« Bob Charles at the U.S. Senior Open: play golf til you dieAllen Doyle was right: USGA pulling for Tom Watson to win U.S. Senior Open »

Comment from: hapahaole [Visitor]
"Allow me to point out the difference between shameless self-promotion and circumspect, dignified marketing."

No, allow me to point out the similarity between "shameless self-promotion and self-promotion. "Circumspect, dignified marketing"? Yeah, right.

And with this article, it is now "Shameless promotion by a 'What's in it for me?' cohort".

I hope you're getting lunch, or getting SOMETHING for your circumspect, dignified marketing. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it could just be "circumspect, dignified marketing".
07/12/06 @ 11:58
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor]
Thank you hapahaole. Please understand that Tim McDonald is using both Jennifer Mario's and Golf for Beginners' success to boost his own validity. To me, that's pretty lame in its own right.

Perhaps next time Tim might be able to come up with a more unique blog.

Rsorting to childish put-downs is truly a Tim McDonald specialty.
07/12/06 @ 14:00
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
This is one of my pet peeves regarding the use of the English language.

Something is either unique -- one of a kind -- or it isn't.

07/12/06 @ 14:27
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
If Jen was a guy, I would say this is an obvious case of penis envy.
07/12/06 @ 14:46
Comment from: hapahaole [Visitor]
"This is one of my pet peeves regarding the use of the English language. "Unique" means one of a kind. Therefore, one thing cannot be "more" or "less" unique than another." Tim McDonald

This is the only critique you could come up with?

Wow, it appears you have a learned grasp of the English language. But just for grins, let's see what Merriam-Webster has to say about Stacy's apparent faux pas:

unique
1 : being the only one : SOLE, his unique concern was his own comfort, I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? -- Kingsley Amis the unique factorization of a number into prime factors
2 a : being without a like or equal : UNEQUALED could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique -- Robert Coover b : distinctively characteristic : PECULIAR 1 this is not a condition unique to California -- Ronald Reagan
3 : UNUSUAL a very unique ball-point pen we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch -- J. D. Salinger

Usage: Many commentators have objected to the comparison or modification (as by somewhat or very) of unique, often asserting that a thing is either unique or it is not. Objections are based chiefly on the assumption that unique has but a single absolute sense, an assumption contradicted by information readily available in a dictionary. Unique dates back to the 17th century but was little used until the end of the 18th when, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, it was reacquired from French. H. J. Todd entered it as a foreign word in his edition (1818) of Johnson's Dictionary, characterizing it as "affected and useless." Around the middle of the 19th century it ceased to be considered foreign and came into considerable popular use. With popular use came a broadening of application beyond the original two meanings (here numbered 1 and 2a). In modern use both comparison and modification are widespread and standard but are confined to the extended senses 2b and 3. When sense 1 or sense 2a is intended, unique is used without qualifying modifiers.

Well, now we have the rest of the story. Apparently, your definition would be correct and in vogue....if this were before the Civil War!

This is another example of you not researching what you print. Kind of like your statement in another one of your "researched pieces". "Only Nike and certain sponsors still love her unequivocally." What kind of a boneheaded assertion is that?

Your credibility as a journalist, like that of your peer Chris Baldwin, is fast becoming a big joke. If your ambition is to continue writing for The Daily Blog Archives until retirement age, then you are on the right path, because apparently your editor is not doing his/her job or simply doesn't care about poorly researched journalism.

I would think most would aspire to be a respected and credible, not CRUDABLE journalist.
07/12/06 @ 15:07
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Dear Half-a-Hole, simply because a word or phrase is widespread does not make its usage acceptable or preferable, particularly for someone who purports to be a writer.

If that were true, "bonehead" would be used in the highest literary circles. As would the word "ain't." Journalists should pay attention to the precise meanings of words. I realize this doesn't apply to you amateurs.

Also, to be precise, I don't write for the Daily Blog Archives. Something doesn't become archived until it is, by definition, in the past. How is it possible to write for something that's already in the past tense? Go ahead, look up "archive" in your dictionary. Just do me a favor and don't take up so much space cutting and pasting it word for word here.

By the way, here's what Merriam-Webster has to say about "crudable:"

"The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary."

If you're going to use a pun or whatever crude word-play you were trying, make sure it's funny and/or effective.

And for the record, idiot, blogs aren't edited, nor are the responses. If they were, yours would be seriously axed.

07/12/06 @ 16:38
Comment from: canine lover [Visitor]
I beg to differ, Mr. Timmy. It is a well known fact that there is a self proclaimed Vigi@a police on patrol, scrutinizing tirelessly for the aforementioned word. Some even suspect that the three lettered word describing one's rear end is similarly blacklisted. Cheers and do try to lighten up a bit.
07/12/06 @ 20:45
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Visitor]
Crudable is by far the most uniquest word I've ever seen.

And Barry and Stacy kick ass. I'd have to say Mr. McDonald (that's what he makes us call him, by the way) is just irked that the Solomons didn't have to spend several years paying their dues at the Anchorage Daily Press.

Or The Northern Light, Skagway News, Adelanto Bulletin and Victorville Daily Press, like yours truly.

Also, I'll be featured in "Big Hair Dudes Monthly" in September. Don't miss it!!

--WKW

07/13/06 @ 08:52
Comment from: Greg [Visitor]
Yes, it's not like J.D. Salinger purported to be a writer.

