« Memories of Daytona 500: PGA Tour pros don't know what pressure isPGA honors golf writers, but is it really journalism? »

Comment from: David [Visitor]
Okay, if an American pro golfer wants to stay in the U.S. to play golf, let him.

But I start getting annoyed when I hear an American (I believe it was Ryan Palmer) state that the Nationwide Tour has a higher standard of play than the European Tour. I firmly believe the standard of play on the European Tour is at least as good as on the PGA Tour. (Save for the fact that the couple of best players choose to play almost exclusively in America. As Under Par might say, discounting the prodigies and studying the average, the Europeans are just as good. This statement is doubtless going to be disputed fiercely by Americans here, because until an American is 10 years old, he/she doesn't actually know that anywhere else exists except America.)

The European courses are also generally harder. The Open courses are also much harder than Augusta and the U.S Open and PGA Championship courses.

Except for these gripes, I must admit that Greg Norman's idea of a 'world golf tour' is absurd and logistically infeasible.
02/16/06 @ 13:55
Comment from: Under Par [Visitor]
Look, like it or not, the US is the Roman Republic of our time. It won't last forever, but that's the way it is, so such dominance should come as no surprise.

Anyway, Europe hasn't been to friendly toward us as of late, so why should we bend over backwards to give them a piece of the pie? When they stop electing socialist governments, capitulating to terrorists, and generating anti-American sentiment (I'm not including England in this), then it may be appropriate to reassess matters.

Of course, I'm sure Timmy the leftist sissy wouldn't agree, but he's not really American anyway.
02/16/06 @ 16:41
Comment from: David [Visitor]
Under Par, I agree with your comments.

Eastern Europe is largely corrupt. Western Europe, especially England, (generally) loves America and are closer to the American culture than anyone [save for Canada and Mexico(?)].
02/17/06 @ 11:35
Comment from: Jason [Visitor]
David--The PGA tour is stronger then the European Tour from top to bottom. End of discussion, there is no need to cite statistics or name players, this is a fact that even the top Euros would readily admit. I do disagree with Ryan Palmer, however and his assertion that the Nationwide tour is superior to the European Tour. Just a tip, generalizing and stereotyping Americans as uncultured or egocentric slobs, does little for your argument. I personally have been fortunate enough to have parents who understood the value of understanding and appreciating other cultures. I have been traveling to Europe since I was 7 months old and have come to love the people(not including the French), the culture, the food, drink, art, etc...and yes there beautiful historic golf courses, which are indeed difficult, Ballybunion in southern Ireland on a windy day will humble any man. this being said, your tour is still busch league compared to the PGA tour.
02/17/06 @ 11:43
Comment from: Under Par [Visitor]
David,

Well, you agree partially it seems. It's a stretch to say that western European nations love us. The truth is that they don't like us very much at all.
02/17/06 @ 15:54
Comment from: Roger Larson [Visitor]
I am not going to call the top 50 PGA out money guys "stupid inconsiderate rich R. Ronnie Ragun with little social conscience other than their PGA tour charidy adds" but I will call them that an A H Wher are they at NO this week? At a place that needs them? Oh It was a tough week in their shedule. The needed to take a break from their groupies on the road or their permanent nob-wife girlfriend and go home for a bit. Who cares about New Orleans? That is a poor persons' deal and the government can work on it (the govt. that is charging rich people way to much in taxes and is making it very hard to get rich.)
04/25/06 @ 22:56

Dates: February 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Escape to Las Vegas experiencing pure excitement and incredible championship golf. Enjoy 3 nights hotel accommodations at the TI and 2 Round of exciting Las Vegas Golf playing the best holes of the British Open at Royal Links Golf Club and the Dye-abolical Carolina-themed Desert Pines Golf Club. Introductory priced at just $299 per person!