« Alligators in Florida attacking joggers, golfers, running amuck? Don't think so.Hey, Cheap Bastard: tell us the whole story on Barbados »

Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Tim,
There is quite a few guys who comment here regularly who would agree completely with the ban on women becomming members.

In fact many of them probably think that women should not be allowed on a golf course at all except maybe to congratulate their husbands when they win tournnament.

This idea of women actually swinging a golf club and playing would be a completely disgusting idea to these guys.

So well done on your blog, but you probably have your work cut out.

Personally, I agree with you that women should be allowed join, but it really isn't something that bothers me. There are greater injustices that would get my attention more.
05/08/06 @ 16:50
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
Augusta National a place where the "Good Ole Boys" enjoy being "Good Ole Boys". Can't have any women folk at them there Klan meetings ya hear.

05/09/06 @ 03:57
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
Hootie and the Blowhards have moved on to be replaced by a new group, Billy and the Biggots.
05/09/06 @ 04:00
Comment from: ToddCommish [Visitor]
Oh please. Men can have a club where women are excluded, just like women can have a club where men are excluded. Whites can have a club where minorities are excluded, just like minorities can have a club where whites are excluded.

As long as they don't take government money, there should be no problem. All of this hoo-hah is just stupid political grandstanding by camera hungry attention whores (Martha Burk, Jesse Jackson, etc.)
05/09/06 @ 11:51
Comment from: Bob Dobbs [Visitor]
Sure, if Americans want to be sexist, racist, elitist scumbags on their own dime, no one should have the audacity to question them, RIGHT? Augusta National reinforces the Bushwood image of golf as a game for fat, rich jerks. Those of us trying to attract all demographics out to play what should be the most egalitarian sport of all, and in so doing be able to pay the irrigation bill and keep the course open really appreciate all the help Billy (and Todd), NOT.
05/09/06 @ 13:09
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
Todd do you ever read what you write before hitting the "Send Comment" button?

The "Government" is involved with security at the "Masters Tournament" every step of the way. Federal, State and Local Authorities work security, traffic and emergency services planning issues for the event all year long. Augusta National does not repay these costs to Government Agencies, you and I (as taxpaying Americans) pay to underwrite these costs Todd. Pull this support away and the Masters is history as a tournament.

The "Masters Tournament" is broadcast over "Public Airwaves" that you and I own as citizens of the USA. Deny access to the airwaves and the Masters is over.

Crawl back on the "Turnip Truck" Todd and think before you hit SEND.
05/09/06 @ 14:23
Comment from: Eddy [Visitor]
Mr One-Putt, do you ever tried to understand why Federal, State and Local Authorities involved before you made your comments. Authorities have obligation to protect the public (you) because people attending the Master also pay taxes. Do you ever see organizers of protest pay for the deployed police?

The Master Tournament is simply a private event managed & run in commercial terms. They actually survived 2 years without commercial sponsers.

The "Public Airware" you own are paid for by advertisers driven by market demand (the public). Remember the network declined when Hootie offered to drop the TV boardcast. What make you think you have a say in the club's private policy when the only control you have over the "Public Airware" you own is to turn off your TV and you are clearly in the minority.

05/10/06 @ 00:10
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
I do boycott the Masters and encourage others to do the same.

Augusta has a long history of segregation and the other discrimitory practices of the Old South.

Why don't you ask an African American, Mexican American or another minority what they think of their federal tax dollars going to support the Masters Tournament.

You might be surprised by the answers you get.

05/10/06 @ 03:44
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Attababy, One-Putt! Your boycott has got Hootie, Billy and the rest of the good ole boys on the run! Well, maybe the Master's is sold out for the foreseeable future, but you and Martha with your crackpot feminist agenda are gonna bring 'em to their knees! One-Putt, I normally like yout posts even though in my view they are a little over the top. But this latest post of yours is hard to fathom. Your description of Augusta and the "Old South" and your intense dislike for both is just too much. The Old South is long gone and the "New South" is way more tolerant and inclusuve than the liberal North. I mean, One-Putt you have got to be joking!
05/10/06 @ 08:45
Comment from: ToddCommish [Visitor]
Bob and One-putt, either you're both being deliberately obtuse or you really have no clue what I was saying. PRIVATE clubs have no obligation to be egalitarian or politically correct or even NICE; that's why they're PRIVATE. The same goes for private universities (which was partly the basis for my argument), some of whom chose to forego government financing to keep their elitist, sexist, and archaic rules. But that's their right as long as they remain privately financed. If CBS chooses to pay them exorbitant amounts of money to show millionaires play golf, that's an issue to take up with CBS, not Augusta National.

