« Message from Sports Illustrated's Frank Deford on Michelle Wie worth notingA non-fan of Jack Nickalus gives grudging respect at his last day at British Open and Old Course »

Comment from: Craig [Visitor]
Call me weird, but I enjoy it when an athlete comes along that can so dominate his/her given sport that the real competition becomes second place. To see such incredible mastery for me is a glimpse of something above ourselves.

This British Open seemed also to be the passing of the mantle, so to speak, of the great golfers. Jack Nicklaus bows out and Tiger Woods surges forward. Two very classy champions for a gentlemen's sport.
07/18/05 @ 15:18
Comment from: Rob [Visitor]
Real shame he won our Open and more disappointing none of his closest challengers went low on a Sunday .
As comparing him with Jack he is way short . As Tom and many others said Jack was not just a great player but a great sportmen who treated victory and defeat the same . Tiger is very contrived and remember its very easy to act out the niceities when you know your the best . Remind me - what was he like before he made it ? Arrogant , conceited and at times not very sporting to his competitors . As a Brit we will welcome Jack any time but as someone who was there i have never heard such a muted response to a winner of our Open . That spoke volumes .
07/18/05 @ 20:20
Comment from: Greg Pinelli [Visitor]
OK Craig...I'll call you weird. Woods is certainly a dominating (domineering?) player...but his gutless playing of 18 on Sunday...the easiest, exceptionally long par 3 on the Old Course, left a lot to be desired. He has half the courage of Palmer and less than that of the understanding of Nicklaus. And then he spoke.... volumes about himself...a trophy speech that reminded what Tiger is all about...himself. He has been the center of such a small minded universe for so long he simply doesn't understand what it means to be part of a legacy rather than the shining light of one.
07/18/05 @ 21:13
Comment from: Mark [Visitor]
I think that Tiger tends to overreact, he is forever freaking out about people taking photos and when he hits a 190m 5 iron with a slight draw he sulks because he was looking for a fade... no wonder we don't enjoy it when he wins a major, because he is always acting like the world owes him something. I prefer human players like els, daly. Mark / www.golfblog.co.za
07/19/05 @ 11:12
Comment from: Ivory [Visitor]
I'm in total agreement with you, Craig. But, it seems that Rob, Greg, and Mark have been watching a different golfer playing different tournaments than a majority of golf fans and reporters. Tiger has amassed more wins, majors, career grand-slam majors, and a better overall scoring average than any golfer at the same point and age in their career. Rob, Greg, and Mark are not holding Tiger to any type of higher standard, they are disgusted that he is included and succeeding at all. I wonder what are their social agendas.
07/19/05 @ 12:43
In 1925, I predicted that Bobby Jones would first invent the grand slam, then set the record for most wins, and finally ice the cake by winning all four in one year. In 1946, estimated that Ben Hogan would get popped by a bus, then return on weakened legs to win four majors, tying Jones and Anderson. In 1964, I foretold that Jack Nicklaus would lose weight, grow sideburns, and win tons of major championships. So, in 2005, with ten majors behind him (16 if you count amateur USGA championships), I predict that Tiger Woods will continue to divide golf fans, smile and answer the questions he wants to answer, kiss his wife, and make money. And if it matters, will continue to swear on t.v. and win major championships. His personality will differ from Phil's, Ernie's, and Vijay's in the same way that Bobby was less debonair than Walter, Hogan was less amicable than Slammin' Sammy, and Jack was less approachable than Arnie.

I wonder how old and condescending Rob and Greg are? I had no idea of my own legacy at age 30, even less of the one to which I purportedly belonged. Contrived? How banal a term, how uninspired, how envious. Remember when Payne Stewart held court on racial inequality/equality at Shoal Creek? Fuzzy Zoeller shut him up real quick, then explained that golfers, like all athletes, are not the best sources for stellar commentary on political and social issues.
07/20/05 @ 00:23
Comment from: KH [Visitor]
It's called the Open Championship you halfwit. Only the yanks call it the British open.
07/20/05 @ 09:15
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Hey KH, I AM a Yank, you shit-for-brains.

Only the British call it the Open because they're arrogant enough to assume everyone KNOWS it's the British Open.

