« U.S. media leads way in Ryder Cup competitionMartini's a great Myrtle Beach restaurant »

Comment from: smudge [Visitor]
Couldn't agree more. It's like a train wreck that you can't look away from. Only instead of wanting to see something good happen, I can't help myself from hoping she continues to be last, to try to bring home the "told you so you don't belong here" that she should've listened to long ago.

Although the "there are guys out here who need the spot to keep their cards" may have been a weak argument the first two tries, it now is a serious issue. I mean how many golfers out there, professional or not, have had the luxury of 11 sponsors exemptions for a shot at the show? Give me 11 and I'll come in last at least twice and might even top the medical withdrawal figure.

The issue boils down to the fact that she is not even trying to win, because that is the one thing she knows she can't do. Is it laudable or proper to give someone $10 million USD who is merely trying to be just good enough to play the weekend?

She is starting to make women's golf look bad too. All the media says, she is the best talent out there, blah blah blah. Rolex puts her at #2 in the world before the figure out what a joke that is. Can you imagine? The women's world #1 (arguably by more of a spread than Tiger to the men) says on her attempt with the big boys "I don't belong here". And here this spoiled little teen, who has done absolutely nothing of note in the golfing world other than outdrive other young women and some older ones, says she does belong with the guys? Seems to me it only proves Annika's point stronger given her results. She doesn't belong there, and if she is the best the female golf world has to offer (not trying to be sexist here) it only supports the maintenance of a men's tour and a women's tour.
09/15/06 @ 17:25
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
Hey at least she beat some of the men- Oh wait she didn't!

oops, my bad
09/15/06 @ 17:37
Comment from: R.J [Visitor]
It was funny. Now it's getting embarrassing. Wie is in way over her head competing with men in the PGA. She needs to win some LPGA events before playing another PGA event. At least Babe Zaharias and Annika Sorenstam dominated the women's game before trying to play in a men's PGA tournament.
09/15/06 @ 17:48
Comment from: jamie [Visitor]
Michelle will never win a PGA event. Ever.She is a very talented young female golfer who will probably do great things on the LPGA tour. But "playing to make the cut" don't cut it in the PGA. Even with the broad range of talent on the men's tour, I'd guess most of the players are playing to win. She's a puppet for her handlers. I guess if you throw enough money at some people they'll do anything.....
09/15/06 @ 18:14
Comment from: JR [Visitor]
This is really getting frustrating. It is starting to sound as if MW is believing that she can count on playing in PGA events for the indefinite future. How about calling an end to this experiment gone bad and make her qualify for an event.
09/15/06 @ 18:27
Comment from: Jack [Visitor]
I agree with all of the above. It is hard to cheer for this young woman, when all she does is act like a spoiled brat. It all began when she and her father got into a verbal and physical confrontation with another LPGA player at the U.S. Open in 2003. She continues to act like she is the only person playing. Her behavior in the John Deere when she played slowly, distracting her playing partners was terrible. Today, when I observed, while at work, her bogey run on my computer, I was certain that she was going to get heat exhaustion or come up with some other excuse to bow out again.

Another complaint is the soft treatment she received in the press, particularly on television. I was watching on Thursday and the ESPN announcers openly cheered for her when she hit a rare good shot. They certainly never criticized her for any of her behavior or her decision to continue to make a fool of herself. Why won't an announcer say on the air that she simply does not belong out there (PGA tour) at this time?
09/15/06 @ 18:38
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
I'm beginning to think that Michelle come up with those ridiulous excuses because she thinks that's what people want to hear.

Team Wie's has built her up to such lofty heights, that she can't admit she's not good enough.
09/15/06 @ 19:06
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
Michelle's first season as a Pro was built on a schedule of paybacks:

The Fields Open in Hawaii was for the owners of Ko Olina who supported her over the years with free access to their course.

Sony Open in Hawaii for one of her major sponsors and her supporters on the island.

The SK Open in Korea because she had skipped their event in Hawaii.

The John Deere since they had invited her before.

The Omega Masters for her sponsor.

The 84 Lumber to pay back the Hardy's for their support over the years.

Michelle still has a couple of debts to payoff this season with the Samsung and Casio coming up and then her slate should be mostly clear.

I can imagine Michelle's schedule will be quite different next year considering her lack of success in men's events this season.

The big question will be if she is willing to join the LPGA tour and tie herself down to their rules on playing limited events outside the tour.

Hopefully she will decide to join the tour where she has the best chance for success.

09/15/06 @ 19:20
Comment from: Frasier [Visitor]
Why don't you just rename these blogs Michelle Wie dissing? :P
09/15/06 @ 19:24
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
Did anyone else catch this MW quote?

------------

"I definitely want to keep playing out here and competing with them," she said. "I'm really enjoying it. Obviously, everyone knows my ultimate goal is to play in the Masters. I like playing out here, making cuts -- start making cuts -- start getting Top 10s. I mean, who knows what's going to happen?"

-----------------

"...I like playing out here, making cuts..."

OMG! That was quite a slip of the tongue!

If there was any question if Michelle has delusions of grandeur or is merely a puppet, I think it was answered just then.
09/15/06 @ 19:30
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor]
Alex,

Correct me if I'm wrong, because perhaps I've ingested too many heavy metals and my memory is failing, but didn't the Wiemen claim that Bubbles was a lock to make a PGA cut this year?
09/15/06 @ 19:34
Comment from: Jack [Visitor]
These blogs are one of the few places where you see any real discussion about what a ridiculous figure Ms. Wie is turning herself into by both her actions on the course and comments after she is done. The mainstream press is so politically correct that they won't even address the issue. The most recent example is the latest AP story about her 81 today which begins:
Michelle Wie's "admirable" but still-unsuccessful attempts to become the first woman to make the cut on the PGA Tour.... (Emphasis added.) One simple question, what is admirable about it? She is extremely talented and like everyone is saying she needs to learn how to win first.
09/15/06 @ 19:34
Comment from: JR [Visitor]
One Putt... would you pleae list the different tours that she could join? There's the LPGA and maybe the European Ladies tour (not sure of official name). What else would there be?
09/15/06 @ 19:37
Comment from: Jacques [Visitor]
I agree with all of you. I feel a bit sorry for her but I don't think Wie is embaressed at all. I think that we must remember that she is second generation Korean. What does that have to do with anything? Well, and please, I don't want to offend anyone, but I have lived in Asia and Korea for many years, and they are definitely very " thick skinned" if you want. Her parents probably came to the US because at that time in Korea they had a really hard life. And the money - Asians love money and fame 3 times more than any other people, that's a fact. So, I think there;s definitely a bit of denial there, from hereself and her family. And listening to the post round interviews at the 84 2nd round - she keep s on saying that she's getting better and that she will not give up.

The other thing that we have to remember, and again I hope I don't offend the ladies, but the male and female bodies are very different. It's fait to say that male golfers are probably at their peak after they reach 30. It's not the same for female golfers. It's a bit like the young teen female tennis payers. Sure, her control and skill will improve, but she is not gonna get longer and longer of the tee. Playing with the men for a teenage girl is more physical than anything. She will get tired, physically. Trying to bomb it all the tme and having to walk those long rounds.