Don't mistake my defense of their right to be elitist and racist with my agreement with them. And I'm sure neither of you belonged to the Boy Scouts when you were younger...
05/10/06 @ 12:42
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
That is my personal choice Alex and was based on how I was raised.

05/10/06 @ 12:45
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
One-Putt, It certainly is your choice to have any pre-conceived notions that you desire. I do find it somewhat difficult to believe that your parents raised you to have and maintain stereotypical prejudices about decent men like Hootie and Billy, much less have the same ill feelings towards cities, states, and entire regions of the country. But as you say, those are your choices, just as the exclusion of women as members is the choice of the Augusta National Membership Committee.
05/10/06 @ 13:26
Comment from: Jim COULTHARD [Visitor]
I am quite certain that Michelle Wie would not even consider drinking mint julpes until she is old enough to legally drink.
05/10/06 @ 14:48
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Jim C, What was that comment supposed to be about? Aren't mint juleps the exclusive property of the Kentucky Derby?
05/10/06 @ 15:23
Comment from: David [Visitor]
ToddCommish has already made the comment that I have in mind.

Some people simply don't understand the issue at hand. Women cannot become members of Augusta National because it is a club for males only - in the same way that women run clubs exclusively for females.

In St. Andrews, there are at least a dozen golf clubs based at the Links - some are women-only clubs, and some are mens-only clubs. No sexism there, it just makes it easier for the boys to get together to play a bit of golf, without all the nagging from the missus. Or a chance for the women to get together to play some golf and talk about.. erm, well, whatever women like to natter on about.

Now, The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews is a mens-only club, and always has been. It used to be the worldwide governor of golf (except in N. America), but now The R&A run golf, which is simply a corporation of companies which took over from The Royal and Ancient Golf Club in this respect, and women can now help run the game. However, The Royal and Ancient Golf Club remains (and is independent of The R&A), and I can't see women being allowed in the club anytime soon.

This example illustrates that it is possible to make matters fair, without letting Martha Burke ruin everything.

Women should be allowed to form their own club at Augusta, similar to the situation at St. Andrews - and should be allowed to play the Augusta National course.

So essentially, I have no problem with a same-sex club, and I doubt even Martha Burke does - females are just pissed that they're being denied access to one of the finest golf courses in the world. Hey, ban them from your stupid little club, but don't just say, 'You're not playing on one of the best golf courses in the world because you're a women.'

In the past, I've made my opinion of Bobby Jones known. He was a racist, homophobic, sexist biggot. I think all of us are just a little racist, regardless of one's race, and no, I don't like gays - but the gender thing is going too far.
05/11/06 @ 14:58
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
David, Women can and do play hundreds of rounds per year on the Augusta National course. I read your post and for the most part it made a fair amount of sense, UNTIL the final paragraph. That last paragraph has left me speechless. Are those really your opinions and do you actually believe what you wrote? Is it possible for one to be "a little bit racist?"
05/12/06 @ 08:32
Comment from: David [Visitor]
Yes, I really believe what I wrote, Alex. What other explanation can be given for why a rich lawyer banned black men from playing in his tournament?

Also, everyone has at least a little prejudice within them, whether it is justified or not.
05/13/06 @ 14:41
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
David, You have flatly stated that Bobby Jones was a racist, sexist, homophobic bigot. I had never thought of Bobby Jones as any of these things, nor have I ever before heard of such accusations. Of course, Bobby isn't around to defend himself from such scurrilous charges. You on the other hand, need no defense. You frankly admit to being a racist, homophobic bigot and offer no apology for it. But of course, your not a sexist bigot, just racist and homophobic. This would be funny if it weren't so sad.
05/13/06 @ 18:37
Comment from: David [Visitor]
No, I said everybody has at least a little prejudice within them. Even you, Alex.

