« Golf in Scotland and Ireland: Likes and dislikesGolf in Ireland: Try Mt. Temple in the heart of Ireland »

Comment from: jaypee [Visitor]
Global comments on your 3 blogs about Ireland:

If you have the chance to travel abroad for golf, you absolutely have to go to Scotland for the tradition and the Open courses. However, overall Ireland is a more enjoyable trip, given the atmosphere, the food, the more festive people and the always spectacular courses.

Pat Ruddy is another great Irish architect. About 15 courses including European Club and Rosapenna. To sample his talent, you can get on his great Montreal Island Golf Club, in Montreal Quebec, a true links course.

As for bad things, I agree with you on the road system. However, given the cost of electricity production, you can only agree with not lighting up your whole house with one switch. They are not inclined to waste energy as we do in North America.
04/18/06 @ 11:50
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Yeah, I figured it had something to do with cost, as Tony Blair is agitating for a nuclear power plant. And yes, I'm spoled...
04/18/06 @ 14:31
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
I'm headed to Scotland this week for a "hidden gems" theme trip. Any suggestions?
04/18/06 @ 15:48
Comment from: Leopold Bloom [Visitor]
How much do they really have to worry about snake thoroughfares in Ireland?

One of the greatest ideas in GB overall is the frequent arrangement of routing hot water pipes through places where you may hang towels and wet socks.
Used to be an old ad circulating that said, "Hire the Irish Before They Hire You." McGyver probably had that genetic ingenuity most North Americans don't even recognize, much less possess.
04/18/06 @ 17:12
Comment from: Molly Bloom [Visitor]
Re: Suggestions for "hidden gems" theme trip:
Send us a photo op of you in a kilt.
04/18/06 @ 17:20
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Oh yeah, I forgot about that warm towel rack deal, should have included that. That IS a bit of genius.

McGyver the TV show? Yeah, come to think of if, he was prety ingenious.

Top 10 Irish toasts (ongoing series)

"May all your ups and downs be in bed"

If I ever wore a kilt, I'd make damn sure no photographers were around. I'd do in in the privacy of my own home, or in the company of other transvestites.
04/19/06 @ 00:27
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Tim--

Go to Crail (Balcomie Links)! Not really "hidden," but should not be missed.

04/19/06 @ 10:47
Comment from: Brad [Visitor]
Good post. A few friends of mine and I are wanting to plan a week and a half long golf trip to the Ireland / Scotland area to play links courses and drink in the Irish pubs in the evening. I don't even know where to start planning. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

04/20/06 @ 06:26
Comment from: Michael Cantwell [Visitor]
It’s not only non-nationals that are at fault. They are bad but there is worse,
There is a waiting list of around a year and a half to do a driving test, which has been always the case for at least 7 or 8 years now. Some time ago (in the 1980’s) because there were so many people waiting to be tested the government announced that they were passing everybody that had a Provisional Licence (learners permit) so you just had to apply for a full licence, no test. Now these people can go driving all over the world.

Today you can do your driving test, fail it, and still drive away without a qualified driver sitting beside you. You can do this as many times as you like provided you have applied for a test. You can drive anywhere even on motorways with “L” plates showing and the police wouldn’t even pull you over.

On top of all this you have no road signage of any significance, the local authorities don’t seem to think it’s important to signpost anything, with the result that a lot of signs are erected by local people, because they feel sorry for tourists getting lost and ending up in housing estates or dead ends and looking for directions for a way out.

But I think the drinking and driving is the worst. You see the publicans are a strong group of people in Ireland as is the whole drinks industry. So anything the government comes up with will not get through the house. It’s only now after a momentous battle that we have random breath testing. Not that this will matter, I don’t think it will change a thing because go to any pub after 10.00oc in the evening and try to find a parking spot.
04/21/06 @ 14:29
Comment from: Harry [Visitor]
They are bad but there is worse
Yeah! you.
How sad are you? If you're that up-set about the roads and road users, then why live here? Move out, bye-bye, so-long, the Airport is well sign posted.
One more parking spot vacant for 2 mins.
Oh, the Golf is good over here, and I'm not talking about the car, although the VW Golf is a nice car.
04/21/06 @ 15:29
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
Brad--

I've written a couple of stories on planning trips to Scotland and Ireland. See my TravelGolf.com archive page (URL above) and scroll down the page till you find what you want.
04/25/06 @ 18:32

Dates: January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Riverwood Resort offers all inclusive golf packages for your destination getaway. All of our packages include unlimited golf on our 27 holes, on-site fairway villa lodging, gourmet meals, great friendly service, and unforgettable memories, starting at $141 per night.
Price range: $141 - $290