Anyway, something is wrong here. Michelle Wie might not be emabarresed and probably never will be, because she is Korean. But, maybe the tour organisers should be.

Nowadays women have all the opportunities that men have(of course not n Korea) but do we really want women who have huge biceps and play with the men? I certainly don't want that - I like women as they are, with make-up and pretty clothes. I can look at somebody like Annika and put her on the same page as the great ale golfers of our time. They are all exceptional and in my opinion on the same standard as golfers. i don't need to see them playing in the same tournaments.

09/15/06 @ 19:44
Comment from: Kimo [Visitor]
Hi, Tim. In the din over Michelle Wie's latest performance, it's hard to hear ourselves. But if we really listen, we may not like what we hear. What exactly are many of us saying? Is this the message, the lesson we're to glean: If you fail, quit? The ultimate beauty of sports is not to triumph, but to triumph after untold adversity. It's the heart, the courage, the challenge, not the gold that draws us to athletes like Michelle. And we all gain strength from their perseverance, their never-say-die attitude. To place, to make the cut, to finish the competition, or to compete -- these are all short of the gold, but they are nevertheless goals, and achieving any one of them is a triumph. Michelle has no quit in her, and she's willing to step onto the course, compete, to finish, to make the cut, to place, or to win. We've all competed at some level, and we've all learned the same lesson: there's no shame in failing as long as we try our best. The unsaid half of the statement is that the only shame is in quitting before you've given it your best shot. Michelle is giving every swing, every hole, every course, every competition her best shot, and this is all we can ask of an athlete. She may not be winning the gold, but she's winning the goals that she set for herself, which is to compete at the highest levels possible, to try her best, and to learn, to improve her game, stroke by stroke, hole by hole, competition by competition. If we can't love this process, then we're missing the point of athletics, the point of Michelle Wie.
09/15/06 @ 20:34
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Judge Smails, The Wee-wie's were positive that Bubbles was going to make a PGA tour cut right up to her swoon at the John Deere. In fact, Jim C flatly predicted that she would not only make the weekend at the Deere, she would go on to WIN the Evian and the Weetabix. Several were very excited about her chances for a cut at the Omega. At least one said she would finish top 20. Now some of the Wie-men are actually saying that the Wie critics and skeptics expect too much of Bubbles. At times, the Wie Warriors are as delusional as the kooks in Baldwin's "9-11 conspiracy blog."
09/15/06 @ 20:51
Comment from: Larry [Visitor]
Who cares that Michele Wie is second generation anything.What a stupid comment! Michelle is a little girl in a womans body. As I watch her miss putts, all I can think is that she probably grown a little bit standing over the last putt she missed. Michelle Wie might surpass Sorenstam, Inkster, Kerr, Webb, Davies, Jones, Pak, Park, Pepper, Lopez, and Wright to name a few but first she needs to be allowed to be a teenager before she becomes daddys retirement plan.
I hope Michelle never wins anything until she has been allowed to experience a lot of first things that a teenager needs to deal with if you know what I mean. First date, first kiss, first prom, and sex. Shame on daddy Wie & Nike! This stuff is important to a young girl (or boy). I just hope daddy Wie and Nike doesn't screw up this girls life just for the almighty dollar!
Michelle, I am a big Sorenstam, Kerr, Inkster and Ochoa fan. When you are 19 or 20 something I hope you win everything! And I hope Nike has bit the dust! You might be rich right now, but you are not Annika or Tiger. I hpoe your life is not messed up at a time when you should be on top of the world.
There are a lot of us out here that love you but can't stand what daddy and Nike are doing to you for the money.
Good luck in the future. Your future biggest fan
09/15/06 @ 21:04
Comment from: Brian [Visitor]
Kimo,
I think that I've never seen more cliches thrown together in one paragraph. Yes, I think we are saying if you're completely out of your league, quit that league and join one more suited for your talents. I, like Bubbles, am totally willing "place, to make the cut, to finish the competition, or to compete" on the PGA Tour, but I don't. Why? Again, like Bubbles, I am not good enough. Unlike, Bubbles, however, I don't have the hype machine, companies, millions of dollars of endorsements, and best coaches paving my way to compete on the PGA Tour. I'm sure that if I played on the tour I also wouldn't "win the gold" but I would be competing at the highest levels possible, trying my best, learning, improving my game, stroke by stroke, hole by hole, competition by competition - just like Bubbles. But, I don't think people would love the process of watching me hack around the course. And, unlike Bubbles, I don't think I deserve a spot in a PGA tour event solely to improve my game. Nevertheless, Kudos to B.J and Bubbles, they're set for life now, having ridden our mass-media culture's need to make the next superstar. I, however, prefer the days when the superstars made themselves.
09/15/06 @ 21:19
Comment from: Jack [Visitor]
Amen Brian. Your last sentence is very appropriate. The problem I think a lot of people have with the Wies is that they have made a fortune for their family without ever winning anything. Tiger made a fortune when he became pro, but he had won three staight U.S. Amateur titles.
09/15/06 @ 21:28
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Larry, You've got it all wrong. After today's round Bubbles insisted twice during her interview on the Golf Channel that all the final decisions were hers and hers alone. You're being too harsh with BJ Wie. Most of the Wie Warriors say he is a wonderful father who desires nothing but the best for his only child. She herself has said several times that she enjoys what she's doing and wants to continue on the same path. Do you think she's lying or being coerced into saying these things?
09/15/06 @ 21:32
Comment from: tommy [Visitor]
"She's certainly not scaring anybody around here," said Ryder Cup team member Scott Verplank, who also missed the cut. "To be honest, I didn't even know she was here."

classic. nuff said....
09/15/06 @ 21:35
Comment from: tommy [Visitor]
“So definitely,” she said, summing up her two rounds, “I feel I'm getting better. You know, I didn't feel it was actually that bad because I felt like my game was 100 times better than last week. I felt like my shots were, yeah, 100 times better than last week.

“This week,” she said, for example, “my par-3 score is tons better.”

She played the four par 3s in a bogey and seven pars.

for f---ing real? this world is so f---ed up nowadays. failures are succeses. our society is really messed up.
09/15/06 @ 21:43
Comment from: Larry [Visitor]
Alex, I hope you are right!
I really think that she will be a future superstar if she is not ruined today.
Sorry but BJ had to be told to get off her bag because he was not good for her!
Earl Woods was smart enough not to be on Tigers bag.
Don't get me wrong, I think Michelle is going to be great in the future (not BJ).
Wie Warriors--let her grow up!!!
Remember Ty Tryon?
17 years old.
March 2001 Honda Classic--Youngest GOLFER to make PGA cut since 1957.
As of today:
No victories
No top 10's
Money $o.oo
World ranking n/a
OK, Ty is/was no Michelle Wie, But Callaway gambled on his "potential" and now you can hardly find his name annywhere.
Warriers--let Michelle grow up!!
09/15/06 @ 22:07
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
I dunno.. I think the damage has already been done.

