« Me? Agree with Rush Limbaugh? Never, except on Michelle WieMichelle Wie face-to-face with Annika Sorenstam: Wie wilts »

Comment from: Rick [Visitor]
As an admitted fan of both the tour and Phil Mickelson, I have to tell you that it dissapointing to continue to read such unprovoked, crap from wannabe journalists like yourself. I've probably been to 50 PGA events in the past 20 years, including a dozen majors, and one thing remains consistent and un-matched--that the often flamed Phil spends more time signing autographs and shaking hands with the fans (mostly kids) than any professional in history since Arnold Palmer.

Next time you are tempted to flame Philly Mic for being two-faced, check the ropes on your way to the parking lot. You'll likely find one of the tour's most valued and loved resources signing autographs--regardless of what kind of day he's had (or what you invented to write about him the week before).

And while you're at it, consider some of the reasons the press and the players seem to dislike Phil--starting with a close relationship with fans that neither the whiney players or the press can seem to discourage with their arrows and jabs.
03/20/06 @ 16:47
Comment from: John [Visitor]
I'll also be following Owen's career with interest. Jean Van de Velde earned the same respect from me for the way he has handled the endless ridicule ever since Carnoustie in 1999. (The 400th-ranked player in the world almost wins a major... you'd think an underdog like that would have received sympathy, not derision.)
03/20/06 @ 17:03
Comment from: JR [Visitor]
I think you have your tour pros mixed up... I believe it was Tiger Woods who wouldn't speak to the press after his 80ish performance at the British Open a few years back. Can you please give a specific instance of Phil Mickelson do you what you have accused him of....
03/20/06 @ 18:22
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor]
Oh my god!!
this actually came from the pen (keyboard) of the might Tim McDoodoo?

Tim McDonald said:

"The more I watch competitive golf, the more I’m convinced that the pro who does NOT choke is a rare bird indeed. All the great ones have felt a case of nerves at the conclusion of big tournaments. The difference is those guys knew there would be many more opportunities."

Dontcha just love quote marks and brackets to screw up your lovely blog, Timmy?
03/20/06 @ 19:25
Comment from: Andrew [Visitor]
All the time Phil was on that 0 for whatever winless streak in the majors, and choked (i.e. Shinnecock Hills, where I believe Phil also 3 putted from about 3 feet), he still showed up afterwards at the press conference and never once appeared to get annoyed at the persistent 'when will you....' questions.
So in singling out Phil I believe you are completely out of order.
03/21/06 @ 13:32
Comment from: Simon [Visitor]
As a massive Phil Mickelson it angers me to hear such pathetic comments from someone who calls themself a journalist. I watch almost every tournament on TV, I have been to 8 majors and several more tournaments, my Dad has been to over 30 majors and yet neither of us have seen or heard anything from anyone to suggest Phil actually is fake. I have seen his interaction with the crowd, I have stood and watched him spend 30 minutes signing autographs for EVERY SINGLE PERSON who asked. He is never anything but gracious in interviews and press conferences. Through all those years of being grilled over why he had not won a major we was never abrupt or rude and always answered with integrity and honesty. When Phil won the PGA last year he quickly answered the press questions and then went straight to his fans and spent well over an hour signing autographs. As for the insinuation that Phil ignored fans and press after the 2004 US Oen, when he 3-putted from 3ft on 17, that is simply untrue since he did do interviews as usual. Next time you decide to bad mouth someone for no reason then perhaps you should get your facts correct beforehand. Finally I visit forums on the Phil Mickelson website and there are countless examples of why the fans love Phil. Here are two examples from fans who saw Phil at the recent TPC;

"I had been planning this trip for some time and bought tickets to the 3 practice rounds. As I posted sometime earlier I bougt a "GO PHIL" hat and tee-shirt to wear so Phil would notice me. I arrived about 7:20 am Tuesday, there weren't many people there yet. I was walking past the driving range looking for Phil. THERE HE WAS!!!! My heart was racing I was so excited to see him. He looked great, very classy in his visor, I might add. He saw me and laughed and thanked me . A few seconds later he whispered something to Bones and Bones pulled out a signed used glove Phil had in his bag and gave it to me!!! I yelled over THANKS PHIL YOU"RE THE BEST!!!! My husband was buying a flag at the souvenier stand and missed the whole thing. We continued to watch Phil on the driving range, it was awesome . When he finished, as he was walking away he turned to us and waved goodbye and thanked us for supporting the tour. We didn't see any other pros do that all 3 days!!! I followed Phil as long as possible. He was playing with Rocco Mediate. At the end of the 4th he was walking by me and jokingly said hey, Rocco wants to know where he can buy a tee shirt like that I was so excited I thanked him and told him how much it meant to me that he gave me the glove. He asked where I was from and was I here for the whole tournament. I told him he was the class act on and off the PGA. He extended his hand to shake and I patted him on the back and wished him good luck this weekend. He thanked me for supporting him and said for me to thank my husband too for bringing me there. My husband had business later in the week in Orlando. We specificly went to TPC to see Phil. It was a dream come true for me. He is truly a GREAT PERSON!!!"

"I took my 5 year old grandson to the opening round at Sawgrass and we followed Phil for 9 holes. He took the time walking between each green and tee to talk to him and ask him where he was from and how old he was. We then waited after his round was over to see if we could get his autograph. He very graciously signed autographs for about 30 minutes (much longer than anyone else) and asked my grandson if he had followed him all day (He teed off at 7:32 a. m.) and he told him we did and he signed a Players Club Flag for him. My grandson will never forget that and I will never forget the patience and generosity of Phil Mickelson."
03/28/06 @ 17:48
Comment from: joan [Visitor]
You obviously have no journalistic conscience or integrity to print the facts. Phil proves over and over again he is the class act in golf today with fans and the press. Maybe you are a little jealous of a guy who really has it all going for him on and off the course!!!!
03/28/06 @ 19:43
Comment from: Jeff Bonifaci [Visitor]
Wow, this honestly doesn't even deserve a response. I'd just like to say that you're an ass and an embarrassment to this site.

Phil has the best relationship with fans out of all the guys on tour. I have seen it with my own eyes and heard it from hundreds of others.

Please stop writing this fictitious crap.
03/29/06 @ 12:01

Dates: April 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Play golf at Turnberry, Glasgow Gailes, Dundonald and Western Gailes. Includes five nights accommodation at the Gailes Hotel Irvine. Option to book additional or alternative golf is available. Includes auto-transmission, self-drive minivan. A Carr Golf Travel executive will assist in booking caddies, restaurants, sight-seeing options, etc.
Price range: £795