« TravelGolf's Tee Time Girl exposedPGA Tour hates Kenny Perry winning PGA Colonial »

Comment from: Erik J. Barzeski [Visitor]
Wow, such insight. That's sarcasm, of course...
05/24/05 @ 08:41
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
Tim, I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree. Among many of the improvements offered by golf club manufacturers are graphite shafts and perimeter-weighted irons. There's no question these clubs are easier to hit than old-fashioned blades. I know because I've tried.

And the improvements in women's clubs, well, there's just no comparison between what used to be available to what's available now.

That's not to say you're wrong about "most of us still stink at the game." That much I'll concede. But now even when we stink, we can still post rounds of 100 or better, whereas ten years ago, we'd probably just slink off the course in shame. Maybe that explains your statistic of average rounds still floating around 100. Because in the persimmon days, posting your actual score would be too embarrassing.
05/25/05 @ 11:02
Comment from: Ed Weatherby [Visitor]
Tim,

Spot on correct BUT...for the wrong reason.

The OEM club companies are only concerned with profits not equipment that will help the golfer improve their game.

Case in point, the average length of driver on the PGA tour is 44.5 in which is 1/2 in shorter than those golfers that shoot 100 day in and day out.

Tiger Woods has a 130 mph swing with a 43.5 in driver, Sooooo what makes YOU think you can hit that longer club?

You can't but in their frenzy for "My Club is longer than Yours" marketing they forget about the REAL person using the club.
05/25/05 @ 12:20
Comment from: dr mac [Visitor]
New callaway woods added 15-20yds to
my tee shots.
Of course if you can't hit them straight maybe you would be better
off investing in lessons.
05/25/05 @ 13:10
Comment from: Glen Erickson [Visitor]
Consider this, in terms of what these fancy new drivers are really worth.

The average player, let's call him "Johnny Spank", coughs up his $500 for a driver he has no clue how to use. (His perception is the retailer has just made a ton of money.) After a few rounds and some trips to the driving range, he appears back at the retail store he bought the club from. His poor golf swing has resulted in a couple of dents on the top of the clubhead.

The idiot retailer or golf pro sends the club back to the manufacturer, supposedly for review as a "warranty" issue. The manufacturer replaces the club free of charge.

My questions are...

If the manufacturer can afford to do this, what does the golf club really cost them to produce?

Why has "warranty" become nothing more than a 2-for-one sale?
05/26/05 @ 10:09
Comment from: John Slater [Visitor]
10 years ago I was invited to golf outings for "the giggle factor". My swing was something Charles Barkley could laugh at, and my scoring average was well above the nation's. My handicap just dropped to 16.7, and I get complimented by strangers at the range on my swing. I am using the same off-brand clubs I started with. What made the difference? Lessons.

This past weekend I purchased a whole new set of name-brand irons, woods and wedges. Do I expect my handicap to instantly drop to 6.7? No, in fact it may rise as I get used to the clubs.

I see that knucklehead Baldwin still has his head buried in the sand on this issue (but appears to be poking at least one eye out of the bunker, http://www.travelgolf.com/blogs/chris.baldwin/2005/05/20/no_lesson_yet_sure_but). I always enjoy beating status-obsessed doofi who have a $2500 bag of sticks, and pump ProV1s into the woods by the gross.

I am not a pro, or gain any compensation by having others take lessons. Just a true believer in having a qualified individual see just what the heck happens to my backswing when it leaves my field of vision.
05/26/05 @ 11:10
Comment from: Jason Woodmansee [Visitor]
Actually, I think you are correct -- Callaway, Titleist and Ping SHOULD stop bragging. I am glad that you did not include TaylorMade in that list of companies doing "nothing for golfers."

I am going to assume that it is because you recognize TaylorMade bringing the metalwood to market in 1979 has made a huge difference...
05/26/05 @ 17:22
Comment from: Scott Spears [Visitor]
The biggest problem with the statistics provided int the NYT article is that it seems to only focus on scores submitted for handicaping purposes, not all scores obtainable. Only a fraction of the whole golfing population actually keeps a handicap as it is. How "representative" is this population?

To balance the argument a bit, new gear does make it easier to get the ball going. It also makes it easier to get it going into trouble. I used a 400cc driver that looked like a sledge hammer for a while, but could never really get any of the "benifits" from it. Since I use small-headed blades anyway, I decided to go retro and pick up an older TM driver (360cc). This I actually enjoy hitting.
05/27/05 @ 10:09
Comment from: dave g [Visitor]
A good craftsman never blames his tools.
05/27/05 @ 11:08
Comment from: E Morrison [Visitor]
If you have a grooved swing that is good all the time. You may see benefits from some of the new equipment. Lessons would benefit the average golfer much better.
05/29/05 @ 17:43
Comment from: Richard [Visitor]
Some of the best golf I ever played was in my 20's using a brand new set of woods, irons and bag I bought at k-mart for $99. Since then, improvements in my game have all resulted from practice and improved mental discipline - not new golf club technologies. The latest golf club technologies won't ever fix a lack of touch or remove doubts from entering your pre-shot routine.
05/31/05 @ 14:13

Dates: January 1, 2014 - December 20, 2014
Play three rounds at two of the best courses in Hawaii for one great price. The package includes one 18-hole round at Mauna Kea Golf Course and two 18-hole rounds at Hapuna Golf Course, starting from $375 per person.