« Tiger Woods the architect isn't exactly doing his part, yet, to help make golf affordable for the massesNick Faldo: TaylorMade huckster? »

Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
Tim,
You refer to Castro as just "one of the guys." Castro is a brutal dictator who has been responsible for thousands of murders and putting thousands of people in prison simply for disagreeing with him. There will never be a change in Cuba because the hard line communists that are in power want to remain in power. Dictatorial rule is all that the Cubans understand and unfortunately it is not going to change any time soon. Even in that society you have the "haves" and the "have nots."
02/26/08 @ 21:12
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
"build quality, affordable courses for the working people."

Even if these affordable courses ran $3 a round, it would still be out of reach for most Cubans. They need to bring some dollars in from somewhere--i.e., tourists, and build an economy before regular working people will be able to afford much of anything.

02/27/08 @ 09:54
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
WoW....once again, I find myself in agreement with JM. Third time this month (heck, third time this YEAR).

Really Tim - the bulk of the population in Cuba is beyond dirt poor. The country is going to need a whole HECK of a lot of changes before they're ready for 'affordable golf'!

Joe Cool is also 100% correct - unless the government changes from communist dictatorship they aren't going to get much help/sympathy from the rest of the world. It's a philosophy that's been proved doesn't work.
02/27/08 @ 10:49
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Ah, the old "trickle-down" theory.

I've heard it before.

I've been to a lot of third-world countries that followed that policy. I NEVER saw any common folk playing
02/27/08 @ 11:40
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
BV, I think you'd be surprised by the things we agree on.

I was in Cuba a few years ago and the average working person there can't afford a bar of soap, let alone a round of golf.

While Tim is right about the lack of average citizens playing golf in third-world countries, it's a stretch to say it's the application of trickle-down economics that's to blame.

02/27/08 @ 12:06
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor] Email
Actually, there are a good number of tourists in Cuba: Europeans & Canadians in particular.
Their governments don't limit their freedom
to travel, as does the US to its citizens.
European governments and businesses are also happy to invest in Cuba, and would be more so, if not threatened with economic sanctions by the US.

I agree that changing economic policy is critical to brining golf to Cuba (and raising the people's standard of living). However,
a key to change is US involvement in Cuba (as it has been in China, Vietnam, and Cambodia, for example. Calling it a "brutal Communist dictatorship" and throwing our hands in the air (or hiring more CIA hitmen) does not constitute an effective foreign policy.
02/27/08 @ 12:27
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Well, what certainly doesn't work is when there's nothing to trickle down.
02/27/08 @ 13:44
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
Kiel,
Exactly what would you call Cuba, Paradise Island?
02/27/08 @ 19:27
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor] Email
Not even close. And nothing I said
suggests that I would.
02/27/08 @ 20:29
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
I've heard many many arguments about why we treat China and Vietnam differently than we do Cuba.

What it boils down to is: they are 10000 miles away, and Cuba is <100. Hopefully no one [aside from our resident communists MON, WOLFIE, and KIEL] wants a repressive communist dictatorship within spitting distance of our borders...do they? Those three won't be happy till we have one HERE!

Tim - yes, there HAS to be economic 'trickle-down' because ALL of the capital and 'power' in a communist country is held AT THE TOP. "duh"

Jen, you may be right...now just don't go off your stride like the sad old 'ronmon' blogger has! ;)
02/28/08 @ 14:04
Comment from: tim [Visitor] Email
BV, I was talking about the trickle-down economic theory popularly associated with Ronald Reagan.

That's here in the U.S.

Didn't work, by the way.
02/28/08 @ 14:29
Comment from: tim [Visitor] Email
"Live poor, vote rich."

I hadn't heard that one. I like it.
02/29/08 @ 07:28
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Trickle-down isn't a theory, but a fact. It did work, and it does work. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Class is dismissed.
02/29/08 @ 11:56
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Yeah, that's why the U.S. economy is in such great shape.
02/29/08 @ 13:13
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Tim, Tim, Tim, we've had almost continuous economic expansion since we dispensed with Peanut Brain and elected Reagan. Yes, there have been one or two minor recessions, but they've amounted to no more than blips on the radar screen.
03/01/08 @ 09:23
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
Kiel,

You watch too many movies. Stay away from the Hollywood set!
03/01/08 @ 10:08
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Joe,

Listen, if you take a Hollywood star, take away the money, fame, high lifestyle, attractiveness, polish and talent, what have you got?

