« Here's hoping Sergio Garcia never wins a majorPhil Mickelson gung-ho over golf in the Olympics »

You can bet Azinger will have a chat with Mahan, if he hasn't already.
08/07/08 @ 14:52
Comment from: Chris Baldwin [Member] Email
Mahan just shot 11-over in the first round of the PGA Championship, putting him ahead of only two of the club pros that populate this field at the moment. He doesn't have to worry about the Ryder Cup anymore.

And Paul Azinger's sort of a wimpy captain. He's stuck up for Mahan in press conferences.

08/07/08 @ 16:29
Baldy means that Mahan doesn't have to worry about qualifying automatically. He still will likely be a captain's pick - unless he keeps shooting around 80 for the next 3 weeks.
08/08/08 @ 09:42
Comment from: Oliver Sudden [Visitor] Email
I think if you could deep inside the head and heart of many professional golfers you would find they don't want to play in the Ryder Cup or similar events. I give full credit to pro athletes in other sports that won't be intimidated into "playing for your country" for free so empty suits can make millions. When Tiger said he thought the players should be allowed to donate some money to their favorite charity he caught a lot of flack and why ? Because the people making the money off these events are scared sh**less that one day the players will tell them to shove it.
08/08/08 @ 22:32
Comment from: Booger [Visitor] Email
The Ryder Cup is ridiculous. Why would
anyone want to waste a week of their
lives playing this "event"?
08/08/08 @ 23:23
Comment from: Tim McDonald [Member] Email
Oliver, you make a good point.

But, the players have it too good to ever rebel.
08/09/08 @ 08:29
Comment from: Billy Dawg [Visitor] Email
Nobody really cares if they play for pay, charities or for free - just so long as they play the matches. Best event in golf, period.
08/09/08 @ 14:53
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
I have no problem with a higher percentage of the profits going to the charities selected by the players, but pay for play for the Ryder Cup? NO WAY!

Booger, you should be committed for your own good (and mine) - it's the most nailbiting competition ever - and I've been on the losing side often enough in the past.
08/09/08 @ 16:37
Ahh, forget it...too much to say...read it here: http://www.travelgolf.com/blogs/ron.mon
08/10/08 @ 07:59
Comment from: KimS [Visitor] Email
Well, it is a rather long "event" but he is young and I imagine he will choose his words with more care in the future.
08/10/08 @ 20:04
Comment from: Booger [Visitor] Email
Why should I be committed, Wendy? Because you and I have a difference of opinion? You sound like a fan of Stalin.

The Ryder Cup sucks for the reasons Oliver pointed out. Even the wives are part of the show, wearing their "uniforms" as well. A joke.
08/11/08 @ 12:05
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
Booger - the "committal" was just to give you temporary respite from the forthcoming Ryder Cup fever - honest!
Apologies - didn't expect you to take the comment seriously.

Oliver also pointed out "that it is very exciting to watch on TV", which is where I'm coming from.

I am sure there are some players who regard RC as a waste of a week, but there are also those who have said it has been their ambition - a couple of them may have even been sincere?

Agree that the uniforms for wives are cringe-making and wish someone would have the nous to put a stop to it. Think I read somewhere that Faldo's ex may have a hand in designing this year's Euro joke version however.
08/11/08 @ 12:53
Comment from: Dave [Visitor] Email
I'm not sure if I like the Ryder Cup anymore or not.

If the best players in the world can't be arsed with it, neither can I.
08/11/08 @ 14:39

Dates: June 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Located just 20 minutes from Dublin, Carton House Hotel in Kildare is one of Ireland' best spa hotels. The "One Night Stay and Play" golf package lets you enjoy one night's bed and breakfast with a three-course evening meal and a round of golf per person on Carton House's O'Meara or Montgomerie Courses.