« The Landings in Savannah has idyllic island location and great golfWho's No. 1? Cuscowilla or Reynolds Plantation? »

Comment from: 2under [Visitor] Email
Jack is the better player, until such time that Tiger reaches 21 majors.

Why not 18, you ask?

Jack was a much better Ryder Cup player, and played golf on a more frequent basis, with fewer of the amenities Tiger now benefits from.

I think 3 majors makes up for it.

That being said, I think Tiger will surpass 21 majors, and be the best to this point in time. I think he has more talent than Jack. But let's see if he has his longevity...
03/31/08 @ 21:36
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
Being old enough to have been around for Jack's entire career as well as Tiger's I would say that Jack ( and Ben Hogan ) were better ball strikers than Tiger but Woods has a magic about him that no one has ever had on and around the green, especially under pressure, that makes him the best by a mile. This isn't even a discussion anymore.
04/01/08 @ 00:55
Comment from: John D [Visitor]
Jack is the better. Jack has accomplished wins, records, etc.

Tigger has not, although he may break Jack's records someday, but then again, tomorrow he could be hit by a bread truck.
04/02/08 @ 18:26
Comment from: 2under [Visitor] Email
A better argument would probably be which player has the most talent.

In the running:

Snead (Sam, that is. Not J.C.)- except for a balky putter
Nelson
Miller - balky putter
Weiskopf

Others?

And Oliver, I don't argue Hogan. But Jack had a wayward driver, just like Woods. Maybe not to quite the same degree, but similar. I think Jack was a great ball-striker, but I do beleive Tiger is every bit his equal. Tiger is a better bunker player. Jack hit very high long irons - Tiger can do the same. Tiger is an amazing short-iron player. And he can hit an incredible 3 wood. So at worst, in my book, they net out equal.

There's a story about Hogan's persimmon driver. Many pro's tried to hit it and couldn't. The only pro who could hit it well, aside from Hogan, was Tiger Woods.
04/02/08 @ 19:01
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
No one has made as many big putts as Tiger or hit as many clutch shots. It's just downright scary. If he retired tomorrow I'd still say he was the best ever. And while it's true Tiger can hit any shot his ball striking is inconsistant. It's his magic short game and ability to hit amazing clutch iron shots. I often say "Tiger makes the lowest possible score on every hole from wherever he hits it". People like Woody Austin and Sabbatini get the media all excited when they say they played better than Tiger or Tiger is beatable but these statements seem true except when the score is tallied Tiger usually wins. Golf isn't about hitting beautiful drives, iron shots, chips, and putts. Golf is about the lowest score.
04/03/08 @ 01:15
Comment from: Scott Tucker [Visitor] Email
Jack had a family to deal with, Tiger did not, also Jack had to deal with Palmer, Floyd, Trevino, just to name a few! Who really consistantly is a threat to Tiger? Reminds me of the heavyweight division in boxing during the 90's when Tyson had no one.
I am somewhat surprised that no one has mentioned the quality of the equipment that Tiger enjoys. Todays' clubs are made of space age alloys and are so light a baby can pick them up. Even the balls are built different. I remember as a kid in the 60's cutting open golf balls...full of rubber bands surrounding a small black rubber ball.

Comparing athletes from across the eras we know is purely an argumentative sport all it's own.
04/10/08 @ 11:13
Comment from: David [Visitor] Email
For the early part of his career Jack had to win to support his family. Tiger was a multi-millionaire before he teed up his first ball. I think Jack had much more pressure on him.
09/15/09 @ 12:44
Comment from: moses holloway [Visitor] Email
This is not much to talk about because some of the player( jack) for one has already have stayed that WOODS is the best he have every seen CASE OVER. JACK wouldn,t LIE
09/15/09 @ 12:52
Comment from: pat [Visitor]
Tiger is the best by a landslide. Don't believe me?? Ask Jack. He said so himself....Note to Scott Tucker...Tyson lost his belt in 1990 to a nobody and went to jail for most of the early 90's. Check your time-line.
09/15/09 @ 15:10

Dates: January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
2 Rounds of golf same day. 12 Ounce New York Strip Steak Dinner. Price does not include tax and gratuity.