Kiel.
03/02/08 @ 11:04
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
You have a man who doesn't feel emasculated by a humourous blog, that's what.
03/02/08 @ 14:24
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Tim and Kiel,

The former satellites of the USSR such as Poland, the Czech and Slovak Republics, Slovenia and Croatia are experiencing unprecedented growth and prosperity.

In contrast, Cuba, once known as the "Pearl of the Antilles," is sinking deeper into poverty, and is now a third world hellhole.

Why do you folks think this is?

Alex USMC 1969-73
03/03/08 @ 11:54
Comment from: tim [Visitor] Email
Alex, read Kiel.

I don't have the time to repeat it.

Also, read UK Wendy.

03/03/08 @ 13:12
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Tim,

Since you don't have an answer for mu question, I'll give you the reasons.

Poland, the Czech and Slovak Republics, Slovenia and Croatia grew weary of the disastrous economic policies of their slavemaster, the USSR. They chose instead the "trickle down" policies which you so mistakenly despise.

Cuba, by contrast, continues to adhere to the policies of their former benefactor.

The results are apparent.

Alex USMC 1969-73
03/03/08 @ 13:28
Comment from: tim [Visitor] Email
Why are you responding to this in the middle of the day?

Don't you have a job?

Or have you so benefitted by the trickle down system you don't have to work?

03/03/08 @ 13:36
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Tim,

Soon to be retired, after a lifetime of work and benefiting from trickle down economics. Just winding down my remaining cases. Not much to do until May 1.

Incidentally, Tim, what other kind of economic policies are possible in the real world?

Investors must try to recoup their investment, and try for a profit, or they won't be investors for very long.

And their employees, if they have any, must by law be paid their wages first and foremost. Or is that your definition of tricklin down?

Alex USMC 1969-73
03/03/08 @ 13:49
Comment from: tim [Visitor] Email
Well, here's one policy that would help.

You say "soon to be retired." Yet you're still working. Are you getting a full-time pay check?

My first act as President would be to make sure government employees be paid at a part-time rate if they're working part-time.

After all, it is us -- the taxpayers -- who are paying your salary.

I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Please provide the name and contact number of your immediate supervisor.

03/03/08 @ 13:58
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Tim,

Sorry son, I work for a private firm of which I am a full partner. No government work here.

What's your excuse?

Alex USMC 1969-73
03/03/08 @ 14:59
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
OK, just checking. For the good of the American people.

03/03/08 @ 15:12
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Tim,

Using your criterion, there would be no more sick days, personal days, etc in the future for government workers. I agree.

Also, Hillary, Barack, the Kook, John Mc, and the rest should be docked for their prolonged absence from the halls of Congress. On this we agree again.

Alex USMC 1969-73

03/03/08 @ 15:48
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Hey, Tim, I'd like to know how it is that you can respond in the middle of the day.

Oh, and before you ask about yours truly, I'll head it off at the pass and mention that I make my own hours -- sort of how leftist make up their own facts.
03/03/08 @ 16:50
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Same here, your Lordship.

I make my own hours, just like I make good sense.

Also, when I write these gems, I'm actually getting paid for it.

He or she who makes the most sarcastic follow-up to the last statement wins a small gift card.

It must meet my standards, however, for me to pay the cost of shipping.

03/03/08 @ 17:15
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Any gift card being sent by a flaming liberal of necessity would indeed be small.

Tim, they say a sucker is born every minute.

If that's the case, the guy paying you for these gems should have been twins.

Alex USMC 1969-73
03/03/08 @ 17:34
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
I'm visualising a group hug between you three. I tried the last two words for American terminology, but can't crack it. You'all? Yo'all Y'all? Give up. Must study more Boo W.

What was the title of this blog again? And more importantly - how does one alter the typeprint for emphasis (Judge - this will save me using capitals , female exclamation points, smiley faces, etc, - not that I have EVER done the latter).
03/03/08 @ 18:27
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Wendy, "ya'll" would fit nicely there and I'd love to hear you say it -- I can even "hear" the British accent in print.