The Wie's already got the big sponsor dollars and the hype has been installed.

Does anyone honestly believe that the Wie camp will step forward and openly admit they were wrong?

Even if it all went away, all the money, all the endorsements, all the exemptions, and all the hype, the Wie's will shift the blame off themselves (bad management, bad coaches, bad caddies, bad advisors, bad corporate reps, bad PR spokespeople, bad press, jealous competition, and the terrible terrible evil internet bloggers).

Corporate sponsors must protect their investments (they're not sponsoring you for the love of it, it's for MONEY stupid!!!). If Michelle quits now, someone's gettin' fired at Nike.
09/15/06 @ 22:41
Comment from: Kimo [Visitor]
[begin quote]
Comment from: Brian [Visitor]
...I think we are saying if you're completely out of your league, quit that league and join one more suited for your talents. I, like Bubbles, am totally willing "[to] place, to make the cut, to finish the competition, or to compete" on the PGA Tour, but I don't. Why? Again, like Bubbles, I am not good enough. 09/15/06 @ 21:19
[end quote]

Hi, Brian. That's precisely the difference. You're not good enough to be out there. And you're not alone -- 99.9% of the rest of us aren't either. But Michelle is -- good enough, that is. Few doubt her natural talent. She's a gifted athlete, a one in a billion. This is obvious to anyone who's ever watched her play. Thus the interest, the awe, the belief. Millions of people around the world can see it, and they see it where it counts -- in their gut. Michelle Wie is special. She has that extra something that we recognize as greatness. Tiger has it. Michael Jordan had it. And we know it's going to come together sooner than later, and we're all going to marvel and wonder. Relax and enjoy the ride. In fact, I'm sure you are. Only someone who truly loves sports would be as impassioned, as you seem to be, about a player who's not living up to her potential. Give her time, and, again, enjoy the process. This is what sports is all about.
09/15/06 @ 23:25
Hmm... It's funny you mention Michael Jordon, here something you should know

This exerpt come from:

----------------------

At one point, Oprah asked MJ what he thought the difference was between rock stars and athletes. I was of course anticipating some kind of comment about how much harder it is to be a professional athlete, so I was quite surprised with his response. He said that the difference between rock stars and athletes is that rock stars earn every penny they make. Jordan said that athletes nowadays, on the other hand, are paid based on potential. At this point, he went into a spiel about the difference between the NBA now and the NBA during his prime. He made a valid point when he said that all of these high school and international players are getting contracts before anyone has really seen what they can do. And because they already have multi-million dollar contracts, the athletes aren't working as hard. Jordan said that people like him, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson, and others earned the money they got and that he doesn't believe the same integrity is present in the NBA today.

---------------

This exerpt comes from Oprah website:

----------------

Michael says he thinks there's been a change in the status of young stars in the NBA since he and Charles played the game. "The difference in our sport, in all honesty, is [now] you get paid off of potential," he says

Was this state of things caused by the amazing successes he and Charles have experienced? "Partly," Michael says, but it's been "interpreted totally wrong."

"When you look back in our era—Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley—we earned what we got," he says. "I don't mean to demean the young kids because I think it's something that they have to learn and hopefully they will learn, [but] when corporate America came to us, we had a game that could validate their admiration. Now, [players] get that before they play one game. … I think it sets a bad work ethic. When you get something so easily, you're not going to work as hard."

------------------

Sounds like anyone we know?
09/15/06 @ 23:57
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
Sooooo, is Michael Jordon wrong?
09/16/06 @ 00:01
Comment from: Jon [Visitor]
I am not gonna bother explaining it, Bad joke. A different Era, a different role of athletes and the same complaints from the oldies concerning the new generation.
09/16/06 @ 00:19
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
and typical answer! lol (i love it when history repeats itself) :) :) :)
09/16/06 @ 00:26
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor]
My suggestions for Michelle for nex year. Play just the SONY and the John Deere on the PGA. Play both the SBS abd the Fields to start the LPGA season. Skip match play right before the John Deere, and forget about the US Open if it means 36 holes on Monday before the LPGA Championship on Thursday.

Plan to possibly play a lot of lesser men's events in Asia, such as Korean PGA events or think about LPGA membership. I am not sure she would feel very welcome on the LPGA so that might not be much of an option. I do not expect her to become anything close to a full time college student.
09/16/06 @ 01:08
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
Jon, Kimo
It is futile trying to explain to the Grinches the
beauty of watching a talented young athlete progress.
They have bean-counter mentalities. They can't see past
the ends of their noses. Once she gets past her professional
golf "learning years", 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 22, she'll
be well prepared for the task ahead. In her most productive years,
23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, and 35, Michelle
will rewrite the record books.

I'll probably be long gone before Michelle completes her legacy.
But I and Jon, and Kimo, and all the other millions of Wie supporters,
will thoroughly enjoy each and every shot we get to see her take.
I pity the Grinches and their miserable little outlook on life.

Play for us, Michelle. Pity them.
09/16/06 @ 01:10
Comment from: Bob [Visitor]
Define how saying someone is taking away other people chance's to play who HAVE PROVEN THEMSELVES is being a grinch. How many LPGA tours has she placed in the top 5... oh yea... well wait how many times has she made the cut on the PGA tour.... oh yea.... still at 0!

There is one thing to be negative, there is another thing to tell people who invest money into the game itself, sponsors, and fans should have to wait around until she "blossoms" into a great player when there are plenty of proven people already at that level.

To sum it up: To try to hang with the big dogs when your learning how to crawl.
09/16/06 @ 02:56
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
Bob
It is a SPONSOR'S exemption... you know, the guy's who have
to foot the damn bill for every one of the MILLIONS of dollars
that go to all the pro stars (the 10% who generate revenue for the event)
AND all the slugs (the 90% who contribute nothing) who run up the expenses
for the sponsor and have never generated a nickel for the sponsors or the
chosen charities (yes Bob, charities are a big part of all PGA events).

So if Michelle is invited to play and displaces one low-ranking free-loader than so be it.
Without sponsors, there's no tour. If a so-called "Big Dog" ain't generating
revenue, then he ain't a Big Dog at all. Big Leach is more like it. Michelle brings
home the bacon for the sponsors and the charities like a REAL Big Dog is
supposed to do. (She probably does it better than 99% of all the players on the PGA tour)
Pro golf is a BUSINESS, not a free-money-tree.
09/16/06 @ 03:36
Comment from: Bob [Visitor]
And after how many failures will those sponsors realize they are shooting a dead horse.

Hey give the girl ten years.... Im not trying to sound sexist... but shes yet to win a LPGA championship, why move on something bigger when youve yet to prove what youve got with people at her own level. If she is so dominating and ready for the PGA then why has she not placed top 5.

The fact of the matter is she is not doing this because she thinks she can run with the men. She is doing it because she reaks the benifiets from the publicity. Its only time until that fades out. Especially when even the PGA players are doubting her. Ill tell ya what ghet.... come back and look at this blog 2 years from now... and use it a rememberence of a nobody. Michelle Wie will NEVER be able to compete at the PGA Level. Im sorry its just the truth. When shooting a good game in her mind results in her being 23 strokes back... obvoiusly something is right.
09/16/06 @ 04:06
Comment from: Bob [Visitor]
My last case in point with this pointless argument. You can have Wie pity me all you want but you cant deny the facts. And I quote:

"She birdied the par-5 16th. Until then, she was well on her way to being the only player of the 138 original starters not to birdie a hole in the 84 LUMBER Classic.