Everybody else calls it the British Open. Note how we call ours, the U.S. Open? There's a reason for that.
07/20/05 @ 13:22
Comment from: Arnie [Visitor]
That's funny KH, I distinctly recall having heard Ernie Els refer to it at the British Open repeatedly in interviews. Last I heard he was South African, with a residence in London. Could it be that only Brit's call it "The Open Championship"?
07/20/05 @ 14:50
Comment from: rob sebeston [Visitor]
Ivory , Arnie and Ron let me explain further . For the record I am 39 with no social agenda and with respect Ron its not rocket science to say what a great player he is . We all know that but when Norman and Watson talk about the great Nicklaus they are not just confining the arguement to their golfing abilities . They are talking about the man , what he is really made of on the inside . Jack and Tom will always be revered over here for far more than their golf as they won with a sense of humility , sportmanship and sheer decency . Tiger Im afraid goes through the motions when it comes to these attributes . He is totally ego and money driven and by contrived (Ron ) i mean he knows how to "act" the part and "act " out the gracious champion but hes really thinking "get my jet ready im out of here with another fat cheque and one day the world will love me for being the greatest " . Its written all over him and that is where he will never be in the same bracket as the great Nicklaus . I hope that clarifies my point but well said anyway . Rob
07/21/05 @ 18:44
Comment from: rob sebeston [Visitor]
One other thing (Tim) lets not get sucked into this idea that he has revamped his swing to a superior level . That is just a frightner for his competitiors as clearly he played better when he won last time at St Andrews and who could forget the way he played at Pebble Beach . Its a myth that you have to keep changing to improve , just ask Faldo who did one change too many . I believe those that are not the worlds best need to change but once your no1 like Tiger was you should be saying now come and get me .Should anyone catch you then its time to change but the fact is if he had stayed with the swing that won at Pebble Beach we would all be switching off and his dominance would be far greater than it is now . In any case St Andrews is as tailor made as any course in the world can be for him and as someone who has played it is not a great test of golf ......more a test of how far you can hit it .
PS Would like that job your offering
07/21/05 @ 18:52
Comment from: Justin Bryant [Visitor]
KH - what say the next time a Brit wins the "British Open," we'll all call it "The Open." Until that day comes (and don't hold your breath) let us Yanks, who win it most years, call it whatever we please.
07/22/05 @ 12:56
Comment from: josh [Visitor]
I don't understand what the big deal is! I think we should all take a step back, relax, and enjoy watching one of golf's greatest players. Tiger is a magician on the course, and I could care less about his egotistical attitude. Not many people come along that can truly dominate a sport like tiger.
07/22/05 @ 14:18
Comment from: rob sebeston [Visitor]
Well Josh thats where i suppose we over here are different . Go to a school sports day over here and you will get my drift . That is its not all about winning but about doing your best and we applaud all those that do that . No kids crying because they been brainwashed to feel worthless because they came second just kids having fun . The states is too much all about winning which is why your society is so divided . Dont get me wrong i love the american people just feel they look up to "winners" too much and look down to "losers" (horrible expression ) far far too much . A little compassion would go far .
07/22/05 @ 17:29
Comment from: josh harlow [Visitor]
Rob, I realize that winning isn't everything, but it seems like people are bashing Tiger Woods for being the best in his sport. I think that is idiotic, and wrong. Did people bash Jordan when he was winning 6 NBA titles, hell no! Finishing second is nothing to be ashamed of either, but if I asked you who lost to the Boston Redsox, you probably wouldn't be able to answer right away. I totally agree with you about American society looking down on "losers", but as far as looking up to "winners" goes, I believe that the best of the best in sports, whether it be individual athletes, or teams give your everyday average people something to believe in and look up to. If there's something wrong with that, then why is any sport played at all.
07/23/05 @ 12:48
Comment from: marilyn [Visitor]
Tiger deserves the same amount of respect that all great golfers receive! Tiger is a great golfer and a great person just as great as Jack!!! I also never read any criticism of jack when he made that derogatory statemnt about blacks a few years ago!!! We minorities know where all this bogus criticism of tiger woods comes from!!!
07/24/05 @ 23:23
Comment from: Tigger [Visitor]
Tiger is the best golfer of his time and everyone knows it. He could be a jack ass. He could be a total nazi. It doesn't matter. He is praised for his ability to hit the golf ball into the cup with less strokes than everyone else on the planet. He deserves respect for his accomplishments. Whether you like him or not, he is still the best golfer in the world by far.

Btw, he changed his swing no just to get better, but to do less damage to his body. His old swing put a lot of pressure on his left knee. His new swing does not. This new swing will prolong his stay on top to allow him to win more majors. Simple as that.
07/25/05 @ 19:10
Comment from: Rob [Visitor]
Just a few things -
Josh - well said but i have to admit i havent a clue who Boston Redsox is/are! That one did make me laugh and only in America could you have a name like that !
I would love the good old U.S.A get a little less insular and follow world sports more . You could start with Football (soccer to your good selves) which is by far the worlds biggest . We like many other countries dont play half your sports but too many people take it as red that we all do or at least know much about them . Redsox ! Come on spill the beans and educate me ........My guess basketball !
Marilyn - No not a racist in the slightest although get fed up with people using it to there own advantage . First to say great golfer but sadly not a great person thats all !
Tigger (what a name ) - Yep good point but he is still not as good a player as he was 4 years ago when he destroyed the field at Pebble Beach . A more durable one though i agree
07/27/05 @ 05:20
Comment from: KH [Visitor]
Read the history of the tournament on the R&A website (amoungst others) But hey, why would i want to point you to the FACTS as you Americans seem to doctor them to suit yourselves. Ps Ernie plays on the US tour so has only picked up your bad habbits.
07/28/05 @ 15:51
Comment from: lisa [Visitor]
OK U WANT TO NOW WHY JORDAN NEVER HAD TO DEAL WITH WHAT TIGER HAS TO DEAL WITH.....TIGER IS PLAYING IN A WHITE SPORT....HE KNOWS THAT....IM SORRY BUT WHITE PPL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ITS LIKE TO BE A BALCK PERSON AND THE STRUGGLES YOU FACE. TIGER CANT BE THIS FRIENDLY EASY-GOING PERSON ALL THE TIME..U KNOW WHAT IM NOT GOING TO BOTHER EXPLAINING BCUZ U WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND....THIS ALL COMES DOWN TO FRIGGING RACE..I DONT CARE HOW U PLAY IT..IF TIGER WAS WHITE SOME U U PPL WOULD CARE....RACIST JERKS...I CAN ONLY LAUGH AT UR STUPIDITY OF HOW U RATIONALIZE UR SUPPOSED REASONS FOR SOME OF UR BELIEFS..I CAN ONLY PITY U...AND IN THE END SMILE KNOWING THAT UR OPINIONS AFFECT NOTHING
09/01/06 @ 20:29

Dates: January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Carlton Oaks may just be the perfect place for your next golf outing, getaway or special event in the San Diego area. Golfers will rejoice at Carlton Oaks, San Diego’s only Dye-designed championship course. Packages starting at $160 for 1 night stay and 2 rounds of golf.