And you're right, I don't need a defense, or any sort of explanation for my beliefs.
05/14/06 @ 04:48
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
David, Your honesty is shocking but refreshing. Very few people would admit to being a racist, homophobic bigot and make no apology for it. On the other hand, you find sexist bigotry intolerable, somewhat of a contradiction. I do take exception to your blanket statement that EVERYBODY nas "a little" prejudice" in him, even me. David, you don't know me or where I've been or what I've done, so it is highly presumptuous of you to make such a statement. All that I can tell you is that you are 100% wrong.
05/14/06 @ 08:28
Comment from: David [Visitor]
Alex, I'm sorry if offence was caused. And I will take your word for it, in that I am '100% wrong.'

All I can say is that you are a much better person than I am.

05/15/06 @ 14:41
Comment from: David [Visitor]
Oh, another thing:

"David, you don't know me or where I've been or what I've done.."

True, but I do know that you're a very clever man.. so when you're blogging, always realise that you're making a lot more sense than I am, and then act accordingly when replying to my somewhat erratic and rambling posts.

05/15/06 @ 14:48
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
David, You made no offense and none was taken, Let's write finis to that episode. I believe that you are British by the number if Briticisms used in your writing. If I am correct, what part of the island do you come from? Thanks.
05/15/06 @ 15:40
Comment from: David [Visitor]
I'm in the north-east of England, in a little coastal village called Marske (near a bigger town called Middlesbrough).

I am south of Newcastle, but only an hour away from it. York is also nearby.

David
05/15/06 @ 16:36
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
David, My business takes me to London in general and to the town of Luton about once yearly. We were in the vicinity of Newcastle for two days last October. The only difficulty I had in Newcastle was with the local vernacular and the many colloquialisms in use. But the people were quite simply great. Incidentally, I reside in the midwestern US. Alex
05/16/06 @ 11:42
Comment from: David [Visitor]
Yes, northerners are widely regarded as 'very friendly' by the southerners. That being said, the Newcastle people (we call them 'Geordies') speak with very irritating accent. They append 'man' onto the end of every sentence, which I'm sure you'll have noticed by now.

I've only been to America a few times, but I always stayed in Florida. I have a few friends who live in the midwest of America.

Take care,
David.
05/16/06 @ 16:27
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
David, I'm from a suburb of Chicago, about 35 miles northwest. As far as accents go,the "Geordies" were relatively easy to understand compared to the "Brummies" we encountered. Of course, they had the same opinion of our speech patterns. At times, especially after three or four pints, we all could have used an interpreter. Wasn't there once an old saw about The English and Americans being one people divided by a common language?
05/17/06 @ 21:05
Comment from: JP [Visitor]
Why would a male only golf club send out an invitation to Michele "Pituitary Case" Wie to play in its private tournament? Is this Tim McDonald guy even familiar with any aspect of golf, let alone professional golf?
05/21/06 @ 06:17
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
JP, I couldn't agree with you more that it is their right and privilege to invite whomever they wish to the Masters'. Hootie did say when MW was competing in the Publinx last year that if she won she indeed would be invited in the 2006 event as had been the custom for more than a few years. One question; What is the connotation of "Pituitary Case?"
05/21/06 @ 09:05
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
JP, It is my opinion that folks like Tim and others who clamor for women to be members of Augusta National have no idea of the various criteria that all private clubs have when considering increasing membership. I am a member of a private club founded in 1979. Our membership is made up of both sexes, all races, and many national origins with no quotas. We haven't accepted any new members for three years since the committee thinks the club couldn't accommodate any new members until our facilities are expanded. Also, it is my understanding that Augusta National has an unwritten rule that nobody who requests membership is ever considered for it. The membership committee there prefers to make the overture.
05/21/06 @ 09:20

Dates: June 1, 2014 - September 30, 2014
Enjoy 4 1/2 star course side accommodations in a deluxe fairway room and play our platinum rated championship golf course. It includes a deluxe fairway room plus one round of golf for two adults walking (cart not included). From $132 per person per night, based on dbl occ + taxes.