« Worms, not Arnold Palmer, have Tiger Woods peevedThe plague of slow play – blame the pros »

Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
I thought Americans were free of the "Tall Poppy Syndrome"? In the last Ryder Cup singles he said "Follow me men" and then looked behind him on the 5th and there was no-one there, but went ahead and won anyway. A good man, an honest one, not least about himself, who doesn't need or deserve taking down in this way. If only he could play for himself the way he has done for his country - unlike a couple of others of his more successful compatriots perhaps.
03/10/08 @ 17:40
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Well-said, Wendy, but here's another American trait: We call it like it is, baby.

03/11/08 @ 06:27
Comment from: Ross [Visitor] Email
The expectations for Norman were so much greater and most of the time he couldn't take the pressure. Cink has been a very good journeymen golfer who has made a good living at it. Something like Tom Kite, but I don't think the expectations were ever there for him to be a super star like Norman was.
03/11/08 @ 08:17
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Tim,

Unfortunately, because of political correctness, we don't. Call it like it is, that is.
03/11/08 @ 08:22
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
If Cink had won half those tournaments he blew late, he'd be a much bigger name.
03/11/08 @ 08:32
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
I'm a realist, Tim, (most of the time anyway) but it was your tone of glee which got to me.
03/11/08 @ 09:45
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Wendy, don't try to tell me that watching someone else's utter collapse and humiliation doesn't touch a "funny nerve" somewhere deep in your psyche.

You feel for them at first, but the worse it gets, the more compelling it becomes.

03/11/08 @ 10:42
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Absolutely not! At least you are honest about how you feel, but as a fan of Stewart Cink's I felt only empathy. I think "utter collapse and humiliation" is an overstatement anyway. His overly-deferential attitude to TW in the WGC exasperated me more, particularly in view of the people he had already taken out. Although I'm not a particular fan of Greg Norman, I felt for him too at what was surely "utter collapse and humiliation" at the hands of Nick Faldo.

Perhaps "call it as you see it" might be more accurate.
03/11/08 @ 12:59
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Oh - last remark applies to Judge Smails too. Not that I have a problem with calling it as you see it. Just can tell the difference between that and "as it is".
03/11/08 @ 14:27
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Cink's overly deferential attitude to Woods sickened me, too. Why not just get down on your hands and knees and grovel?

For god's sake, you're a competitor, man. Act like one.

As for dismal failures, Wendy, be honest with yourself, you get a certain thrill at seeing human misery when experienced by pampered, too-rich athletes.

Come on, set yourself free.

03/11/08 @ 14:50
Comment from: TigerWorshipBad [Visitor] Email

I think Vijay (see link above) and Phil are the only ones who don't praise Woods or hope to get invited to his party. Sean O'hair just said in his blog that it was cool to get a call from Tiger -- so he is clearly not going to be challenging Tiger anytime soon.
03/11/08 @ 22:47
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Get thee behind me, Tim McDonald, you soul-less Philistine - you're not taking me to hell with you.

"TigerWorshipBad"

I don't think Cabrera is in total awe of him either. It's not in his nature - but having the game is a different matter.
03/12/08 @ 05:25
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
Wendy - "perception is reality" is a major factor here. If what Tim believes is "his reality" - then "calling it as it is" is perfectly acceptable. ;)

Tim, Judge - how long do you think we'd keep even the LIMITED amout of vocal freedom we if we somehow elect either Billary or B Hussein Obama?
03/12/08 @ 11:08
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
BV,

I can answer your last question.

Unless the Second Amendment to the US Constitution is repealed, and all privately owned firearms are confiscated, all Americans will be able to exercise the right of freedom of speech.

If the Second Amendment is repealed, the validity of all the rest of the rights delineated in the Constitutin will be summarily negated.

Alex USMC 1969-73
03/12/08 @ 12:04
Comment from: nannie [Visitor]
This is a few days late, but thought I'd comment anyway.

I agree with the initial comments of Wendy and Ross regarding Cink as "good guy" and less expectations. Also, perhaps because Cink is not as flamboyant as Norman, people/media are not as over the top critical of Cink when he loses after leading late. I hope with his soul searching, he can overcome and take a lead to the victory stand!

"I'm tired of these so-called athletes groveling at the feet of Woods. Who's going to be a man and stand up to him?" - Tim

I'm tired of the media groveling and fawning all over Woods all of the time. It's a given what a talented player both athletically and mentally that Woods is. Yet, the media constantly asks players about Woods and how good he is. Then when a player speaks out about wanting to go head to head with Tiger or suggesting he is beatable, the media blasts that player relentlessly. Comments are often taken out of context by fans who jump on the relentlessly critical and name calling bandwagon.
03/15/08 @ 07:48

Dates: October 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Book a minimum two-night stay at ARIA Resort & Casino and receive up to 20% off your stay and 40% Off Golf rates at 2 of Las Vegas' most unique and exciting golf courses – Royal Links Golf Club and Bali Hai Golf Club.