“This week,” she said, for example, “my par-3 score is tons better.”

She played the four par 3s in a bogey and seven pars.

The spirit burns bright as ever, suggesting that she's learned at least as much from her psychologist, Jim Loehr, as from her golf coach, David Leadbetter.

Think positive.

“Well, I just had a bad two weeks, that's it,” Wie said. “I feel like I'm getting better and better, my game is progressing.”

In her past 99 holes, she has had seven birdies, and is 34-over par.
"

Sorry Not PGA Material. Thanks for playing goodbye.
09/16/06 @ 04:12
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
Seriously, this has got to be the best reality series not exploited by the major networks.

Once upon a time...

Tiger Woods was (and still is) a gold mine. If given a chance, every corporate brand would travel back in time and sign him up under their corporate badge. Tiger may have made a vast empire for himself, but he has also made an untold fortune to those around him.

Corporations now look to the horizon...

Enter the prodigy.

You have a bright and promising young talent. She has been successful at a very early age competing amongst her peers. At 13 she becomes the media's sweetheart, predicted to accomplish mountians of success.

Enter the corporate powers.

Looking to land the highest return on investment, corporations seek out the prodigy, poised to offer millions for her signature on the dotted line.

But there's a catch...

The prodigy cannot be signed unless she declares herself, a professional.

Enter the father.

How long can one last when offered millions? How can a man deny his daughter happiness? Was is greed? Was is love? We may never know the decisions that led to the eventual...

The prodigy turns professional...

Now reaping millions in endorsements, their lives are set. No more worries, no more concerns.

But was it right???

The public is divided...

Many support her and champion her journey. They celebrate her triumps and help shoulder her failures. Greatness is in her future. The road may be bumpy, but the tank is full, and we've got plenty of snacks.

Others see it as a exersize in futility. And meaningless attempt to exploit the prodigy-du-jour for higher ticket sales and merchandising. Why is she there? There ARE professionals trying to earn a living. She nothing more than a distraction and a disgrace.

The greatest REAL drama is unfolding as we speak.

The success of shows like American Idol and FearFactor often confused me. But then I read that it was discovered that the public enjoys watching generally accepted "beautiful" people suffer and pretentious people be put in their place.

Someone call Simon Cowell

09/16/06 @ 05:10
Comment from: alan m [Visitor]
Michelle is not going to stop playing PGA events if she gets invites.
Privately she will not be surprised at coming last, why should she?
She understands that a 16 year old girl should always come last at a PGA event, but luckily for her she also understands the long term benefits of such competition.
If her goal is to play on the PGA these experiences are going to help her immensely when she goes to Q-school.
Playing on the LPGA, even if she was winning would not help her in the slightest in her quest to play on the PGA.
She will take positives away from this event. At the end of the first day she was in front of two Major winners, there aren’t too many 16 year olds could make that claim. Michelle is a smart kid and will be back next year a better player.

I am amused by the comments about the TV coverage. TV will play what they think the majority of the viewers want to see. They are in the entertainment business. They know people don’t want to watch her playing partners. Exactly the same happens when Tiger plays.
The next PGA event Wie competes in will be no different, she will still get all the attention, she will still draw in an extra 20,000 spectators. Get used to it.

Alex
I had a browse through the 9/11 blog. I was not surprised to see that you had nothing constructive to say. Your only contribution to any of these blogs is to belittle people and call them stupid.
I am really surprised that a high flying city lawyer has so much time to waste on pointless bloggs.

Alan m
09/16/06 @ 05:22
oh and Ghet,

um..

the whole "Wie Grinches" thing..

it's kinda obvious it's a response to the "Wie Warriors" nickname...

and thusly..

sorry,

quite...

um,

lame

Ya know that whole, um...

"lowering-yourself-to-their-level" thing

You're obviously a very smart and informed person. And you have consistently made good and valid points.

I'd even go as far as to suspect that you're actually one of the blog members undercover stiring up responses (a common ploy).

I dunno, it just seems unbecoming of you to do that (at least to me).

Ah but heck, if you don't think so, then cool.

What'll I know, I'm just as much of an idiot as everyone else. :)
09/16/06 @ 06:22
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
alan m, Several other Wie-wee's have tried to steal your thunder on these blogs, but you always come back, stronger and more clueless than ever. alan, you are the greatest! All hail alan, the Exalted Grand High Imperial Wizard of the Dum-dums! The Alan Cup will be yours forever!
09/16/06 @ 07:50
Comment from: Tom [Visitor]
After this latest disaster one would think Michelle Wie and her handlers would face harsh reality and set about re-focusing her goals to the more realistic. But endorsement money and the continued media frenzy insure this farce will last for the immediate future, or until sounder heads at the PGA prevail.

It doesn't help that Michelle has more excuses for her poor play than any truant teenager: it was too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy, the dog ate my homework. But even with climatic considerations taken into account, where are the booming drives that were going to instill awe and fear in the male players of the PGA tour? In the 84 Lumber Classic of the 138 players Michelle Wie's average driving distance placed next to last on the list (just ahead of a one-armed midget from Sheboygan.) Even with a legitimate 300 yard drive, Wie's game has a long way to go given her ham fisted touch on the putting green. Face it, there are infinately better putters on Golf-O-Rama miniture golf courses each and every Friday night.

Will any of the above matter? Nope.
09/16/06 @ 09:23
Comment from: Stop! [Visitor]
Forget about PGA. Even in LPGA, Birdie Kim is a major winner, and Bogey Wie is a major loser at best.
09/16/06 @ 11:13
Comment from: Kimo [Visitor]
[begin quote]
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
Seriously, this [Michelle Wie's participation in PGA tournaments] has got to be the best reality series not exploited by the major networks. The greatest REAL drama is unfolding as we speak. . . . Delisions of granduer is the most efficient method to make enemies. Or at the very least, people who enjoy watching you suffer. Someone call Simon Cowell 09/16/06 @ 05:10
[end quote]

Bad Joke, very creative. Well written. Although I do have to question your comment about the major -- and minor -- networks not exploiting Michelle's quest. I also question your selection of "the greatest REAL drama . . . unfolding as we speak." I've always felt that it takes two to drama -- performer and audience. So at least half (I'm inclined to think more than half, maybe 90%!) of the drama is taking place in the pit, or the spectator section, where we're sitting right now. The amount of time and energy we're burning up in these cheap seats belies the real center stage .
09/16/06 @ 11:35
Comment from: Michael [Visitor]
So how many people who have posted here have NOT been turned down by an Asian girl that they asked for a date in high school or college?