I'm from the deep South, by the way, so I know my "ya'lls."

What the hell was this blog about? Oh yeah, Castro.

Alex, not bad, but you're the leader only by default. You must not have submitted any of those articles to humor magazines.

Uh-oh, I just cross-blogged, which is a little like cross-pollinization...

03/03/08 @ 21:14
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email

I'm from the deep South, by the way, so I know my "ya'lls."

What the hell was this blog about? Oh yeah, Castro.

Uh-oh, I just cross-blogged, which is a little like cross-pollinization...

03/03/08 @ 21:21
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Then I shall cross-blog too.

It's OK Alex - I can take a hint - just popping out to get you a birthday card.
03/04/08 @ 05:51
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Two posts? Is this a "deja vu" a-la the Matrix? Well, that would explain liberalism and World Golf writers. Tim could be a sentient program. Then again, he may just be a senescent program.
03/04/08 @ 09:41
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
Good heavens. Just revisited this post, and am stunned/saddened by the post of 'Joe Fool' and 'Tim'.

Tim points out that trickle-down is a "US economics" term, as if that somehow precludes its employment as regards another country/system. Sad.

Joe Fool sends us off to wikipedia and when we get there, we discover what was ORIGINALLY posted is vindicated. How sad is THAT?

By the way - Wendy - the correct structure is y'all....at least where literate Southern folks congregate...unlike the backwood swamps SOME people inhabit.
03/04/08 @ 11:19
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Oh no, BV, I've been practising my "ya'lls" for simply ages and now you tell me it's "y'all" (although they both seem to come out as "yawl" when I say them). By the way, with your recent criticism of RonMon I was surprised and a little disappointed that you didn't take the opportunity to praise him for his recent articulate (I normally only understand 10% of what he says) and insightful blog. Something to do with his pet llama - didn't quite catch it's name. Sorry, Ron, but you did say you would get back to me on a totally different subject.

Oh hello, Tim, how are you today?

03/04/08 @ 12:37
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Now, now Judge - it was Curtis who made the ageist remark to you. I am sure Tim, like you, is a fine figure of a man and much desired by women. (He did once call me a Camellia japonica - or some such, so I may be a little biased here).

I'll take both your words for it. You wouldn't lie to me, would you?
03/04/08 @ 13:14
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
I think it's pretty obvious from my photo that women would be drawn to me.

03/04/08 @ 16:13
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Wendy,

I never lie to women. The truth gives them the best possible impression of me anyway. Mine is a story that needs no embellishment.

Tim,

You must be speaking of how they'd be moved to pity.
03/05/08 @ 10:51
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Any woman drawn to Tim should be drawn and quartered.
03/05/08 @ 11:52
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Oh dear. I take it that a group hug is not on the cards then?
03/05/08 @ 12:17
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Ask Alex and the Judge. They specialize in that sort of thing.

But, only with each other.

Sorry, Wendy.

03/05/08 @ 17:57
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Tim,

Weak, very weak.

Alex USMC 1969-73
03/05/08 @ 18:02
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
Wendy -

I did in fact leave a very positive comment for Ronmon on his post that mentioned Jim Thorpe. Unlike the leftist folks, I'm perfectly content giving credit where it's due.

You've got the pronunciation down fine, it's the writing of y'all that was at issue. I've honestly never seen it spelled the way Tim did. Possibly he was "stretching the envelope of language" ala Ronmon?
03/10/08 @ 13:30
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
You're right, I did spell it wrong.

Unusual for me, because I was the Landon Junior High School spelling bee champion.
03/10/08 @ 16:08
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
BV - I didn't mean to be taken literally. That was supposed to be my little dig at Ron for accidentally posting an empty blog which he blamed on his "swearword" pet llama. You just missed the opportunity to slag him off again. He took the ribbing in very good part, however, from those of us who did catch it.

I don't suppose for one moment that "Y'all" figured in the Landon Junior High School spelling bee, Tim, but if I find out you were deliberately leading me astray, there will be no Cuban cigar for you. Don't you just love tangents?

03/10/08 @ 16:44

Dates: September 22, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Stay at Esplandor Resort and get out and enjoy 18 relaxing holes of some of the best golf in southern Arizona on our Rio Rico Robert Trent Jones Sr. designed golf course.