Tim McDonald's new motto: "I would kick J.D. Salinger's grammatically incorrect ass if anybody knew where I could find him".
07/13/06 @ 10:54
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Damn straight
07/13/06 @ 11:10
Comment from: Greg [Visitor]
But you couldn't find him, Tim, because besides being an incomporably better writer, he's just plain smarter, and would recognize when he's being ridiculed.

You write: "..simply because a word or phrase is widespread does not make its usage acceptable or preferable, particularly for someone who purports to be a writer."

Yet there is Salinger, mocking you with his sloppy usage. Maybe, just maybe, Salinger is using the word "unique" in the manner you deem incorrect because he is a writer, not in spite of it. He recognizes that words are there to be used by writers, not the other way around. It's a device, silly, like Joyce's splendid use of the narrator/character voice in the opening sentence of Dubliners. (Joyce's narrator used "literally" incorrectly, but Joyce, like Salinger, was also out of your league).

Poor Tim McDonald, forever bound by the straightjacket of the dictionary he was given at first communion.
07/13/06 @ 11:37
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Greg, you make some excellent points, most of which I agree with.

Many great writers have their narrators, writing first-person omniscient, mis-using the language, for some sort of intended effect. Purposeful misuse of the language is done all the time when writing in the vernacular.

Good lord, what about Faulkner, for example? There are dozens, probably hundreds of examples.

Still, I assume you'll agree that in this particular instance, that was not the case. If not, then you're giving far too much credit, and your argument becomes specious.

By the way, I'm not Catholic. I never took communion. I am unbound by religious fervor.
07/13/06 @ 12:02
Comment from: hapahaole [Visitor]
To: Tim McDoNut

Your reply was a half-witted attempt to deflect attention away from my question, but in so doing you validate what Stacy alleges: "Resorting to childish put-downs is truly a Tim McDonald specialty." So I guess "bonehead", which you purport "is not used in the highest literary circles" should be acceptable to you.

Again, my allegation and question: "This is another example of you not researching what you print. Kind of like your statement in another one of your 'researched pieces', 'Only Nike and certain sponsors still love her unequivocally'. What kind of a boneheaded assertion is that?"

07/13/06 @ 12:14
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Dear Happy,

Damn it! What am I, half-witted or boneheaded?

Which is it? Make up your mind.

07/13/06 @ 13:40
Comment from: hapahaole [Visitor]
To: Mr. Incrudable

When doing proper research on any subject (or word definition in this case) one should always use more than one source as "Gospel" (Oh, that's right. You are unbound by religious fervor). That journalism lesson was probably not covered in your 8-day college internet course to obtain your sheepskin.

Below is a definition from another respected source:

Main Entry: crud•a•ble
Pronunciation: 'kr&d-&-b&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin crudibilis, from crudere
1 : capable of something disgusting, despicable or contemptible

I am still awaiting a reply to my allegation and question.

07/13/06 @ 15:06
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Mr. Happy,

Interesting. What is the other "respectable source"?

As long as you're preaching journalism at me, you should know a journalist should always name the source, not simply refer to it as "respectable."
07/13/06 @ 15:22
Comment from: Burt Jordann [Visitor]
I consider Tim McDonald to be one of the most lucid, insightful writers it has ever been my pleasure to read.

His rapier-like wit, effortless ability to turn a phrase and innate goodness make this multi-talented wordsmith a sheer joy to encounter no matter the genre.

McDonald has a gift few others can emulate. God bless you, sir.
07/13/06 @ 15:56
Comment from: Mike [Visitor]
Tim, How much did you pay Burt Jordan?
07/13/06 @ 22:46
Comment from: hapahaole [Visitor]
Oh, so now it’s the old “Let me ghostwrite and try to legitimize my credentials” trick.

Knock, knock, helloo, McFly? Anybody home?!
07/14/06 @ 02:21
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
I am not Burt Jordann, have never met Burt Jordann, nor have I remunerated anyone bearing that name in exchange for a testimonial.

Mr. Jordann, to my knowledge, is simply a discerning reader who felt the need to express his appreciation for one of the most enlightened journalists of his time.
07/14/06 @ 07:28
Comment from: Bruce Stasch [Member] Email
I'm sorry I missed all the fuss until now. It's quite entertaining to see everyone sniping at each other. Its so profession, so...enlightened. Regardless, what's wrong with shameless self-promotion? I'm all for it. Hey, if the Bush administration can pay to have the media write something nice about them (remember the paid talk show hosts and PR video dust up), then its good enough for me. Isn't that basically what advertising is? The only difference between advertising and PR, in my opinion, is that the advertiser is making it quite clear (since they are paying for it) that it is shameless self-promotion. Not a weak attempt to try to pass it off as PR. To me, any positive promo about golf podcasting is good for everyone.
07/14/06 @ 11:35
Comment from: hapahaole [Visitor]
Dear Bruce,

You present an excellent argument for justifying shameless self-promotion. But be advised, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it could be just "circumspect, dignified marketing".
07/14/06 @ 13:41
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Happy -- you need to get off this duck kick.
07/14/06 @ 13:44

Dates: January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Stay two nights or more in one of our luxurious, fully-furnished condominiums, while playing 18 or 36 holes on the Castle Course featuring holes inspired by some of the most recognizable courses played by the professionals! Packages also includes golf cart and practice facility. Stay & Plays offer discounted golf and condominiums rates.