You men seem to be venting some supressed anger on this girl.
09/16/06 @ 12:41
Comment from: GrudensBrother [Visitor]
I find it interesting that this group wants to bash a 16-year-old girl for shooting an 81, but does not make an effort to attack any males who shoot poorly and will eventually lose their card. Why? Because the vast majority on here are sexist.

I am not suggesting that I think Michelle Wie's best path is playing on sponsor exemptions, but the vicious nature of the reactions are simply from men who likely are incapable of dealing with women. The insecurity is so evident.
09/16/06 @ 13:32
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
GrudensBrother, You gave yourself the answer to your own question. If a golfer on the PGA tour plays poorly and doesn't meet the guidelines set, he WILL lose his playing privileges, no if's, and's, or but's. But if Bubbles plays poorly on the PGA tour, she is rewarded with more sponsors' exemptions. That is what bothers some of Michelle's critics. There is nothing sexist about it. As for your amateurish attempt at clinical psychology, my advice is don't quit your day job. I don't no what being secure with women has to do with it, but if you think that I have any insecurity with females, you couldn't be more wrong. I've been happily married for 34 years.
09/16/06 @ 14:20
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
Yep Kimo, you are right! This drama is being hashed and rehashed within the minds of us, the audience. But the primer, the flame that has created so much interest, albeit only 10% of the volume holds more weight then the rest put together. It is essential for its creation, and fuel for its life.

For example, if Michelle were to enter a PGA event through the normal qualification procedures, then most naturally, whether she places first or last, she has earned her place and opportunity. But with a sponsor’s exemption, the prerequisite skills needed are thrown out the window, and an unearned shot at history is handed to Michelle.

Now lit, the drama now shifts to us, the audience where idea and opinions are shot back and forth. Can we generalize there is not one other woman who would want that chance at history? And that they’re unanimously comfortable with Michelle writing that history although she has not yet won an LPGA event? Etc.

Then Michelle’s post game interviews fuels the fire.

If Michelle starts winning LPGA events, honestly qualifying for PGA events, or stops placing herself higher than her skill level, then I’m sure most of the general public will lose interest.

Ah and to clarify about the "not exploiting", certainly the professional golf entities (the PGA, LPGA etc) and television networks broadcasting events are taking full advantage of public interest (both good and bad) surrounding Michelle Wie. However, this "drama", so to speak, just fell into their laps.

Reality Shows that plague our programming schedules have come a long way since MTV’s The Real World. Nowadays, Reality Shows are designed confrontations thought out by producers, story writers, and the creative staff of networks seeking budgets.

Let’s get two wildly eccentric families and exchange their mom’s. Let’s get a refined “proper” nanny to put those bratty kids in their place. Let’s get a group of attractive people cooped in a house, have them eliminate each other, and watch the fun. Etc.

But no one has brainstormed/manufactured Michelle Wie.

I make comments (kinda frequently) about “Let’s get Paris Hilton to say "That's Hot" when Michelle hits the ball”, because it’s that close to being a manufacture drama.

Sure I think Michelle is talented. But I do think she’s too immature to understand and appreciate all that is provided for her. I’m sure someday (perhaps after a paradigm shift, a few tears, and the building of strength to overcome) she will.

However, it wouldn’t surprise me, if suddenly there were a “Making the Champion” reality show where contestants fight over a multi-million dollar contract.

09/16/06 @ 15:08
Comment from: Tom [Visitor]
Alex, the incredulous part of this circus is that the public and the media dont't seem receptive to cold hard facts, falling back on the excuse she is "only sixteen" and in the midst of some sort of learning curve that at its conclusion will have Michelle Wie triumvirate wearing the Masters green jacket.

Grasping at sports analogies, I remember for years Michael Chang used to give post-mortem interviews with the press where he said he was going to practice more, harder, longer, and get some new revolutionary tennis racket. At matches he would place his head in a towel and practice some sort of "tennis Kung-Fu," whereupon he would emerge with a ferocious and determined look on his face. Invariably by the end of the match Chang would be run into the ground defeated by a taller, stronger, more powerful opponent. And yet the press seemed to revel in his unbowed, valient optimistic attitude.

Does the press support Michelle Wie even though there is a snowball's chance in Hades she will ever win a PGA tournement (or make a cut) simply BECAUSE she is a female with a plucky attitude? I think yes.
09/16/06 @ 16:54
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Tom, A good read for the Wie Warriors and other militant feminists would be the life and untimely demise of the great filly thoroughbred, Ruffian. She won all ten of her races against other fillies, some by as much as 15 lengths. In her only race against a colt, a match race against 1975 Kentucky Derby winner Foolish Pleasure, she broke down and had to be put down. Needless to say, there are no more such match races. Incidentally, the race was largely due to promotion and hype by the sports news media in concert with the militant feminists.
09/16/06 @ 18:34
Comment from: Kimo [Visitor]
Hey, Alex. Speaking of reads, required page-turner for this forum ought to be Stephen King's _The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon_. It's a thin novel, comes in paperback, readable in one or two sittings. You won't be able to put it down. And, BTW, it has everything to do with Michelle Wie.
09/16/06 @ 23:22
Comment from: JZ [Visitor]
Guys, What is all the hype about? She's a 16 year old girl that happens to be a Great golfer. She's 16! What were you doing when you were 16? Hustling the local cheerleaders? Dreaming about getting the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader's phone numbers? Oh, yeh, that is what the idiot who wrote this column is still dreaming about. Grow up! And let her grow up! Let's see what she will become. you aren't prophets; you can't see the future, and you certainly aren't in her shoes in front of thousands of people who scrutinize her every move. Live a DAY in her shoes and most of you would crumble, so shut up or put up!
09/16/06 @ 23:34
Comment from: JR [Visitor]
JZ... first off, she is not a great golfer, she has the POTENTIAL to become a very good professional golfer. Greatness usually comes after YEARS of WINNING... atleast let her win ONE pro tourney before proclaiming her "great". My issue used to be with just the fantatical MW fans who would proclaim her best ever yet when she fails to produce, the excuses start to rain down. So blogging here was comic relief. But now, I am starting to dislike the golfer herself. The non-stop excuses, not taking her job seriously (didn't prepare for Omega "cause I had school"), and finally, questionable lapses in judgement concerning rules enforcement. These all point to character issues which will work themselves out as she matures. So now, let her earn her way instead of having things given to her. Hey, if she gets into a PGA event through qualifying, good luck to her.
09/16/06 @ 23:52
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
A Sponsor's exemption is the only way Michelle can "qualify" to play a PGA event without being a tour member.

Monday "qualifying" is reserved for amateurs and non-exempt PGA card holders only.

The US Open would be the only event she could possibly "qualify" to play.

If Michelle is serious about playing on the men's PGA tour in the future she should join the Asian PGA tour first and test herself on shorter men's courses in Asia.

The Asian tour has fewer minimum events required and allows players to play more events outside the tour. This would cover her playing in the LPGA Major tournaments and also allow her to attend college.

Asian PGA tour courses are shorter than US courses, but they place a premium on short game play and putting. Michelle needs to improve in both areas.

09/17/06 @ 00:10
Comment from: alan m [Visitor]
Cheers Alex
You never fail to dissapoint.

