/08 @ 14:12

This post has 1 feedback awaiting moderation...