« PGA Championship Ends Automatic Qualifying for the 2008 U.S. Ryder Cup TeamAberdeen CC in Myrtle Beach is the Little Course That Could »

And with what would you associate the USGA Open? Which courses would you exclude from consideration from its rotation? What chopped-up reasoning and (il)logic would you apply? I'm on the opposite side of the train tracks on this one.
07/29/08 @ 05:09
Comment from: Marcus Ferguson Jones [Visitor] Email
Sorry, but there is little in this article I can agree with.

Historically the tournament has been hosted on inland courses rather than links (it's been at Woburn, Wentworth, Foxhills etc). It is only comparatively recently that links

The comment that the British Open should be played on a links bears more reference to the Mens game than the Ladies. If, that comparison is important to you, let me remind you the gulf between the games in terms of sponsorship. Position one on the Mens' European tour has banked over €1.7m whereas the leader on the Ladies Tour has less than 400k. the inequities are even more apparent as you run further down the list. If and if, the choice of Sunningdale does have something to do with money, could you begrudge the womens game this?

I'm sure Sunningdale will host a great championship as it's an excellent venue.
07/29/08 @ 05:27
RonMonster, I would associate extreme course set-up with the USGA championships.

Marcus, I agree that Sunningdale will host an excellent tournament. It's a great venue. But the single thing that sets the Open Championship apart from the other Majors in the men's game is that it is contested on true links. Had the men taken their Open inland 50+ years ago, the Open would probably not be a major anymore. Hogan & especially Palmer would not have made the then arduous trek. It's just my opinion that the ladies should follow suit.
07/29/08 @ 07:34
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
Aren't you being swayed by your personal preference for links golf, Shanks?

Whilst it may be true that most fans would be prepared to make quite a trek to watch The Open, I don't think that's equally true for the Ladies British Open. It therefore seems commonsense to me to select venues based upon drawing the biggest crowd, with relative ease of access and perhaps other nearby attractions, particularly for overseas visitors and/or non golf-playing partners being important criteria.

As long as they are magnificent courses, I am happy to have an inland tournament. Of course, I may be prejudiced as the venues so far, including Sunningdale, are within easy reach for me!! Unlike your suggestions.
07/29/08 @ 10:32
I can agree with that. If I did not have such an affinity for links golf, I probably would not feel so strongly. But I do, and I do!!
07/29/08 @ 11:16
Comment from: Dave [Visitor] Email
I totally agree with Shanks here. People in objection, e.g. Marcus, are not thinking about this properly.

Consider this. The Women's British Open was in 2001 officially recognised as a major championship; before then, it was just another tournament. The national championship of the UK, yes, but not greatly important. Pre-2001, it was played over a wide variety of venues, Marcus is correct in this respect.

Since 2001 is has been played over links courses (except when it has been played over Sunningdale). Taking it back to inland courses would just make it 'any other tournament'; that it is played on a links course is the thing that makes it special.

07/30/08 @ 14:31
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
I agree with Shanks. The US golfing fan won't have much interest in an Open Championship not on a links because it doesn't coincide with the brand we're used to on the men's side.

Though the UK golf fan is a fanatic bunch and will watch good golf wherever it's played.
07/30/08 @ 23:53
Seriously, playing on real links is the only way to raise the level of importance of this particular event. Otherwise, it's just as silly as the Seniors, er ah, Champions Tour deciding to have 5 "majors". You just don't point and say "this is a major". There really should be a reason.
07/31/08 @ 08:23
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
Shanks - just heard Peter Alliss announce that the Men's Senior is to be held inland next year for the first time in 20 years - guess where? Sunningdale. That should get your blood pressure up!!
07/31/08 @ 09:37
I had heard that mentioned during the coverage last week on ABC. Unbelievable, but in line with my 5 majors comment above.
07/31/08 @ 10:02
Comment from: Dave [Visitor] Email
Although I totally agree with you Shanks (I am British), the decision to hold the Women's British Open at Sunningdale doesn't truly susprise me. After all, it is not ran by the R&A.

However, the idea of holding the Senior Open Championship (which IS ran by the R&A) at Sunningdale DOES surprise me. A lot.

I think it's bloody appalling actually.
07/31/08 @ 14:12