Alan m
09/17/06 @ 00:55
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Kimo, I really don't care that much for fiction and especially that of Stephen King, but I'll give it a try. By the tenor of your posts, I surmised that you would be an avid reader of fiction.
09/17/06 @ 10:42
09/17/06 @ 10:49
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor]
Michelle Wie could also play a lot of golf in Asia without being a member of any one tour. There could be Asian, Japanese, Korean events. There is no certainty Michelle will follow through with her college plans. Remember Morhgan Pressel planned to go to Duke. Stanford is on the quarter system, so Michelle could attend just one quarter per year.
09/17/06 @ 11:50
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor]
"Stanford is on the quarter system, so Michelle could attend just one quarter per year."

It seems as if Bubbles has the PGA on the quarter system, too. All she need do to get invited back is play one quarter of the holes well.
09/17/06 @ 13:14
Comment from: Kimo [Visitor]
[begin quote]
09/17/06 @ 10:42
[end quote]

Alex, you won't regret it. And, hey, don't knock fiction. The best is always grounded in terra firma and tells us more about what it is to be human. Sports at its best comes close to good fiction: one foot in dirt and grass, and the other in dreams and possibilities. Aside from some tired plots (aimed at profits and movie deals), King's a writer. His best are focused on character rather than plot, and his characters, especially the young, hit close to home -- America, that is.
09/17/06 @ 13:58
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor]
MICHELLE WAS A BAD PUTTER...MICHELLE IS A BAD PUTTER...MICHELLE WILL ALWAYS BE A BAD PUTTER AND THIS WILL BE HER DOWNFALL ON ANY TOUR SHE PLAYS IN.
09/17/06 @ 14:48
Comment from: hapahaole [Visitor]
In analyzing the blogs about Michelle Wie and the accompanying comments, I have noticed the same handful of Wie naysayers contribute to every blog, like a "Wie Naysayer Clique". What is hilarious, is if you 8 or 10 naysayers DIDN'T contribute to the posts, there would be very few posts per blog.

Do you people REALLY think your rantings amongst yourselves will make a difference in where, when or what tour Michelle Wie plays on? If your continued posts are to entertain each other and perhaps relieve the angst of being powerless to induce change, then I can understand it. It sounds like good therapy for your small clique of whiners. Have fun and relieve the angst.
09/17/06 @ 20:42
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
"Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
One-Putt, That Asian Tour scenario that you proposed for Miss Wie sounds like an enormous amount of travel and a lot of tournament golf. Wouldn't such a demanding schedule put the kibosh to her education at Stanford and her avocation as a motivational public speaker?"

Alex my friend, you must get out more. The world is much smaller when traveling by private jet. The Asian Tour has a ten event minimum to hold a card and would not count conflicting LPGA Major events against Michelle, only men's events.

Sony and Nike both would love to see her play in Asia more (the largest emerging golf market on the planet) where she is accepted as one of their own and has a huge following.

In fact Alex in Japan women's events get twice the coverage of men's events. The JPGA would make any accomodations needed for Michelle to join their tour. The men's tour in Japan is fading and could use Michelle in the field at events to raise revenue, media exposure and prize money.

Michelle could easily balance college and her public speaking obligations around her Asian Tour schedule.

Three or four years on the Asian Tour would be enough to see if she has the game to compete on the PGA tour or if not she could easily join the LPGA tour. After all Alex she would only be 21 or 22 years of age when she graduates from Stanford with academic honors. Although she may hang around after graduation for some post graduate work.
09/18/06 @ 03:35
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
One-Putt, The world is much smaller when traveling by private jet? How so? Do private jets fly faster than commercial jets. Kindly explain that one, but keep it short.
09/18/06 @ 08:07
Comment from: Mike [Visitor]
Good God, what a bunch of neurotics. Nothing better to do than sit around and pick on a 16 year old girl. Your suffering from Baldwinism. Seek the 12 step program.

If you want to write about somebody, write about the biggest bum on the PGA tour: John Daly, Gambling addict, alcoholic, indebted to the IRS, his in laws and possibly spouse are drug dealers, but NO, oh John gets a pass everytime. Talk about a guy playing below potential. He doesn't practice, because he doesn't like it. He's hooked up with every scam on the internet and TV that will take him, but good old John. He'll come around.

Instead, you pick on a 16 year old kid who at least shows up and gives some effort. OK, so the big boys are eating her up right now, big deal, is it costing you anything?

I like the one from the clown that thinks he knows everything about Koreans and asians in general and says they like money and fame more than any other race, like I've seen white girls, blacks, or hispanic girls pass up money and fame.

The best line I've read here was from the Wie fan that basically said sit back and enjoy the ride. It's her decision what's she is doing appears to be important to her. If she fails, she fails, but at least she tried and should continue to try for the next few years.

The bottom line is that Michelle Wie is upsetting the apple cart that nobody else since Zacharis has been willing to do. This is when you see the true bigots come out.Oh there clever, with openings like " I don't mean for this to sound racists, or sexist" but in fact you are. Half of you are so terrified that she might actually win someday that you spend an enormous amount of energy running her down and demoralizing her so that she is guaranteed not to win. She is good for the game right now. She brings something to the sport thats unique. Enjoy and quit being so stuffy about it and lighten up.
09/18/06 @ 09:20
Comment from: jaypee [Visitor]
I think what we are all picking on, is the marketing machine, the corporate image builders. They are "branding" their product and telling us she is good enough to do this and will even go on to higher achievements. We all know it is not true and we all have to endure watching 55 of her 81 shots when we are just trying to watch a golf tournament. As far as watching a 76 to 84 score, I can watch my own game every weekend.

However, we know the machine will keep on hammering the message (Wag the dog ?)
09/18/06 @ 11:33
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Mike is an excellent example of how the Wie Wannabes have changed tactics. It used to be: "You just wait, she's going to make the men's cut in this or that tournament," or "you just wait, she'll be playing the Matsers or Ryder Cup" or whatever.

But, since she has shown herself to be obviously incapable of playing with the men, and deeply humiliating herself in the process, now it's stuff like "Hey, don't you have anything better to do than pick on a 16-year-old girl?"

And/or trying to deflect attention from her woes by pulling out the old John Daly card, or some such thing. Or blaming her pathetic golf and even more pathetic excuses on the media and/or her critics. It's obvious and it's old.

