« Where in the World is Shanks Golfing? Las Vegas, Baby!US Golf Association deserves Major kudos - Chambers Bay for 2015 Open »

Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
Yes, it will be an interesting year on the LPGA tour. But will anyone get excited about it, no. The reason is it is impossible to sell anything in professional sports that is not the best. Minor league baseball, WNBA, or even the Nationwide or Champion's tour. Casual fans just aren't interested. Also, Annika and Michelle Wie hurt the LPGA by playing in men's events boldly underlining the difference in skill level. Before that some actually thought everybody was equal and these women were playing for nothing on the LPGA Tour because they didn't want to show up Tiger Woods.
02/11/08 @ 22:13
I disagree. Will the LPGA ever rival the PGA Tour - no. But it does sell, even tho at a lower level, as does the Champions Tour. As I've said in other discussion strings, college football & basketball are the best example of lower skill levels selling. They are not even close to the best in the game.
02/12/08 @ 08:15
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
Note I said professional sports. College sports are popular for reasons other than skill level.
02/12/08 @ 12:44
As are women's pro golf and senior pro golf. (I did notice.)
02/12/08 @ 13:00
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
Will Michelle make the cut at the Fields?
02/13/08 @ 09:22
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
Shanks, good post. Especially nice? Not mentioning MW as 'one of the stories to watch'. Possibly the only folks interested in her now are the Nike ghouls.

Oliver, what rock did you crawl out from under? I live in FL and consider myself fortunate to be able to see BOTH PGA and LPGA tournaments within 20 miles of my home. And I've yet to see a poorly-run LPGA event...with the exception of offering MW exemptions, that is.
02/14/08 @ 14:50
Wie will always command plenty of attention because of her notoriety, if nothing else. I won't even think about addressing the situation until she posts some results. There are plenty of other great stories out there.
02/14/08 @ 15:11
Comment from: Billy Dawg [Visitor] Email
Poor (cuter than a speckled pup) Erica Blasberg. She'll be run over by the Annika Express in the final round. Looks like AS wants to get that number one ranking back in the worst way.
02/16/08 @ 08:40
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
Yesterday was a good start for the LPGA. The most interesting thing was the 2 stroke penalty given to Angela Park on the 10th hole for slow play when she was either tied for the lead or 1 back. While I feel sorry for Angela I applaud the LPGA for cracking down hard on slow play. This problem can be fixed and this is the way to do it, PGA Tour please take note. Was it fair ? She said no of course and I have no idea. Apparently they were on the clock and she took too long to play 3 consecutive shots. As long as they have a criteria and apply it uniformly I think it's fair. But if Annika or Lorena violate the criteria they damn well better give them 2 too. Congrats to Annika.
02/17/08 @ 10:03
Interesting start. Sorenstam could not have hoped for better.
02/20/08 @ 11:34