Tiger Woods and Annika Sorenstam: Days of King and Queen numbered?
I know, I know, - predictions are like assholes and elbows: Everyone has them. But, I can’t help myself.
Ernie Els will be the main reason on the men’s tour. He’s the only that comes close to matching the kind of talent and moxie that Woods has, and it looks like he’s coming back nicely from his injury. Phil Michelson has the talent, but not the grit, Retief Goosen may, if he can get over his U.S. Open debacle, and Vijay Singh needs to spend more time on the putting green than the driving range. And there are a number of younger, extremely talented players ready for break-out years.
On the LPGA side, it’s just a matter of numbers. There are too many up-and-comers like Paula Creamer, Morgan Pressel and Michelle Wie not to make a difference. Once they learn how to win, Sorenstam’s victory count will go down. She’s still the best and may be for a while, but her days of total dominance will flicker this year.
I know it’s not exactly an earth-shaking prediction, but you heard it here.
|« Gulf Coast golf -- and golfers -- getting screwed||Beach Road Chicken - best restaurant in Jacksonville, FL »|
* Tiger Woods will probably win as many on the pga tour as this year, but it will be considered a less successful year, because he won't do so well in the majors. I predict 1 Major for him, and not so many high finishes like this year.
* Ernie Els will win 1 if not 2 majors.
* A European will win a major, for the first time in 7 seasons, and it will most likely be Padraig Harrington.
* Annika won't win 10 titles, but she will win 7+. She will win 2 majors again.
* Paula Creamer will win 3-4 titles but her Majors form will disappoint.
* Pressel will win 1 run of the mill tournament, and give interviews to magazines where she says MW isn't as good as her because she knows how to win on the lpga.
* Wie will contend in an lpga major on the back nine, but lose out in a close battle to Annika or a veteran.
* Wie will make the cut in a mens event.
* Colin Montgomerie will win in the USA for the first time in his career.
* Padraig Harrington will finish the year, ranked in the top 5.
* Greg Norman will play well and contend in a pga or epga tournament.
* Chris Baldwin will propose to Paula Creamer, but she will say "lets just be friends".
* Tiger will at least as much as last year including 2 majors. He ended the season strong and appears to be on a 2 or 3 year roll.
* I agree that Els will do well winning a major.
* Vijay will find his putting stroke mid season and win some non-majors
* Creamer will do about as well as last year and consider it a dissapointment.
* Annika will win 1 major and 5 or 6 smaller tournaments, but cut her schedule back a bit and lose some of her edge choosing to spend more time with her new boyfriend.
* Miyazato will win ROY and next year at this time we will be talking about the possible asian domination of the LPGA between Miyazato, Wie and the South Koreans.
* Wie will win a non major and make a cut on a men's tournament, probably overseas.
Michelle has now used her new Nike clubs in enough practice rounds to handle them well and get adjustments from Nike Golf. I predict she will not only make the cut in the Sony, she also will not finish in last place after weekend play is over.
Michelle will win the Weetabix and one US LPGA tour event, possibly the Kraft after they decide it makes good business sense to invite her.
Look for Sergio Garcia and Luke Donald to rise up on the PGA tour list this year and finish high in the Majors.
If Michelle won the Weebabix, and the Kraft, that would be 2 majors, which is very optimistic, but I doubt it will happen.
Just one round though.
If she hits a 69 and a 70 it should be enough.
Comments are closed for this post.