I can guarantee that if she had made a cut, unlikely as that is, these are the same people who would be screaming she isn't getting enough attention.
09/18/06 @ 12:41
Comment from: Bill [Visitor]
Mike, JD admits he has a problem inhis book. John is down to earth people who has many problems. difference in JD and MW is JD has two majors, MW has millions for doing nothing but crying...
09/18/06 @ 13:53
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
Michelle has made one pro men's cut and has been close in several other events.
She is only sixteen. Gipper Finau is the only other teenager who, in the past 50
years, has achieved this. TV is a pure democracy. The majority rules. If the
big audiences tune in by the millions to see Wie, it is Wie they shall see. If
they start tuning in (by the millions) to see Curtis, Howell, Quigley, Purdy,
etc., then these guys will be featured. There's no free lunch. If the networks and
sponsors don't show what the vast majority wants, the vast majority flips to one of
the other 200+ channels. Jaypee, if you want TV for nothin' (or next to nothin'),
then you get to watch Wie. However, if you want to watch another favorite, its easy...
hop on a plane, buy a ticket, and follow your favorite around the course to your
heart's content.
09/18/06 @ 14:34
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
One-Putt, For all the worldly knowledge of the Grinches, it is obvious
some of them have never travelled by private jet. HUGE difference. Hours and
hours are spent on commercial flights on parking at airports, security checks, waiting for delayed
flights, making connections etc. On a private jet, one drives directly up to the
plane, boards, and is airborne within 4 or 5 minutes... on arrival, you're unpacked
and on the road in a couple minutes. One can often be in the hotel at the chosen destination
before the alternative commercial flight leave the gate of origin. I would imagine
that tournament sponsors (or other sponsors) would be more than willing to pick up
the tab.
09/18/06 @ 16:13
Comment from: life is too short [Visitor]
Who is more pathetic, Michelle Wie fanatics or detractors?

If you look forward to years of happiness brought by watching Michelle Wie or anybody else play golf you need more hobbies and probably a girlfriend.

If you can't wait to run to your computer and mock Michelle Wie everytime she plays badly you also need a life and probably a soul.

I watch sports and have favorite teams and even players that I cheer for--Whether my teams win or lose I turn of the TV and go play with my sons, eat with my family, go to church, hit golf balls, whatever. I don't give it another thought--Do you know why, because my self-worth and identity are not wrapped up in how a 16 year-old girl plays golf or how a 22 year-old kid throws a football. Maybe some of you folks should think about why you are getting so upset and worked up over an athlete. Michelle Wie might be a legend, she might be a flop or more likely she might just be really good. Who cares???
09/18/06 @ 17:18
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
life is too short [visitor]

Why do you care what others enjoy? And if you have a young wife and young
sons, why the hell are you wasting time reading about things on your computer
that you don't even care about? Congratulations on your self-worth and all, but
for God's sake, flip off the computer and spend every precious second you can
with your young wife and with your boys - there's no excuse for you fritterin' away your
family's time here with us.
09/18/06 @ 17:58
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
With Ghet RHeel, life is too short, and Mike blogging away, we need Oprah to referee this thread.
09/18/06 @ 18:24
Comment from: Randy Hebert [Visitor]
This is for one putt, Monday qualifying is open to all professinals and amatuers with a USGA handicap of 2 or less. Not just non exempt players. See #6 in the link.

09/18/06 @ 18:31
Comment from: Mike [Visitor]
Thanks Tim

Your response was so predicable I didn't even have to finish your non sense reply. The John Daly card? what the heck is that about? Or is he just to big for you to take on. Keep picking on little girls Mac. Makes a real man out of you.
09/18/06 @ 19:04
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Talk about predictable, this is another familiar tactic Mike and his fawning ilk use on a regular basis. The old "picking on" Wie spiel. Sometimes they refer to her as a "little girl," as in the above example, to make it seem particularly hideous, as if it were something other than critiquing a professional athlete, which is what she is, regardless of her age.

When you turn pro, and accept $10 gazillion from a corporate sponsor, and declare to the world you're as good as the men, and make ludicrous claims about playing in the Masters and Ryder Cup, only to fail miserablty, sorry, but you lose the untouchable, "little girl" lable.

09/18/06 @ 19:47
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor]
Tim,

We've often had some serious disagreements, but the above was perfectly put. I couldn't agree more.
09/18/06 @ 20:00
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
Tim
Michelle Wie, sixteen, is one of the most important people in the golf
industry. You, middle-aged, are one of the most unimportant people in the golf
industry. That considered, perhaps we can forgive you for your boorish behavior.
09/18/06 @ 20:12
Comment from: JR [Visitor]
Ghet Rheel... do you even play golf???
09/18/06 @ 23:13
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
JR
Yeah, I play golf. Do you have any concept of professional golf?

Your statement would indicate otherwise:
"So now, let her earn her way instead of having things given to her.
Hey, if she gets into a PGA event through qualifying,
good luck to her."

I hate to break this to ya JR, but professional golf is a business. (and Santa Claus
ain't real... and Michelle ain't goin' to Q-School). Nothing's being "given" to Michelle. She's a big time Rain-Maker. She's right next to Tiger Woods in that department. She brings BIG BUCKS to the
business of golf and she gets treated like a VIP (which she is) in return. She gets to hone her
skills at almost any PGA venue she chooses. Is it FAIR? Who knows. But its REAL. Get used to it.

09/18/06 @ 23:57
Comment from: Kimo [Visitor]
Ghet, I like that -- "She's a big time Rain-Maker." And that is RHEEL!
09/19/06 @ 01:09
Comment from: Kimo [Visitor]
"We need Oprah to referee this thread." Alex, you've messed with my head, and now I can't get rid of the image of Oprah watching over us. She's shaking her head, guffawing in her deep voice, and having a good time at our expense. Heck, we get no respect!
09/19/06 @ 01:18
Comment from: Rich Anderson [Visitor]
I find Michelle Wie totally entertaining. Heat exhaustion, cheating, fired caddies, multiple dead-last finishes, all followed by the chanting of her weekly mantra, "I'm only 16". Personally, I think a fist-fight with Morgan Pressel is imminent.
09/19/06 @ 01:37
Comment from: JoeR [Visitor] Email
Ghet Rheel, you should get real actually. Your lecturing of people on this thread is humerous.

MW has been the object of curiosity and a teen phenom because of her potential. Unless she actually does something the curiosity will fade and she will join the long list of "teen phenoms" that never fulfilled their potential. They simply fade away into oblivion.

When this happens sponsors are not willing to waste money anymore. So far MW has "paid her way" because of her potential. I am one who does not agree with the non traditional path she and her family have chosen and I do believe she will not achieve the success her ability would justify. I think she will burnout before her time and will not even attain the level of success on the LPGA Tour that she might if she had chosen more of the Tiger like traditional path in competition.

Of course only time will tell but so far I am disappointed with her silly comments as she continues to fall further from achieving any success. She acted better when she was 13 years old. Now she has handlers who dictate what can or cannot be said.

Of course if money in the bank is the measure of success then she has made it already. If the number of majors won, total number of tournaments won are the measure of historical greatness in golf then I think she will disappoint many people.
09/19/06 @ 10:51
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Rich -
Cheating? You believe that crap from Bamberger? Are you that naive? And multiple dead-last? Aren't you forgetting about the ten pros who dove out of the 84 after piling up big scores? She IS only sixteen... if you don't understand the significance of that then you don't have a grasp on the history of professional golf.

Oh, and forget about the imminent fist-fight with Pressel... Pressel would kick your butt.
09/19/06 @ 13:38
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
"Comment from: Randy Hebert [Visitor]

Let me modify what I stated Randy for the 2007 season. Monday qualifying will still be possible for Non-Exempt tour players and tournament alternates. Nationwide players are also able to enter monday qualifying. All other professionals and amateurs will have to pass thru an earlier Pre-qualification round where the top two finishers move onto the monday qualifying round.

