« Fear, loathing, rage and riots in Miami airport: Why American Airlines is the worst airline in the world, Chapter 398Pine Lakes restoration in Myrtle Beach on schedule »

Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Well, there's a lesson in this, Tim. This is why people have to be held responsible for their actions. While I do believe in helping good people (through private charities) who are down on their luck, I don't tolerate the nonsense about how the ghetto is in sorry shape shape because of the wider society. If you commit crime and drive out business and investment money, litter your streets and vandalize your infrastructure, and then side with criminals because you passionately hate the police, you'll be living in a toilet. And, you're right, in that there are good people in such areas who suffer. But as Edmund Burke said, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

As for St. Croix, if I governed the island and had carte blanche, I could eliminate 99 percent of all crime within a year. And I think you know that I could do it, too.
07/01/08 @ 16:08
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
I don't necessarily agree with your last two sentences, but I agree with most of the rest of what you said, which doesn't exactly happen all the time.

And I'm all for that Texas boy who shot-gunned those two robbers. I got NO problem with that. Of course, he could have shot them in the legs, but well, he didn't...
07/01/08 @ 17:54
Comment from: Mike McBride [Visitor]
Wow..St. Croix must have REALLY changed in the past few years. My wife and I honeymooned there in 2001, and we never ran into or so much as sniffed a problem. Stayed at Cheney Bay, did the Big Beard sailing & snorkeling tour, partied at Styx & other establishments in Christiansted, and dealt with nothing but friendly people. Best vacation ever. Too bad the place has gone downhill.
07/02/08 @ 00:06
Comment from: John [Visitor] Email
This article is filled with misinformation. I have lived on St Croix for the past 10 years and never had a problem. I live in Christiansted. The comment about the cruise ships leaving because of crime is bull! St Thomas has had a higher crime rate than St Croix for years. In any case I don't miss the cruise ships, who wants 25,000 tourists walking around town every day. St Thomas is welcome to the tourists and the crime.
07/02/08 @ 00:39
Comment from: Linda [Visitor] Email
I'm sorry, I think I missed the point of your comments. How were the golf courses? Did you play all three? What besides gossiping with cabbies did you do?
07/02/08 @ 01:11
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
I'm here on business. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have to, believe me.

07/02/08 @ 05:59
Comment from: Bombi [Visitor] Email
It appears Tim is challeged from a multi-cultural perspective. It's aways good to be aware of crime wherever one vacations.
Perhaps more tourism and visitors are are good thing, but I certainly don't look forward to the crowds and traffic.
Tim, did you actually play golf? Where? Did you break 100?
07/02/08 @ 08:10
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Tim,

I agree with you about Mr. Horn (the Texas boy). I don't think any decent person would like the feeling of killing two human beings, and I myself would have -- were I to take violent action in an identical situation -- aimed for the legs. Since the two miscreants were fleeing and a shotgun was the weapon at hand, such a course wouldn't have been unrealistic. Of course, perhaps Horn considered other factors; maybe he was concerned about the increased chances of errant shot endangering innocents if he aimed for smaller body parts.

Regardless, I was happy to hear that the Texas grand jury refused to indict Horn. My attitude with respect to these matters is that you buy yo' ticket and you takes yo' chances. While I don't say that theft warrants the death penalty, if you get killed during the commission of a crime, so be it. That's the risk you take if you want to do evil. Moreover, if more people stepped up to the plate and thwarted crime, we'd have fewer criminals.

As for my comment about governing St. Croix, believe it or not, I wasn't implying that I'd shoot miscreants right and left. I'm not actually a proponent of wide application of the death penalty, and I know that I could administer punishments short of death that would be harsh enough to act as a deterrent (just think medieval minus the torture).

It's interesting, though, that John says crime isn't that bad in St. Croix. I wonder what accounts for the difference in perception.
07/02/08 @ 09:19
Comment from: Limin on STX [Visitor] Email
Tim... maybe you should stick with reviewing golf... and save the vacation reviews for others. Obviously you missed the whole point of St. Croix. We don't want to be St. Thomas. We have no desire for Christiansted to feel like Charlotte Amalie. Our favorite visitors are the ones who come to have fun in the sun, dive, golf, eat well at our great restaurants, enjoy our many historical sights and day tours, and relax. IE Vacation. Your comments on the tourism and cruise ships leaving because of robbings/beatings, are just plain false. Talking to Cabbies for your facts may not be your best source.
I've lived here 10 years. I may not be Crucian (note the spelling), but I am a resident and I love it here. STX isn't perfect, no place is, but I wouldn't live anywere else. I highly recommend St. Croix for family vacations and as a great place to move to. You missed out on not discovering the very real beauty of St. Croix, its people, its beaches, its lifestyle. If you didn't like it, don't come back.
07/02/08 @ 10:42
Comment from: Jim [Visitor] Email
You quoted "cabbies" who would of course appreciate more night life and cruise ships. Where's the golf review?

I remember my first visit to StX. I didn't like it at first. But then I got into the slower pace of life and the pleasantness of its people, and since moving here have fallen in love with it, warts and all. Problems? Sure. What place doesn't have them.

And what's with the "bodyguards" at the golf course comment? Only thing that's ever bothered me there were mosquitos at dusk.
07/02/08 @ 11:15
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
I was here on business this trip, and didn't have time to review any golf courses.

Please click to our Caribbean section (http://www.worldgolf.com/courses/caribbean/) for reviews on St. Croix golf courses.

I have taken pains to emphasize my affection for the people of St. Croix. It's their government I believe that is failing them.

I also talked to a lot of people -- non-cabby, long-time residents -- who, almost to a person - said their number one concern on the island is crime.

Various polls and statistics, by government and other agencies, back this up.

Don't recall any golf course bodyguards comments.
07/02/08 @ 15:35
Comment from: John G. [Visitor] Email
Golf on St. Croix! This year my brother in law and I played Carambola. Great course, reaonable and challenging. My wife and I have a place at Cheney Bay and love it. This year we went to St. John for two days, hated it, crowded, no place to park and the police attitude was horible. We love St Croix and will be there again next year.
07/07/08 @ 10:04
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
I don't have a dog in this hunt, per se - since I have a condo in Nevis. HOWEVER, I'll never visit any of the US Virgins ever again. They are ALL poorly administered and have many problems (like environmental issues) besides a high crime (against tourists) rate. Let the cruise ships have them ALL!
07/10/08 @ 15:30
Comment from: Kent Vreeland [Visitor] Email
I have to agree with many other comments. I have owned three vacation rental villas on the island for 10 years and have never had a problem at the villas or and my guests have never had a problem either. Sure there is crime, isn't there where you live? Are you scared? Should I stay away from there for fear of my life?

I don't think you actually visited St. Croix. Maybe you were on a different island? Youe certainly not talking about the St. Croix I know and love. Spreading this kind mis-information doesn't help anyone, especailly the people on the island you are so concerned about!
07/11/08 @ 15:11

Dates: October 17, 2016 - December 31, 2017
This package includes 4 nights and 4 rounds of golf in the golf capital of the world!