I don't expect many professionals or amateurs will enter these pre-qualifying rounds held the week prior to an event unless they are locals.

The PGA link you referenced will be updated in the future.
09/19/06 @ 20:54
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
"Comment from: Rich Anderson [Visitor]

09/19/06 @ 01:37"

I'm sure Morgan could do damage to Michelle's shins in a fist fight. :-)

Maybe Morgan could hire a bucket truck, so she can look at Michelle in the eyes.
09/19/06 @ 21:03
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor] Email
"Comment from: Alex [Visitor]

09/18/06 @ 08:07"

I think Gheet Real answered your question Alex. Of course Gheet left out a few things, such as a bed in the back, shower and the ability to have the food you like boarded. Clearing immigration and customs at plane side is a nice bonus that saves hours. But the best thing of all is firing up a good cigar with a snifter of brandy after a meal.
09/19/06 @ 21:20
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor] Email
Fun thread :) Thanks Tim!
09/20/06 @ 19:12
Comment from: Laughing out loud [Visitor] Email
This site has always been good for a few good laughs, but One-Putt's latest post has to take the cake. So we are to believe that you are among the top 1/10 of the top 1% who routinely travel via corporate or private jet. You of army infantry or "tunnel rat" fame have gone on to live a life of wealth and fame, enjoying the finer things in life such as a good cigar(no doubt Cuban) and a fine Brandy (Hennessy Paradis perhaps) aboard your private jet--not just any private jet, but one outfitted with shower and bed, presumably a custom Gulfstream G-IV SP or perhaps a Boeing BBJ. Thank you for answering the age old question about what the enourmously wealthy do in their free time, they argue the golfing career of 16 year-old girls with the commoners. Thank you for gracing us with your worldy insight and knowledge. I so look forward to next weeks lesson on which Aston Martin to choose for driving up the Pacific Coast Highway from L.A. to Malibu, the DB-( or the Vanquish.
09/21/06 @ 11:06
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
OK, One-Putt may be furious with me for spilling the beans, but private jets are often more far economical than commercial travel. Particularly groups of 4 to 12 people traveling with less than two weeks notice.

Your group traveling from Boston to Akron for two-hour meeting at 9 AM? Want to make quick stops in Syracuse and Albany coming home? Want to do it all in one day by private jet? No problem. Try making that trip on commercial airlines.

Look in the yellow pages, they rent by the hour.
09/21/06 @ 14:03
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Ghet Rheel, What make and model is Phil Knight's private jet? How "economical" is its fuel consumption? What is the number of people in Bubbles' usual entourage in Phil's private jet? What about the PC crowd? Will they be up in arms when they discover that Bubbles, as well as others, flies privately to something as frivolous as a golf tournament? I'm asking you because you always have all the answers concerning Bubbles.
09/21/06 @ 15:16
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Professional golfers, as we all know, have been flying on private jets for decades. However, once word that Michelle uses them leaks out, I'm sure there will be a scandal of monumental proportions.

This could be HUGE !! Bigger than dismissing a caddy, or incurring a penalty in a sand trap ! Tim, here's your chance to break another BIG story !
09/22/06 @ 01:38
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Ghet Rheel, Just as I figured. You can't give answers to simple questions. Yet you give out all sorts of gibberish about Astroturf conspiracy and your favorite subject, alleged racism. To put it in my best prep school manner, you, sir, are a three-star phony.
09/22/06 @ 08:01
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Hmmm. In Alex's male-believe-world, it seems that I do not measure up to his expectations... I take some comfort in knowing that.
09/22/06 @ 18:24
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Should read make-believe-world.

By the way Alex, you really "showed your ass" on the private jet thing.
09/22/06 @ 18:28
Comment from: Halster [Visitor] Email
I really enjoy your interaction in this blog. I live on Oahu and am in the minority of not being a Wie-wee fan. Any talent from here is supported like the engine that could. Look at Jasmine Trias of American Idol infamy. How many Filipinos can speed dial? Then there's Timmy Chang of the Quarterback that can't. There you have it.

But MW is laughing all the way to the bank at our and the media's expense. "Everybody knows that my goal is to play in the Masters". Yeah, so is mine but more importantly that it is for many serious PGA players. MW was originally a phenom at her tender young age. Now she's the star of cashing in with no talent, ala Paris Hilton.

Yeah, we're all enjoying this like the demise of William Hung on American Idol, even though he walked away with his 5 $econds of fame. But all the pics and Google stories lately is of MW failing miserably. Her handlers and Nike need a wake up call like hedge fund managers who know when a bet goes awry.
09/23/06 @ 01:59
Comment from: Veritas [Visitor] Email
Ghet,

I don't know about you. First you write "MALE-believe-world," and now you're talking about Alex's posterior.

Alex, you'd better watch your back around this quiff.
09/23/06 @ 02:02
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Halster? Veritas? Looks like Alex has his sock puppets out again.
09/23/06 @ 05:32
Comment from: Bad Joke [Visitor]
No Halster is right. I live on Oahu too and it's blastphamy not to love LOOOVE LOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!! Michelle Wie here.
09/23/06 @ 07:15
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Loved on Oahu? Why wouldn't she be. Michelle is the most popular female golfer in the world.
09/23/06 @ 19:18
Comment from: Had_It [Visitor] Email
I HAVE had it. Reading these blogs is a
sorry journey through the dark side of
the human soul. Yes, there are some good
and reasonable people here, and on related
blogs about Michelle Wie, but the main
message that comes through all too loud
is the pathetic need of so many to take
joy in tearing apart a 16 year old super
talented athlete we should all be wishing
well. Michelle Wie's upbeat rendering
of her recent performances may piss
you off, but she is just trying to
keep her head above water like EVERY other golfer when
they play badly --- including Tiger.
Paula Creamer has enough class to not
want to be put in opposition to MW, so
let's just stop this now.

Michelle Wie's play is going downhill so
rapidly that I wonder whether her
confidence is already severely broken.
Look folks, what we want is for her to do
well, and all of the preying media and bloggers
should think carefully about
contributing to the undoing of anyone
with this much talent, whether MW, PC,
or MP, or whoever. She is in trouble, and
needs good advice, the right help, and to
clear her head --- because the only
thing left in the way of her blowing
everyone off the course is her head (see
last round performances under pressure),
and that is the most fragile part of the
game, right? In the meantime, stop
revelling in her failures.

One more thing: if you respond to this
with a blizzard of passive-aggressive
crap thrown at me, you will have missed
the point.
10/16/06 @ 20:53
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Had it -- your point is no different from the thousands of other Wie worshippers, that your little gal is above reproach. Here's a point you have clearly missed: she is not above it. She will continue to be scrutinized, as well she should, since she has taken on such a course of action, that has consequences for others. Take your blinders off.
10/17/06 @ 17:31

Dates: April 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Stay & Play packages available at Covered Bridge Golf Club with local hotels in the area starting as low as $104.96/person. Packages include 18 holes with cart at either course, one night's lodging, and continental breakfast.